Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a 2014 Focus ST. I LOVE it. Everything about it inside and out is in flawless condition. Just 30k miles.

I am looking for advice on the most basic performance upgrades to begin with. It came with a cold air intake and blow off valve installed.

I am looking at a cat back exhaust, down pipe, FMIC, flash, etc. My question is out of those options, which would be the best bang for your buck purchase in terms of performance enhancements?

I greatly appreciate your input - thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a 2014 Focus ST. I LOVE it. Everything about it inside and out is in flawless condition. Just 30k miles.

I am looking for advice on the most basic performance upgrades to begin with. It came with a cold air intake and blow off valve installed.

I am looking at a cat back exhaust, down pipe, FMIC, flash, etc. My question is out of those options, which would be the best bang for your buck purchase in terms of performance enhancements?

I greatly appreciate your input - thanks!
Either a FMIC or a flash. Most people run the Cobb accessport but I believe SCT makes one for us as well. The FMIC will make the car be more consistent as the stock one heats soaks badly. The accessport will allow you to get a custom tune and make more power safely. The Cobb OTS tunes are crap. And welcome to the community.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Most horsepower gain mods:
FMIC (read bottom of post), Downpipe (read bottom of post), Accessport(doesn't do much without the other stuff though...)

Most safe/better for your car:
FMIC (Keep charge temps down since our stock one BLOWS and heat soaks after just 1 pull)

Most pointless for everything except noise:
Cat back (does 0 performance gain basically)
Blow off (same as above, just sound)

Neglected, but extremely important:
Tires
Rear Motor Mount

Keep in mind, FMIC and DP don't do anything at all as far as ADDING HORSEPOWER until you get the accessport and tune the car. The intercooler is a great idea even if you don't ever tune it at all. Just to keep charge temps low.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Most horsepower gain mods:
FMIC (read bottom of post), Downpipe (read bottom of post), Accessport(doesn't do much without the other stuff though...)

Most safe/better for your car:
FMIC (Keep charge temps down since our stock one BLOWS and heat soaks after just 1 pull)

Most pointless for everything except noise:
Cat back (does 0 performance gain basically)
Blow off (same as above, just sound)

Neglected, but extremely important:
Tires
Rear Motor Mount

Keep in mind, FMIC and DP don't do anything at all as far as ADDING HORSEPOWER until you get the accessport and tune the car. The intercooler is a great idea even if you don't ever tune it at all. Just to keep charge temps low.
agree...
I would add that the DP if replaced with catless will help reduce engine bay temps by removed the cat from the engine by.

no harm in adding a FMIC and catless and then later down the road pick up a tune right? I know the car will not "gain HP/tq" without the tune but the tune isn't required for the bolt ons?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
agree...
I would add that the DP if replaced with catless will help reduce engine bay temps by removed the cat from the engine by.

no harm in adding a FMIC and catless and then later down the road pick up a tune right? I know the car will not "gain HP/tq" without the tune but the tune isn't required for the bolt ons?
If you go catless you will have a check engine light unless you either A- buy a defouler and install it on the downpipe's downwind O2 sensor or B- Tune it out. Other than that, no it won't cause any issues other than possible being a little rich from the catless pipe. Maybe.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If you go catless you will have a check engine light unless you either A- buy a defouler and install it on the downpipe's downwind O2 sensor or B- Tune it out. Other than that, no it won't cause any issues other than possible being a little rich from the catless pipe. Maybe.
yeah you would need a J-type defouler for sure...

Tune is needed for sure but if you needed/wanted to do it in steps and not all at once

·
Registered
593 Posts
I gotta agree with everything that Brian has said...BUT honestly just loading on a stage 1 OTS tune with the accessport makes the car respond differently so it will feel faster lol (throttle response, boost there all the time, not that bogus overboost function that comes on at high rpm). Still gotta be careful with multiple pulls on the OEM FMIC.

Personally I'd stick with the FMIC before the DP just being on the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I gotta agree with everything that Brian has said...BUT honestly just loading on a stage 1 OTS tune with the accessport makes the car respond differently so it will feel faster lol (throttle response, boost there all the time, not that bogus overboost function that comes on at high rpm). Still gotta be careful with multiple pulls on the OEM FMIC.

Personally I'd stick with the FMIC before the DP just being on the safe side.
Thanks. And it's true, throttle response and torque adjustment ALONE will make the car feel a lot more powerful and fun. The last part of your reply I bolded I agree with completely. I intentionally waited to install my DP until I had the FMIC. Having the DP is just another thing to make you want to push the car and overheat the stock FMIC

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks. And it's true, throttle response and torque adjustment ALONE will make the car feel a lot more powerful and fun. The last part of your reply I bolded I agree with completely. I intentionally waited to install my DP until I had the FMIC. Having the DP is just another thing to make you want to push the car and overheat the stock FMIC
I think most will agree with all of this. Your next move should be a tune and intercooler. It's not a horse power thing but a short shift kit is nice to have as well. Get those done and then look at downpipe. Depends on what you want to do with the car, money you want to spend. Figure out a spot you think you'll stop and use your tune. Stratifed and FSWERKS are used a lot. I used FSWERKS and there awesome. With the Accesport you get a custom tune and one other one for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts