Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys use a battery tender or some other battery maintenance charger? I travel a lot for work so my car sits for weeks at a time throughout the year. Have always kept one on my truck, but this is my first new vehicle since '02; never had something this electronics heavy. Seems innocent enough but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
My ST is plugged into a Battery Tender right now, and will be until I take it out of storage in April.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My ST is not my primary vehicle, sometimes it goes a month or two without being driven and I have no had any issues. But I am in a warm climate, if you are in a cold/freezing climate then I probably would.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd throw a trickle charger on if it wasn't getting regular use. I take my ST out maybe once or twice a month at most. I checked the battery after 2 or 3 weeks and it was down to 12.2-12.3 volts. Put a charger on after I saw how quickly it discharged. The car will still start with 12.2 volts but recharging a 50% discharged battery all the time will stress the alternator.

Replacing the alternator does not look like a fun job. Removing the battery is already a PIA.

·
Registered
528 Posts
what's the difference between battery tender and trickle charger?

Does trickle charger just keep charging it and battery's life will be shortened , and might be a fire hazard if left for a long time and unattended?

Corvette came with a battery tender, it's the same as LockeLamora33's (ctek 3300) but only got 12v socket and no clamps or anything. I plugged that into focus' 12v sockets but I guess it works on vette only. (charging light comes on but after 14 hours or so there is no fully charged green light, but when I open the door the yellow charging light would come on again. Checked battery's voltage it's 12.2, didn't charge it at all!)

so thinking about getting another one, if they come on sale!

How many days of not driving the car will the car still be able to start up? around 30?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
what's the difference between battery tender and trickle charger?

Does trickle charger just keep charging it and battery's life will be shortened , and might be a fire hazard if left for a long time and unattended?

Corvette came with a battery tender, it's the same as LockeLamora33's (ctek 3300) but only got 12v socket and no clamps or anything. I plugged that into focus' 12v sockets but I guess it works on vette only. (charging light comes on but after 14 hours or so there is no fully charged green light, but when I open the door the yellow charging light would come on again. Checked battery's voltage it's 12.2, didn't charge it at all!)

so thinking about getting another one, if they come on sale!

How many days of not driving the car will the car still be able to start up? around 30?
It actually extends the battery life because it keeps it in prime range. The CTEK actually "cleans" the battery in some way I don't really understand and can slightly rejuvenate an old one. I literally kept my ST hooked up 6+ months and it started right up no problems first try. I also use a second one I have for my Polaris Ranger because the battery dies in cold weather super quickly and I have had no issues on that either the last two years.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It actually extends the battery life because it keeps it in prime range. The CTEK actually "cleans" the battery in some way I don't really understand and can slightly rejuvenate an old one. I literally kept my ST hooked up 6+ months and it started right up no problems first try. I also use a second one I have for my Polaris Ranger because the battery dies in cold weather super quickly and I have had no issues on that either the last two years.
Nice that it cleans and slightly rejuvenate an old battery, didn't know that but my ctek 3300 is the cheaper model, maybe it doesn't do that. But from what I have heard ctek is really good.

This vette guy's battery lasted 6.5 years, only 16k miles he doesn't drive it often and he always had the battery tender on. Man 6.5 years lol.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This was kind of interesting to me, before I didn't drive the car for twenty some days, and I always press unlock twice to make it chirp to see which garage I parked the car at. and after twenty some days it didn't chirp but car started up ok. I am wondering if the car was conserving battery so the normal chirp was disabled or the battery was just too low that it can't chirp. (but car started up right away so maybe it's the former one?) so just wanted to share that.

question does battery tender usually come with connection to the battery, or you can just connect to 12v socket inside the car? saw one that connects to 12v socket but that was a battery charger, I think most battery tender you connect to the battery which you have to leave hood open etc.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This was kind of interesting to me, before I didn't drive the car for twenty some days, and I always press unlock twice to make it chirp to see which garage I parked the car at. and after twenty some days it didn't chirp but car started up ok. I am wondering if the car was conserving battery so the normal chirp was disabled or the battery was just too low that it can't chirp. (but car started up right away so maybe it's the former one?) so just wanted to share that.

question does battery tender usually come with connection to the battery, or you can just connect to 12v socket inside the car? saw one that connects to 12v socket but that was a battery charger, I think most battery tender you connect to the battery which you have to leave hood open etc.
CTEK makes accessories for their tenders where you could leave the hood closed and charge it other ways, but for all regular purposes you plug it into the wall and pop the hood. There might be other brands that do similar or better though. To be honest I got turned on to CTEK on a polaris ranger forum so I know more about them for that application.

Reactions: FocusST101

·
Registered
311 Posts
Have used BatteryTenders for over 10 years, no issues. My motorcycle is always on a BatteryTender Jr, and if I'm gone for more than a couple of weeks I'll put the two cars on a BatteryTender. They always start right up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use a semi-permanently wired battery tender on my Dakota pickup, since I don't drive it much and it might have a minute current leak, and it works great. You can tell you have a properly juiced up battery every time you go to start it. I also keep one on my boat and have never had an issue. The Battery Tender brand is quite a good one and you can get a decently priced one on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My dads used the battery tender brand for years on all his tractors and snowmobiles without an issue.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah thanks for reminding me OP, I have been meaning to get one. My ST sits all winter also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts