Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of stock snowflakes last weekend. They are in great shape, aside from a ton of brake dust. I've never let a set of wheels get that dirty, so I've never had to really deep clean wheels before. I was going to use Mean Green, but was curious if anyone knew of something better. Going to take them to the car wash tonight.

Sent from a new potato

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I use dawn dish soap and a soft bristle brush. Be careful not to get the soap on the car; dish soap is not really good for auto paint, but it's less harsh on the wheel paint than wheel cleaner.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Reactions: LMStone510

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This is my go-to product after a track day. There's nothing harder to clean off your wheels than track pad dust. Warning: wear gloves or you'll smell it on your hands for several days.
Yeah, it does smell bad it is true!

But this is the worst smelling stuff ever: 75W90RHD gear oil

We used it for gear oil on the rally car, and it smells like seriously rotting fish -- after the maggots have been there awhile. I spilled a little on me once and wound up throwing my clothes away!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That stuff sounds like a winner, definitely not cheap though.
You can get it cheaper at AutoZone and O'Reilly's; probably on Amazon too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner is damn good too. I prefer it over Griot's.

Also, invest in a set of wheel woolies. Makes cleaning the barrel, caliper, and backside of the spokes super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner is damn good too. I prefer it over Griot's.

Also, invest in a set of wheel woolies. Makes cleaning the barrel, caliper, and backside of the spokes super easy.
werd - Sonax is the bomb - use 0000 steel wool for tough spots...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner does wonders for my ST's wheels.

Another thing to consider is a coat of wheel wax after cleaning them. If you do that, you should be able to just hit them with the hose in between washes to get rid of brake dust.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dish soap isn't good for a car? My old car literally got washed 1-2 times per month with dawn. For like 2 years. Lmao news to me.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner does wonders for my ST's wheels.

Another thing to consider is a coat of wheel wax after cleaning them. If you do that, you should be able to just hit them with the hose in between washes to get rid of brake dust.
Since they are my winter wheels, I'm going to plastidip for protection.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Dawn/Dish soap doesn't hurt the paint but it's what I use when I want to remove the wax prior to using clay & the pc.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
If you want something cheap and readily available, Eagle One A to Z has been great for me. Follow it up with something like CG's Hybrid V07 or a spray wax (or both) and they'll stay easy to clean!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Actually the Mean Green did a great job. Sprayed it on, let it sit for a few minutes, and it came off with light scrubbing. Now onto dipping them tomorrow

Sent from a new potato

1 - 16 of 16 Posts