Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Success! Also upgraded it all to Ver 3.4 and added a second USB port for the passenger. Big thanks to Brian Lovelace and www.naviupgrade.com for all his great guidance.
Anyone with an ST1 should do this!

The final touch - A replacement SYNC badge for the console - no more "Powered by Microsoft" rubbish here! (This version of the badge can be sourced from a 2103-2016 Fusion console).

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
189 Posts
Congrats! Adding touchscreen makes interior so much better.

Reactions: StanE

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Did you order the parts somewhere and if so where? Or was a lucky junkyard find? Looks great. I've considered this on my ST1 but I don't want to lose my hard buttons. I'm such a 90's gen-xer LOL.

Reactions: StanE

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you order the parts somewhere and if so where? Or was a lucky junkyard find? Looks great. I've considered this on my ST1 but I don't want to lose my hard buttons. I'm such a 90's gen-xer LOL.
Check out www.naviupgrade.com for lots of great information and guidance on this. In my case I got the key parts out of a 2018 Focus SEL and the rest from naviupgrade.com and/or his recommended links.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I ask what this set you back dollar wise?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Of course! Here are the major items and what I paid for them:

Custom Wiring Harness and As-Built Software Flash Files: $250.00 (www.naviupgrade.com)
USB Hub Adapter: $20.00 (www.naviupgrade.com)
Satellite Radio Antenna: $15.79 (Amazon)
GPS Antenna: $9.99 (Amazon)
Sync3 Compatible USB Hub $80.00 (Amazon)
USB Cable: $7.99 (Amazon)
Secondary USB Input Port and Cable Adapter (Optional): $17.00 (Amazon)
Excellent Used Pre-Facelift Focus ST Sony Controller/Touchscreen Bezel/Vent Panel: $120.00 (eBay)
Excellent Used Complete SYNC3 APIM with Nav, Screen, Sony ACM with Satellite Radio, HD Radio, plus the correct brackets to fit Focus: $599.99* (eBay) - from a 2018 Focus SEL
* Also included a Facelift Focus Sony Controller/Touchscreen Bezel/Vent Panel from the same car which I will resell - credit $25.00

Grand Total: $1,095 plus my labor - more than I expected actually, but I couldn't be happier with the result. :sneaky: - it feels like stepping into a new car again.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Grand Total: $1,095 plus my labor - more than I expected actually, but I couldn't be happier with the result. :sneaky: - it feels like stepping into a new car again.
In the grand scheme of things, this is right on par with aftermarket double-DIN units with car play/android auto/NAV, install kit etc.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the grand scheme of things, this is right on par with aftermarket double-DIN units with car play/android auto/NAV, install kit etc.
Given the choice I do prefer to keep my upgrades looking "plausibly stock" ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Some more details about where I got the hardware and what I paid is below, or somewhere on this thread...... ;) .

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Given the choice I do prefer to keep my upgrades looking "plausibly stock" ;)
I agree. I was just commenting, that you didn't spend a lot.

I have a Sync2 car, I upgraded to a Sync3 unit, and use a RF DSr1 to integrate my amps and such. It's awesome. I admit the DSR1 is not without its faults in terms of BT connectivity, and my JL Audio Stealth Sub can't get all that loud. But overall, I've got a vastly upgraded system from stock.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. I was just commenting, that you didn't spend a lot.

I have a Sync2 car, I upgraded to a Sync3 unit, and use a RF DSr1 to integrate my amps and such. It's awesome. I admit the DSR1 is not without its faults in terms of BT connectivity, and my JL Audio Stealth Sub can't get all that loud. But overall, I've got a vastly upgraded system from stock.
I seriously considered the JL Audio Stealthbox too. I hear it goes a lot lower than the OEM Sony sub, looks stock (ish) and obviously would work well with the rest of my JL audio gear, but I just decided to go for the totally stock look and do the best I could with the Sony sub by stuffing it and upgrading the woofer unit. Overall it is really clean, tight and loud and deep enough for me - I'm not trying to vibrate the car apart and/or win any sound-offs :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Of course! Here are the major items and what I paid for them:

Custom Wiring Harness and As-Built Software Flash Files: $250.00 (www.naviupgrade.com)
USB Hub Adapter: $20.00 (www.naviupgrade.com)
Satellite Radio Antenna: $15.79 (Amazon)
GPS Antenna: $9.99 (Amazon)
Sync3 Compatible USB Hub $80.00 (Amazon)
USB Cable: $7.99 (Amazon)
Secondary USB Input Port and Cable Adapter (Optional): $17.00 (Amazon)
Excellent Used Pre-Facelift Focus ST Sony Controller/Touchscreen Bezel/Vent Panel: $120.00 (eBay)
Excellent Used Complete SYNC3 APIM with Nav, Screen, Sony ACM with Satellite Radio, HD Radio, plus the correct brackets to fit Focus: $599.99* (eBay) - from a 2018 Focus SEL
* Also included a Facelift Focus Sony Controller/Touchscreen Bezel/Vent Panel from the same car which I will resell - credit $25.00

Do you have part numbers for the stuff ordered ? I have access to a part out sync 3. Does the custom harness you use come with a canbus flash for the vin change? I’d appreciate your help , as I’ve found a kit but it’s in the $2800 range and I know there’s gotta be a cheaper way

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d planned on doing this and running this so I can wiring up Amps

Yeah - as far as adding better sound/amplification downstream goes, this should get the job done too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Do you have part numbers for the stuff ordered ? I have access to a part out sync 3. Does the custom harness you use come with a canbus flash for the vin change? I’d appreciate your help , as I’ve found a kit but it’s in the $2800 range and I know there’s gotta be a cheaper way
Sorry, I don't have actual part numbers, other than knowing that my SYNC3 APIM, SCREEN and ACM all came from (the same) 2018 Focus SEL. Being a 2018, it was a later version of SYNC3 - it is best to avoid the very early SYNC3 APIMs that came in 2016 cars.
If you buy the adapter harness from Brian Lovelace (www.naviupgrade.com) - cost $250.00 - he will also supply as-built files for the APIM and ACM that will be good enough to get you going. There is also a wealth of information on that site about how to go about the upgrade and which SYNC3 APIMs to look for etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, I don't have actual part numbers, other than knowing that my SYNC3 APIM, SCREEN and ACM all came from (the same) 2018 Focus SEL. Being a 2018, it was a later version of SYNC3 - it is best to avoid the very early SYNC3 APIMs that came in 2016 cars.
If you buy the adapter harness from Brian Lovelace (www.naviupgrade.com) - cost $250.00 - he will also supply as-built files for the APIM and ACM that will be good enough to get you going. These is also a wealth of information on that site about how to go about the upgrade and which SYNC3 APIMs to look for etc.

Did his harness and files set you up with a 1
Zone climate control on the sync screen?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did his harness and files set you up with a 1
Zone climate control on the sync screen?
No - and not needed anyway in my case - the ST1 has manual climate control anyway, so there is nothing to "control" .....?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts