Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a warning to ya'll .... today's batteries as delivered in a new car have a life of around 4 years IME. You may get more and if so, good for you. BUT here's my story ... which is just a VENT. I knew I was approaching 4 years of ownership and have had new car batteries die at the 4 year point time and time again ....

We evacuated FL to AL for the hurricane. The drive up was 4 hours longer than usual due to traffic. I expected the drive back to be similar. Ready to come home we packed the car (thank you son for letting us crash in the house you moved into last week) We packed the car made our good byes and loaded up. Push the start button and .......

NOTHING ... well the 'system' says "saving energy" ..... I'd just started the car 10 minutes ago to move it .....

BATTERY is not dead, but too weak for the computer to allow the car to start ..... ARGHHHHHHHH

Short version .... I jumped it and we're off. I figure 4 hours of driving to the first rest stop will charge the battery ....

Stop to get gas and the car will not start ... see, that's how cars react to a bad battery now, they don't recharge either. Fortunately we'd gassed 1000 yards from an auto part store. So I bought a battery, put it in and we've been good car wise since.

We got home to minimal damage from the storm ....... if your battery is more than 3 years old ????????

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is why my ST has a multimeter in it about 80% of the time...

...Well, that and I'm wierd. :sorry:

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Batteries like anything else need to be maintained. There's a reason those two caps are on them. Every six months pop them off and top off with distilled water. Battery plates/cells will last longer if acid level is proper. All batteries will die eventually.

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Batteries like anything else need to be maintained. There's a reason those two caps are on them. Every six months pop them off and top off with distilled water. Battery plates/cells will last longer if acid level is proper. All batteries will die eventually.
Yep, they are wear items. Proper maintenance and inspections go a long way. They are not something to be ignored.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Ive been through 4 batteries. lol
Don't make me comment on your wrenching ethics and skill level.

I love you, but I won't protect you forever. :kiss:

Lmao

·
Registered
386 Posts
Although my 13` battery still is in working order I will have it changed come service time in November.
I know all to well how an old battery reaks havoc on modern cars, on my late V50 T5 the car started shutting down "non essential" systems like ABS, AC and such. The car ECU did not communicate this with fault control and set a code for faulty ABS system, to my frustration, the volvo dealer led me believe the ABS sensors needed replacing, did that but same problem, new battery and problem solved. After a lengthy battle with volvo dealer they reimbursed me the cost of sensors and labour.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the battery is 'dead' no amount of driving is going to charge it. Four years is a little on the short side in my experience but within the range of when they will start failing. That said I have a 2006 Lexus IS (build date Feb. 2006) that still has the original TPMS units in the tires, that's way longer than the batteries are supposed to last. Some batteries die quickly, some will go on and on and on.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
that's how cars react to a bad battery now, they don't recharge either.
its not that the car wont charge a bad battery, its that a bad battery wont hold a charge anymore especially if it has a bad cell in it. standard batteries are not made to deep cycle, so fully discharging a battery will cause some damage to it. if discharged enough times can kill a good battery quickly. if you have a battery that is on its last leg, then once it gets too discharged, it will likely finish it off.

smaller batteries like what comes in the focus tend to have a much shorter lifespan than a larger battery. also a lot of heat cycles from the hot engine next to it can shorten the life span of the battery. with my two Lincoln LSs, the battery is much larger, also the battery being in the trunk of the car away from extreme heat cause it to last a lot longer, both of them made it to right around the 7 year mark before needing to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Ive seen batteries last 12 years, Ive seen them last a few months.regular testing is nice so you reduce the risk of being surprised. A voltmeter is not a good way to know the condition. If you dont have access to a battery tester, there are places that can test your battery for free.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I found that touching up all your grounds seems to extend battery life. I'm at 3 years 73,000 with my OEM so far.
Duece has a good point. I cleaned up a few of my grounds real well and added two additional grounding cables to help extend battery and alternator life. Feel it smoothed my idle a bit too. A $12 mod that's well worth it. Check out post #55 here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/39126-your-car-might-have-ground-issues-6.html

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Check connections regularly. Check water level in non sealed units bi-annually, or in desert climates every other month.

The reason our battery's are hard pressed to make it past the 4 year mark is our group size doesn't offer a battery that exceeds our CCA requirement by a large margin.

I had no issue pushing over 10 years on a single battery in my Crown Vic, or Sunbeam Alpine, but I equipped both with a battery which exceeded their OEM cranking requirements by double.

We use a group 96R and the strongest you can get those in is 590cca, and guess what, the Focus calls out for a 580cca spec.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Check connections regularly. Check water level in non sealed units bi-annually, or in desert climates every other month.

The reason our battery's are hard pressed to make it past the 4 year mark is our group size doesn't offer a battery that exceeds our CCA requirement by a large margin.

I had no issue pushing over 10 years on a single battery in my Crown Vic, or Sunbeam Alpine, but I equipped both with a battery which exceeded their OEM cranking requirements by double.

We use a group 96R and the strongest you can get those in is 590cca, and guess what, the Focus calls out for a 580cca spec.
Lmstone510 had an interesting solution a while back: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/46089-odyssey-pc1200t-battery-installation.html

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mine made it to almost 3 yrs 2013. Thenn the alternator went at 64k. Ford charged the warranty 950 bucks. My deduct was100.

·
Registered
353 Posts
its not that the car wont charge a bad battery, its that a bad battery wont hold a charge anymore especially if it has a bad cell in it. standard batteries are not made to deep cycle, so fully discharging a battery will cause some damage to it. if discharged enough times can kill a good battery quickly. if you have a battery that is on its last leg, then once it gets too discharged, it will likely finish it off.

smaller batteries like what comes in the focus tend to have a much shorter lifespan than a larger battery. also a lot of heat cycles from the hot engine next to it can shorten the life span of the battery. with my two Lincoln LSs, the battery is much larger, also the battery being in the trunk of the car away from extreme heat cause it to last a lot longer, both of them made it to right around the 7 year mark before needing to be replaced.
This has been my experiences with lead-acid batteries. Once they've been deeply discharged, even once, it's lifespan has now been shortened and the clock starts ticking faster. Repeated deep discharges only make it worse. Not saying the OP went through this, though. Once a cell goes bad, it's done. I've seen and tried a few of those YouTube videos where people try pickling salt, or whatever it was. Never had any success myself.

Batteries don't last forever. The only batteries I've been able to "resuscitate" are the AGM types, Optimas, etc, and that's what I plan to replace the OEM with when that time comes.

These newer cars also constantly monitor the battery's voltage, and it's threshold is way higher than what an older car would require iow, a battery that the ST's computer rejects would probably still start an older one, for a while anyway.

·
Registered
629 Posts

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ing-larger-battery-than-stock-under-hood.html

you can fit 94r's in our cars.

we have a 160 amp alternator which is more than enough for the electrical load.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts