Ford Focus ST Forum banner
701 - 720 of 724 Posts

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Unless the dropped in without much resistance, dont bother, man. They're telling you to do that as a CYA.
Car is still on jackstands, tires off. Not a big deal to unbolt the lca toe link, press out, clean, press in, bolt, torque.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,852 Posts
Car is still on jackstands, tires off. Not a big deal to unbolt the lca toe link, press out, clean, press in, bolt, torque.
On ALL the oem vehicles that use pillow bushings, do you think any manufacturer would spare the expense to put loctite or retaining compound on them for production purposes? Thats pennies per car they can and will save.

Of all the pillow ball bushings I've replaced on the rear of ford explorers and hyundai sonatas, i always used anti-sieze. The mechanical fit between the part and the arm is pretty extreme.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
On ALL the oem vehicles that use pillow bushings, do you think any manufacturer would spare the expense to put loctite or retaining compound on them for production purposes? Thats pennies per car they can and will save.

Of all the pillow ball bushings I've replaced on the rear of ford explorers and hyundai sonatas, i always used anti-sieze. The mechanical fit between the part and the arm is pretty extreme.
From the factory, as a virgin press fit, no.

She's no virgin now though, and this bearing is differently designed. Different materials, not the same fit as the previous.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,852 Posts
From the factory, as a virgin press fit, no.

She's no virgin now though, and this bearing is differently designed. Different materials, not the same fit as the previous.
Well, suit yourself. Lol. Just trying to save you some hassle.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Well, suit yourself. Lol. Just trying to save you some hassle.
Lol, guy's over hear trying to talk me out of doing the job by the book.

Its not a big deal. I have to go in that area to do the rok blox anyway.

I'm not saying it's hyper critical, but Ford had something happen, for them to print that. Given my record of oddball failures, not going to risk it, lmfao

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·

Swapped the fluid in the MT82D4, and changed the diff fluid out to the 75w-110 Redline. I took no pics of that though, lmfao

I used a Slippery Pete pump, which leaked at the "Third hand, helper" thingy from the cold temp. So I did it without.

Using a auto fluid measuring cup, I removed fluid from one bottle of each different fluid, to meet the amount I needed for a fill. Was able to pump it all in, pretty much. No worries there.

I had some very light, brass speckles, very very tiny, and not many at all, from the trans fluid. Poor Synchros...

No chunks.

I did not use a friction modifyer in the rear. The Redline fluid claims to have one already or some jazz like that. SO, I will find out pretty quickly if I need one, lol!!

Rear fluid, looked fine, no chunks thankfully.

It's 20 degrees out. So be happy I took the ones I did, lol

I UNLEASHED THE SUN!!!!!

Steeda clutch spring and HD perch. My needle nose vice grips were not gripping well. It was a bit sketchy, I uses a manual set of needle nose to pull the assembly out. I did not want my fingers in there. Had the Vice grips slip off a few times.

Installed the rear rokblokz while I had the tires off. Easy stuff. Not obnoxious either, thankfully.

I Removed, cleaned and torqued with red loctite the drivers side axle nut too.

Shes back on the ground now. Just need to do the front rokbloks.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,146 Posts
Thanks for sharing the MT LV find! 😎

I'm gonna use it as an excuse to call or go by a local race shop that has Redline oils to check on it.
I got MTL 75w80 for a Mazda there before when I needed it quick.
They had a Buick Grand National on the Dyno tuning and mostly older stuff, but a few newer turbo cars around. Pre-covid.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
Thanks for sharing the MT LV find! 😎

I'm gonna use it as an excuse to call or go by a local race shop that has Redline oils to check on it.
I got MTL 75w80 for a Mazda there before when I needed it quick.
They had a Buick Grand National on the Dyno tuning and mostly older stuff, but a few newer turbo cars around. Pre-covid.
I'll let you know how it feels! Redline makes some good stuff.

My local speed shop "extreme psi" is my go to for redline fluids, and hks.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
Have you drove it since the clutch spring swap? Or is it still on jack stands?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Actually, she was on race ramps and jackstands, i leveled out the frame for the fill/drain operations. Literally put a 2' level on the frame, lol

Shes on the ground, all together. Just gitta slap on the front rokblokz

Its like 30 degrees out. I'll be driving it tomorrow for sure.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Actually, she was on race ramps and jackstands, i leveled out the frame for the fill/drain operations. Literally put a 2' level on the frame, lol

Shes on the ground, all together. Just gitta slap on the front rokblokz

Its like 30 degrees out. I'll be driving it tomorrow for sure.
Curious how the clutch spring feels. I don't remember there being a huge difference in the ST but since I'm exercising the credit card for tranny **** I might as well get it if it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·

Ok, the rok blox are on, but I need to straighten them out a bit, lol

They dont have any slots for adjustment, so theres only so much I can do.

They are quite subtle though, unlike the Rally Armor flaps I had on my previous car, lmfao

Took the car out for a cruize.

Let it warm up completely, and took her out. It's like 35 degrees out.

First shift into third and it hung up a smidge, not really a nibble, but not smooth.

This was the main thing I was hoping to fix.

Second thing I wanted to try and mitigate, was diff whine.

Diff whine is unchanged, lmfao! I figured as much. I may end up doing some kind of sound deadening in the trunk, and under the rear seats some.

After driving the car some, that 3rd gear stumble was completely gone. Every gear is shifting really smooth actually. I'll get more info tomorrow on a cold start again. WHen she's hot though, she's shifting perfect! Which is a positive change for sure.

Diff whine did not increase or decrease, even when hot.

Steeda clutch spring, Pedal is easier to manipulate, easier to slip/rub. So thats a win, I kinda wish it was a bit stiffer, thats just my personal feel. I will probably just get used to it and it'll be fine.

I didn't hoon it or anything, just straight line on the highway. I was more concerned with the trans and the diff, than trying to feel the difference with the toe links and toe link bearings, lol

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·

Well, Im a tester for this part!! So it's a FREEEEBIE!!

They just shipped it today!!

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #715 · (Edited)

Some goodies!!

I really wanted all "Natural" Aluminum stuff, but Boomba had none, and no eta. So I bought black to hold me over.

The other stuff is 5 Spurs center caps and Bullitt power button!!

For some reason I thought the center caps were going to be raised crosshairs, but alas, I was mistaken. Which makes me like them a bit less, but they'll clean easier. I may outsource to get them that way, idk yet, lol

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
View attachment 644266

Some goodies!!

I really wanted all "Natural" Aluminum stuff, but Boomba had none, and no eta. So I bought black to hold me over.

The other stuff is 5 Spurs center caps and Bullitt power button!!

For some reason I thought the center caps were going to be raised crosshairs, but alas, I was mistaken. Which makes me like them a bit less, but they'll clean easier. I may outsource to get them that way, idk yet, lol
That link takes me to the "ST of the Month" thread... 😕

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·

Soler Perf 91mm TB is here! Looks great, im going to try and devise my sequence of events for datalogging pre, and post TB install. Idle logs, part throttle logs, and WOT pulls.

701 - 720 of 724 Posts