Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the focus st world, i plan on doing upgrades down the road, catless dp, mbrp exhaust or custom, not sure yet, intercooler, ive added a K&N airfilter and built a ram air intake out of sheet metal which turned out great, better mpg. I am looking at a tuner, cobb or sct. I plan on having one tune for economy because i have to drive 180 miles every other weekend and one for fun and thats it. I will have a custom tune made for that. I honestly dont see a difference in the two other then the price. Im not going to the drag strip or racing, just fun. Would there be much difference having a custom tune made for either one? I know everyone has theyre personal preference but does sct support catless down pipes? If im building a custom tune by professionals does it really matter? Ive attached picturesof my ram air intake if yall were curious of how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your air inet looks pretty cool, as for tuning I know people will chime in but I would say reach out to the tubers on here or someone you know in your area and tell them what you are looking for and they will be able to give you exactly what you need. And since you mention SCT you are going to get a lot of "Why are you going with SCT" and "I have a Cobb AP because..." stories. The SCT/Cobb debate will be strong with this thread, I can feel it

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Like that ram air! Like the paint job but the straight metal looked good too! I went with stratified because of their forum presence. That said I haven't had it done yet as I'm waiting to install my intercooler first.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are tons of computers for cars, my dad use to have an 87 turbo coupe t-bird with only fuel injector upgrade and a computer and added 150HP (extra 14LBS of boost), still had OEM air filter, no cold air intake or big intercooler or exhaust upgrade, it was pretty impressive but the car was originally built to have 400HP to compete with the vets back then in 87 and 88 but never made it so they came out of factory with 200HP but still had the massive 22gallon gas tank and everything else, it was dyno'd at 355HP. Anywho, I went off topic, it was fun but when I ask him he said any comp will usually do the same, there are a lot out there. he has not kept up to date with the new hardware but told me if im going to have a custom tune made it does not matter but I thought id reach out to the focus st nation. I dont care about brand. I did find tuner shops that work with cobb and SCT X4. SCT X4 will save me almost $200 but I will get the COBB if there is a significant gain or reason.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not sure about the SCT features but I know the cobb has launch control, tunable traction control, map switching and monitors pretty much everything. You can select 6 gauges to monitor to make sure your engine is behaving.

Sent from another garage.
He said he wanted to run two different tunes so I would suggest the Cobb for the easy map switching. Everyone loves Stratified so I would suggest them as well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Ryan martin at purple drank tuning is awesome as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered the COBB AP, the only reason cobb has poor support is because they dont want to help for free when you can go to an authorized tuner and make them some money, in a nut shell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts