Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 491 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I decided to go ahead and make my own grille. I am calling it the deep dish grille because I plan to have it recessed inward about 2 inches. I ordered a OEM grille that I received today and already started cutting away at it. I cut all of the honeycomb out and all that i have left is the outside ring and the two vertical bars. I am not totally set on which mesh I will be putting in the back of the grille. I currently have a sheet of perf hexagon aluminum powder coated black that I got on customcargrilles.com. It turn out that the guy that runs the website is local and i went to his house to check out all of the mesh available and he has a few more that I think might be cool including a plastic one that looks very close to out stock honeycomb. I added pictures of the mesh I have right now and a few pictures of the current progress. mesh.PNG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG

Edit: I probably should add that the plan is to possibility have a mold made and become a vendor then start selling some grilles if everything goes well.

Edit for Update 10/1/15: The Grille is in casting right now they should be poring silicon today. I expect parts Monday or Tuesday. I really want to have it on my car by Saturday the 10th for a meet so i will bust my but during the week to get it finished.

some have had a few questions and heres a few of the answers all in one spot so you don't have to search through the thread.
1. Material will be a cast urethane ring and a ABS mesh or aluminum mesh.
2. They will be painted gloss black, possible color match to your car for extra price.
3. This is a complete replacement of the factory grille.
4. It is recessed 2" in the middle and tapers down to 1" at each end to avoid the crash bar.
5. I do not know it it will fit with a snorkle
6. I do not believe there will be a fitment issue with any aftermarket intercooler.
7. And the most asked question. The price will be between $400-$500

Here are some pictures from a test fit with the aluminum mesh

Here is a picture with the ABS mesh

Here are some pictures from casting

UPDATE: 10/22/15
I am in the final stages of getting everything sorted out with choosing the correct material.
A few quick note:
-I have figured out that the mesh is not ABS and the info on the site i got it from was wrong.
-This is not a bad thing it just does not allow me to glue anything to it and paint will not stick to it, Therefor i had to change up my mounting Technic and the mesh will not be gloss black it will be a flat black. (the recessed ring will be gloss black)
-The mesh not being ABS also eases my worries about it not being UV stable (no ABS is) this material is UV stable so it will not fade

I am sorry that this is taking awhile but it is a side project and I have a real job and life that is taking up time from working on fun things like the grille :crazy: I am taking pride in this and am enjoying every bit about it is is a huge learning experience and i thank everyone for the support along the way.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Looks great! I was on-track to do similar things in an effort to spice up the front end, but I ran into a clearance issue when I installed my PIAA's behind the grille. So I'm sticking with the stock grille sanded down. But I applaud you on biting into this, a lot of people could end up very happy from your work!

Reactions: Beeks

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
until the sticker shock of a mold comes around + facilitated costs for manufacturing/injection molding. I really cant wait to see what you come up with though, and curious how you will get it recessed and nice looking.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
until the sticker shock of a mold comes around + facilitated costs for manufacturing/injection molding. I really cant wait to see what you come up with though, and curious how you will get it recessed and nice looking.
Yeah a mold that size will be a big chunk of cash. It's going to be a silicone mold which will limit the amount of parts it can do and I'm guessing it will cost about 2k for just the mold. I have a few connections I use at work that can get me a mold and parts once I have the prototype made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Yeah a mold that size will be a big chunk of cash. It's going to be a silicone mold which will limit the amount of parts it can do and I'm guessing it will cost about 2k for just the mold. I have a few connections I use at work that can get me a mold and parts once I have the prototype made.

2K for silicone?! ... i can see it being around 800-900 for platinum silicon, and you could get a number of copies out of each molds... but thats obviously with doing it yourself... I have a number of smaller sized molds with the stuff from Smooth-On silicon, amazing product.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tomorrow will be a big day. I will be working on this all day long and I am hopping to have near finished pictures.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2K for silicone?! ... i can see it being around 800-900 for platinum silicon, and you could get a number of copies out of each molds... but thats obviously with doing it yourself... I have a number of smaller sized molds with the stuff from Smooth-On silicon, amazing product.
2k was just a quick guess based on what some of the stuff we get charged at work for but I also have heard they charge us a premium just because they know we will pay it and they deliver it all to us.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
2k was just a quick guess based on what some of the stuff we get charged at work for but I also have heard they charge us a premium just because they know we will pay it and they deliver it all to us.

ahh... ****ing vendor markup haha... But good luck, and hopefully this comes to fruition ... considering the horrible job TLF did at pushing forward with this... especially considering they made the Fusion one in no time at all, then the focus one just fell on its ass hard.

Reactions: Beeks

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm hoping something similar to the new Maserati grills, would further enhance the gaping maw of the ST.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looks great! I was on-track to do similar things in an effort to spice up the front end, but I ran into a clearance issue when I installed my PIAA's behind the grille. So I'm sticking with the stock grille sanded down. But I applaud you on biting into this, a lot of people could end up very happy from your work!
This is my worry too I haven't checked with the beast either I guess I can go look real quick.

From the face of the grill to my light bar is JUST over 1.5 inches so I couldn't do more than about a 1 1/4 inch recess that sucks because 2 inch will look mean! Well unless I made an opening in the mesh....but that kinda defeats the purpose of my "hidden" light bar.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is my worry too I haven't checked with the beast either I guess I can go look real quick.
Right now it's looking like it will be 2 inches from the front surface of the grille.

1 - 20 of 491 Posts