Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was checking the electrical grounds in my car in reference to this thread I noticed my battery cover was loose. When I opened it up I saw the following.

IMG_20170301_195111767.jpg
IMG_20170301_195146042.jpg

Doesn't look so good to me. Granted my car is a 2013 so the battery is sitting on 4 years. I was debating whether I should just clean it with some baking soda and water or just spring for a new battery.

The car was just at the dealership last week and they gave it a "clean" bill of health during their inspection.

·
Registered
738 Posts
dang.....4 years.......from what Ive read, must be a record. I replaced mine after 2 years......you are long overdue my friend. Read a number of posts in here of guys batteries dying after 2 years. Guess it somewhat depends on the climate. Older batteries corrode more but maintenance on batteries on the terminals is always necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yeah just looks like your battery finally died...4 years is a good life. You live in Texas though so you don't have to worry about winter lol. If you're cheap a cleaning would probably be a "get by" but it'll do it again and continue doing it. I'd just replace it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New battery it is. For some reason I remember the other cars in the family never had battery issue till the 5 year mark which is why I thought it premature. I am a little ticked the dealership never spoke up though, I would have just shelled out the money last week to replace it.

Is there any reason to stick with OEM Motorcraft or is Autozone (Duralast) / Costco (Interstate) just as good.

LMStone I saw your work on the Odyssey battery. Looks neat but I just need this to work a few more years.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
New battery it is. For some reason I remember the other cars in the family never had battery issue till the 5 year mark which is why I thought it premature. I am a little ticked the dealership never spoke up though, I would have just shelled out the money last week to replace it.

Is there any reason to stick with OEM Motorcraft or is Autozone (Duralast) / Costco (Interstate) just as good.

LMStone I saw your work on the Odyssey battery. Looks neat but I just need this to work a few more years.
Stock batteries IMHO are fine for stock workloads of course! Yours lasted almost five years, right? :)

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Mine lasted 4 years as well, but it did leak everywhere. No damage done as far i can see.

Get some baking soda and water to clean up the strap and terminals and anywhere else you see corrosion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Replaced mine as well before this winter, so only 4 years as well.

Remember to reset the battery monitor when you change the battery!

DIY Battery Monitor System Reset - 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 Ford Escape Forum
I didn't realize I had to reset the monitor. I also seem to lack a USB to ODBII connector. Is this something I can coax a dealer to do for me or can I leave it be?

My battery hold down was pretty badly corroded so I'll probably slap on a new one from the parts department.

On a semi-related note. My car had been doing having the idle fluctuation and stalling issue regularly before I replaced the battery. Since then, it has been pretty steady actually (knock on wood). I guess simple solutions sometimes work best for electrical problems.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I didn't realize I had to reset the monitor. I also seem to lack a USB to ODBII connector. Is this something I can coax a dealer to do for me or can I leave it be?

My battery hold down was pretty badly corroded so I'll probably slap on a new one from the parts department.

On a semi-related note. My car had been doing having the idle fluctuation and stalling issue regularly before I replaced the battery. Since then, it has been pretty steady actually (knock on wood). I guess simple solutions sometimes work best for electrical problems.
A dealer should DEFINITELY be able to do that for you, no questions asked. It's a very common process on new Fords.

Regarding the idle, when you have the battery unhooked it resets the keep alive memory (KAM) which makes the ECU relearn a lot of parameters. Not surprised it fixed the idle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts