Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Setting it down low you probably need to; could be your end links making the noise.
End links that are too long just put unwanted preload on the sway bar. Shouldn't cause any noises.

Coilovers are just noisy in general. The top hats are less forgiving, there's no isolators on the springs where they meet the perches, etc. I ran BC's on a G37 I had years ago and had nothing but problems with them. The rears made noise constantly and it ended up being something internal in the shocks that BC refused to acknowledge. I will never run BC's after that experience and I will never run coilovers on a daily again. Sorry this isn't very helpful to your actual problem LOL

·
Registered
Kona Blue 2017 Focus ST st2 muffler + res delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
End links that are too long just put unwanted preload on the sway bar. Shouldn't cause any noises.

Coilovers are just noisy in general. The top hats are less forgiving, there's no isolators on the springs where they meet the perches, etc. I ran BC's on a G37 I had years ago and had nothing but problems with them. The rears made noise constantly and it ended up being something internal in the shocks that BC refused to acknowledge. I will never run BC's after that experience and I will never run coilovers on a daily again. Sorry this isn't very helpful to your actual problem LOL
I bought coilovers knowing something could go wrong or make noises. I had friends that had coilovers on their cars and they have had noises. The noise that my coilovers make don't sound terrible and also the shop I got my alignment at said it didn't sound like anything I should worry about. I still worry though that something could be wrong but theres not much I can do about it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Also, I had some confusion installing and setting up the rear. All the videos that I watched, they installed the spring adjustment part on the top of the spring when there clearly is a caution sticker that says to mount it on the bottom of the spring. There was also 2 rubber circle things that came in a separate bag and I have no idea where that goes
It depends on brand with where the height adjuster goes; some are on top and some on bottom.

With the front coilovers and the noise, did you adjust the spring preload? Could be some loading where the spring is too loose and has some movement, it might be binding and releasing. Here's a bc vid showing how to adjust it, starts at 2:40:

·
Registered
Kona Blue 2017 Focus ST st2 muffler + res delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I didnt change my preload but I did make sure that the spring was not loose. Im pretty sure bc has them set from the factory so i didnt mess with that. Pretty sure the noise is coming from end links though. I will check the next time i go home because I am at school now.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts