Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is my battery just weak? It's 2015.

After all the pollen finished and heavy rains of the past couple of weeks, I finally got a chance to detail the exterior of my car this past weekend. Once I got to the point where the water hose wasn't required, I dropped the windows, opened the hatch and threw in a CD (Johnny Winter - Saints and Sinners - 1974). I went on about the tasks at hand and the music stopped. Stuck my head in the window and no sign of life from the interior. Hit the Entertainment button on the center stack and the CD started back where it had cut off. I went on about the tasks at hand, changed out CD's along the way (Tommy Bolin - Teaser - 1975) when and the music stops again. Similarly, I stuck my head in the window and no sign of life from the interior. On the 3rd CD (Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder -1988) it happened again, but this time the screen was dark grey and a progressive status bar displayed and the message was something like "Shutting Down to Save Battery".

Each time the system shut down was approximately 30 minutes of music time.

Has anyone else have this kind of occurrence? What did you do? Is there something buried in the menu to disable this feature, if it is a feature?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Same thing on my '14 model. I put a battery charger on if jamming while doing these tasks. The batteries these days are not as durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the manual has a warning that intelligent key equipped cars will shut themselves off to save the battery.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Two things; the music should last 10 minutes before shutting off. That's the way it works, no way around it. The second thing is this; you may have had a battery incident. If you have killed your battery recently or had to swap your battery out, it will do this until you reset your battery manager. You can do this with a OBD2 connection and the Focccus program, or take it to the dealership. It may reset automatically after a period of time but I got annoyed and used Focccus.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had the same issue, I listen to the radio on my lunch break for an hour. Every 30 min it will shut it's self off. I would get the battery saver mode quicker each time, listening for 45 min, then down to about 25. Took it to the dealer and they ran a "test" and said it was fine. Bought a new battery and it doesn't do that anymore.

I also bought a AGM H6 size battery, you just have to pop out some plastic spacers in the battery box. You also have to bend/modify the battery hold down bracket to make it fit.

These batteries suck, people are lucky to get 2 years out of it. Lots of people have had to replace the battery.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I will say this, I'm glad this forum isn't filled with people replacing their batteries with lawn mower batteries... got a friend on a toyota 86/FRS/BRZ forum and thats all anybody ever does!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I will say this, I'm glad this forum isn't filled with people replacing their batteries with lawn mower batteries... got a friend on a toyota 86/FRS/BRZ forum and thats all anybody ever does!
'cause racecar. :rolleyes::lol:

Subaru owner: Hey guys I just installed a 4lb race car battery. It's so awesome. I can't play the radio for more than 20 min, and it is dead in the winter. But it's so awesome because I saved so much weight.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
when helping with a build for a friend a couple of years ago, I was shocked to find that so many people were doing it... I guess when your car is that under powered, you got to do what you can.

I will say that I'm glad with the route he took... Instead of cutting as much weight as possible, we added a bunch of speakers, amps, and a nice and heavy sub box, then he compensated for the extra weight by adding a Vortech kit.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
These batteries suck, people are lucky to get 2 years out of it. Lots of people have had to replace the battery.
I had to replace mine at four years. Not sure what's up with that but I usually get at least 5 years, six with my Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts