Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how many of you go over to focusrs.org our sister site but a lot.. And I mean a lot of guys are getting stock Dyno's and seeing numbers in the 250range.

Reading through a few pages and people are talking law suites and stuff.. Anyways just wanted to share. I was considering the switch really hard but I'm kinda glad I held off. Love my ST and I'm looking forward to a big turbo soon

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That seems a little low but not crazy. You have to remember AWD vehicles lose more power though the drivetrain, so a 20% difference in bhp and whp should be expected. With 345 bhp that would be slightly over 20% loss.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been reading the same and will find out on Wednesday what my car dyno's at. Havent heard anything about lawsuits but I doubt it will get to that point. From what they're saying right now its in the factory tune in N. America. Hopefully COBB can fix that. Besides the numbers, i'm super happy with the car and definitely recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Not sure how many of you go over to focusrs.org our sister site but a lot.. And I mean a lot of guys are getting stock Dyno's and seeing numbers in the 270 range.

Reading through a few pages and people are talking law suites and stuff.. Anyways just wanted to share. I was considering the switch really hard but I'm kinda glad I held off. Love my ST and I'm looking forward to a big turbo soon
250 whp not 270. Its sad

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reading the same and will find out on Wednesday what my car dyno's at. Havent heard anything about lawsuits but I doubt it will get to that point. From what they're saying right now its in the factory tune in N. America. Hopefully COBB can fix that. Besides the numbers, i'm super happy with the car and definitely recommend it.

Can you get back to us. I spent like an hour reading over there and got really depressed/happy at the same time. Feel bad for guys who just spent 39k+ for 250*hp-310

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems a little low but not crazy. You have to remember AWD vehicles lose more power though the drivetrain, so a 20% difference in bhp and whp should be expected. With 345 bhp that would be slightly over 20% loss.
250* hp

I personally saw a RS put down 270 then drop to 250 and back to 270. IG: theshopct for dyno sheet

·
Registered
506 Posts
250* hp

I personally saw a RS put down 270 then drop to 250 and back to 270. IG: theshopct for dyno sheet
The higher numbers are probably during over boost. Once you get an aftermarket tune it will be higher consistent numbers

Tap tap tap...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Even if the numbers are low just as we have 500+ hp st's there will be even more for the 2.3. At the end of the day I am sure it is still one hell of a car and looks great as well... I want one...:in love:

·
1,976 Posts
It is what it is, i'm sure a tune will do wonders on the RS platform. But I would never pay $40-$50k for a Focus, I would much rather drive a Shelby GT500 for that kind of money, so to each their own.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It is what it is, i'm sure a tune will do wonders on the RS platform. But I would never pay $40-$50k for a Focus, I would much rather drive a Shelby GT500 for that kind of money, so to each their own.
You are completely right but I do still want one. Will I ever buy one at that price NO. I could find way better things to do with 40k. But when put into retrospective that price without a dealer markup is really not to far off from the subarus, and they don't make the hatch any longer so I am sure there will be some people to jump ship and transition.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
You are talking stock tunes here. Keep in mind the magic number the ST's advertised were also overboost and people put down lower numbers. There is a number of factors outside of the fact that you have a larger loss do to AWD. Power figures are at the crank. Then you have to factor in drive train loss. Now what type of dyno are you on? Is the fuel 100% up to snuff? What about atmospheric conditions? Is there enough airflow to the fmic besides a garage fan? ETC. 270WHP sounds about right to me honestly on a stock tune. Besides dyno runs are for a base line, not a representation of how fast a car is. If all you want is a piece of paper with numbers on it, go get something else. If you want something to drive, from reviews, it sounds like much more car that the dynos are spitting out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are talking stock tunes here. Keep in mind the magic number the ST's advertised were also overboost and people put down lower numbers. There is a number of factors outside of the fact that you have a larger loss do to AWD. Power figures are at the crank. Then you have to factor in drive train loss. Now what type of dyno are you on? Is the fuel 100% up to snuff? What about atmospheric conditions? Is there enough airflow to the fmic besides a garage fan? ETC. 270WHP sounds about right to me honestly on a stock tune. Besides dyno runs are for a base line, not a representation of how fast a car is. If all you want is a piece of paper with numbers on it, go get something else. If you want something to drive, from reviews, it sounds like much more car that the dynos are spitting out.

Yeah.. You wanna void that warranty already?

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Yeah.. You wanna void that warranty already?
Same argument for when I first bought my ST in '13. You have the Magnuson–Moss act blah blah blah but some people don't care, some people do. There were a lot that kept it stock until after warranty, I chose not to and have had no issues. But this is something you take into account when you buy a new car.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
For those who havne't read it. Here are cliffs from a future RS owner (who isn't backing out)

Multiple people who have received their cars have either dyno'd the car, or been to a drag strip (haven't done both yet).

But Mishimoto, and Kaizen tuning are two of the more well known examples. Both cars consistently put down between 247-260whp. Which is low. The problem is that it seems the RS is not living up to the magazine tests. Highest trap speed so far is 103mph. The cars should be running more like 105mph, with maybe 107mph on the high end of average and some freaks slightly faster.

Multiple owners are also reporting that the boost is not stable. The car might run 23psi one day, but other days limited to 15-18psi. These readings are taken from the gauge cluster, and not a data log. So nothing is super accurate here.

But here is the silver lining.

The more well documented dyno's have seen the RS dyno near 290-300whp. But only ONCE. Then the car drops its output down to the lower ranges I mentioned previously.

So we know the car CAN do it. The problem is that there was a recent hold we learned about that the EPA put into place. The guess is that the EPA made Ford change the tune, and its resulted in this lack-luster inconsistent performance.

We've seen the cars trap in the 105-106mph range. We've seen cars put down near 300whp. But not consistently. And it only seems to be the North American cars.

One of the rumor's is that Ford is aware of it, and working on a fix. Cobb is rumored to be looking into it too.

So basically yes the car is capable. But it seems that Ford goofed somewhere. And the results are either from a change to the Tune to comply with EPA regs (this is a guess btw), or something that somehow slipped passed QA has been discovered now that the cars are in the wild.

Lots of rumors, lots of conjecture. Some people are wildly spouting off rage fueled theory. A few of us are attempting to dig as deeply into it as we can without our own cars to look at and datalog. So we are stuck waiting on other owners to post up the data.

If it really turns out to be a tune, then its an easy fix. If not, well, I suppose there are fixes for that too. But yes, legal action is a possibility if Ford cannot deliver on its 350hp and 324lb/ft promise. During overboost peak HP is not affected. Overboost only increases the torque figure from 324lb/ft to 350lb/ft during a narrow powerband. It supposed to engage for up to 20 seconds, and the timer resets after every throttle lift.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The sad thing is they are getting those numbers on a Dynojet. Throw a RS on a Mustang Dyno and really watch new RS owners cry. I do hope there is an explanation for this, for the sake of new RS owners.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It wasn't that they weren't putting down advertised power, it's just that they weren't consistent from run to run. Stock first run was found around 300whp over the few dyno sheets I saw, but then dropped to 250whp the next run.
Apparently it's just USDM RS' that are doing this? Apparently Ford and COBB are aware of what's going on and there's something in the works.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts