Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best bang for my buck hp wise need help!!!

I got a 2016 st2 and I am looking at the Cobb stage 3 package threw stratified and was wondering if spending almost 3500$ is worth it ?.....or what could I get with that amount that would give me better power?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Buy used for best bang for the buck. Do research for best brands for parts. No need to buy a package of overpriced parts.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I got a 2016 st2 and I am looking at the Cobb stage 3 package threw stratified and was wondering if spending almost 3500$ is worth it ?.....or what could I get with that amount that would give me better power?
This is MSRP pricing obviously but:

ATP 2867r: 2200
ATP FMIC: 674.95
Tial Q: 259
ATP elbow for tial Q: 49
Symposer delete: 35

TOTAL: 3237.95

Obviously this doesn't include an Accessport. PM me if you have any questions.
This setup would make more money on a base tune than a stage 3 setup with after 10 revisions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather buy new but should I go with the stage 3 Cobb threw stratified or go with something else cause from what I hear that's not really putting a lot out for 3500$ .....but price wise I'm looking to spen around that

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
For the most part, getting a tune and FMIC will put you at near the max of the stock turbo. If you have E85 available, you will be at the max. An intake is not necessary. An exhaust doesn't add all that much either. Intercooler piping is not necessary.

Now getting a short shifter arm or plate, and short shifter from someone like Boomba doesn't add power, but is a great modification. The bushings help a bunch too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanna make a good amount of power and am sure that's gotta be by getting a bigger turbo ....im willing to spend around 3500 or so

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I wanna make a good amount of power and am sure that's gotta be by getting a bigger turbo ....im willing to spend around 3500 or so
If you want to upgrade your turbo, you will be maxed around 350-375whp with the stock fuel system and octane. If you have access to e85, you can get aux fuel to get more fuel for power. Or if you don't, get a water meth kit.

Check Stratified out. They have big turbo and tuning packages. Can get the extra fueling and everything there. Probably can get the big turbo and ap for your budget.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just a big turbo and fmic and accessport would do it ?....I would have to change anything else like the downpipe or anything

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
So just a big turbo and fmic and accessport would do it ?....I would have to change anything else like the downpipe or anything
With a Garrett turbo, you could use the stock downpipe if you didn't have the budget for an aftermarket one.

You would need a BOV which would mean a hot side or cold side intercooler pipe. People usually run a symposer delete for a vacuum source for the BOV.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
WMI would be the way to go then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely thinking about going with stratified with the tune ...I hear nothing but good things from them

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Definitely one of the best. I'm using them for my own big turbo tuning.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought the Cobb stage 2 package, then added a RMM and a Milltek catback, I really like Cobb's products, had a lot of success with them with my wrx. Didn't buy their "stage 3" package because I think non muffled catbacks are to loud, So I bought the non-resonated Milltek(but thats all personal preference) You could piece it together cheaper out of cheaper parts I'm sure though. A lot of people seem to buy the Accessport, an el cheapo intercooler, catless downpipe, load a "stage 3" map and call it a day.

You can get an ATP turbo kit for ~$2200 bucks, but then you still need an intercooler, RMM, BOV, and downpipe at minimum. so figure another ~$1000 for el cheapo stuff up to double that for quality parts. Most people do full bolt ons then eventually upgrade to a big turbo, but by no means does that mean you have to it that way. But the thought process there is you'll need all those bolt ons for the BT anyways. So get them now and upgrade to the larger turbo later.

I'd say best bang for the buck is all relative. For example, I bought a brand new car, and so I wanted to buy quality proven parts for it that I felt were gonna last a long time, fit correctly, and improve performance. I consider $3500 spent on quality mods for a brand new ~30k car to not be that much. Some other members here will troll you for spending that much because their ebay downpipe and intercooler cost them $400 or something. In the end its your finances, buy what you can afford have fun!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got my car to stage 3 buying used parts one at a time for $800. got a FMIC, COBB AC, catless DP and CAI from FoST owners locally. id buy used parts if i were you. especially access ports. they hold their value.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Before buying, I would kick around the forum a bit more. We even have a section dedicated to BT installs. Lots of great info there to get your bearings.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For the most part, getting a tune and FMIC will put you at near the max of the stock turbo. If you have E85 available, you will be at the max. An intake is not necessary. An exhaust doesn't add all that much either. Intercooler piping is not necessary.

Now getting a short shifter arm or plate, and short shifter from someone like Boomba doesn't add power, but is a great modification. The bushings help a bunch too.
I heard the short shifter plate messes up transmission in ling run, and truth to this?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts