Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the internet for a comparison of these two devices without any success. I've seen plenty of people say good things about one or the other, but I'm curious about how they compare as far as features etc, not necessarily the tuning companies that support them. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

·
Administrator
12,232 Posts
I've been scouring the internet for a comparison of these two devices without any success. I've seen plenty of people say good things about one or the other, but I'm curious about how they compare as far as features etc, not necessarily the tuning companies that support them. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
I have both devices. AP3 is leagues better, in every aspect.

Only reason I have the BDX is because Cobb doesnt support my Edge Sport.

The AP3 is programmed to specifically read and interface with the focus ST, the BDX is a generic ford tuning device. Which leaves the available viewing parameters drastically less than an AP3. The cloud based map downloading now means i have to park in wifi range to download maps. Which can be worked around, but its not necessary. Adds bulk and complications to the unit. Dumb idea. A USB isnt hard to use.

The unit is clunky, the cord connection is huge. Like 2 inches of stiff because it put a micro usb inline sideways on it for no apparent reason, and enters the TOP of the unit for the obd. Which is terrible, theres no acceptable way to run this unit vertically, have to go horizontal. the magnetic mounting is horrible, if i breath the back plate pops off and the unit falls. The unit itself is quite large. Bdx that is.

I like the nice tactile buttons on the BDX, which is why i went with it over the livewire ts plus. Which i also have experience with.

Cobb is the best device for our cars, and its a 7 year old design. Nobody else gets it right like the AP3 does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. This is the kind of comparison I've been looking for. You've been immensely helpful. Thank you.

·
Administrator
12,232 Posts
Awesome. This is the kind of comparison I've been looking for. You've been immensely helpful. Thank you.
Yeah, you came to the right place for this one.

Everytime I use the BDX, I wish it was an AP3.

Reactions: AmericaRW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts