Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Best Cold Air Intake for the Focus ST?

138K views 143 replies 54 participants last post by  Duece McCracken 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new leftover 2016 Focus ST and im already looking at getting a cold air intake for mainly the sound.

What are your recommendations on one that sounds good and has decent proven power gains? So far, I know of Injen, Roush, and K&N

I will be sticking with a stock exhaust for now.

Thanks,
Mike

#47 ·
@jbeatzs31 what filter is that? Green? If so, are you running it with the end still open? (Can't tell from the pic) And what's the benefit to running a vented oil fill cap? I remember that back in the hot rod days, but is there any benefit on these motors? Wonder how doing that interacts with the PCV system? (Sorry to change gears on the thread)

#67 ·
looks: CP-E hands down.

#68 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Trunk

My $120 intake combo, doubt it does much for power. Only did a quick drive and noticed some turbo noise which was better than 0 with the stock cover.

Reactions: angrychair
#76 ·
So where are you guys getting your RS lids from? I can find them for $70-80 at various stores online. I'm not seeing them any cheaper

#96 ·
Reactions: CaliJoe
#97 ·
save your $$......I made a custom "Roush type" one by simply cutting the top of the stock box top and adding a heat shield along the top of where I cut......some other guys on here did as well. But I ended up just going back to using the stock top and fabricating a heat shield on top.....actually indents the hood heat shield. As good as you can get......intake mods are really for show with this car.

#101 ·
received the RS airbox today. I will post both airboxes beside each other when I do the install.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#103 ·
the RS air box is $47 and comes with a filter...the bottom half of the air box and the filter are the exact same thing as the stock ST box.

I've noticed a bit of top end pick up and noise from my RS box and mountune intake elbow.

#104 ·
adding a BOV to a car with a draw through airflow meter will cause the car to run pig rich, if you want more turbo noise run and open intake box with a KN or other high flow air filter

you'll have the turbo noises that you are looking for without being obnoxious and looking like a ricer, an aftermarket bypass valve(mountune makes one iirc) should also add more sound as well, i remember when i switched from the stock bypass valve on my eclipse to a GFB evo9 adjustable valve, keeping it at 100% recirculation made my car sound like it had a HKS SSQV BOV so i imagine an aftermarket BPV for this car would do something similar

#110 · (Edited)
I have the AF Dynamic intake off amazon for $160. Simple to install and looks like every other cai for double the money. Came with the same metal shroud as the injen setup but i hate how it blocked off the air inlets from the front end. So i cut my oem box to accept the new tube. Love how it looks for the money

Left is with bottom box on. Right is metal shroud

Attachments

#134 ·
eh?? wth that looks like crap!!! I can see the RS sticking out around the ST, might as well have the glue bulging out from under the sides too... holy fkn ghetto setup!!! lol

#114 ·
^^Looks good!

I'm looking to do my first few mods and was considering the intake. Are the snorkels like the Ford Performance really not of that much benefit? I gather the IC will cool the air enough in stock form that an intake really wont make a difference?

I'm a major newb to turbo cars and am studying these threads to learn.

#115 ·
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
This is just my opinion but I believe the coldest air intake you're going to get is with the closed lid stock box with a snorkel. Reason: The stock box is keeping the most engine bay heat out with the closed lid and the snorkel is sucking air in from the coolest place possible (front of the grill), plus at speed it's acting like a air ram. I would upgrade the intake tube. Again, these are just my thoughts and I might be way off :popped out:

#116 ·
Mountune seems to think the RS airbox is designed to reduce pressure loss, however there was an article in carmagazineuk that stated Ford engineers designed that open section which seals to hood for when the car is running with the hood/bonnet open like on a dyno. I think if you run a snorkel you need to seal every opening (stock lid, closed-end filter) for maximum functionality.

Engineering an icon - Ep 1

#117 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.