Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, need guidance from the gathered brain trust on upgrades to a '17 ST with a bit less then 10K miles on it, purchased new. No I don't drive it a lot but do enjoy the hell out of it bouncing around town.

Very minor mods to it so far include the Ford performance exhaust, Cobb short throw shift link, the acceltec throttle pedal spacer and RS airbox/filter. The first three were demonstrably good upgrades, exhaust has just the right sound and the two shift related pieces parts work great together. The airbox was a "why not" from HD days where making it easier to get more air in and exhaust out was always a good thing.

Next up are possible suspension type upgrades which bring in the questions. I am not going to slam the car but lowering it an inch or so front and rear looks really good and fits the car. Getting rid of body roll during cornering and braking, firming up the ride not to the point of pain but to keep more contact patch down is what I'm looking to do.

So coil overs or sway bars and springs? Pluses and minus to either? Brand preference? Any manufacturer or product to stay away from? Remember I'm in southwest NH and frost heaves don't mean a snowman puking on the side of the road and some of our potholes are big enough to fish in.

Thanks all, and if you see NH reg F1FAN on a magnetic gray '17 out and about give us a wave.

·
Super Moderator
7,560 Posts
I have Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro Kit springs; lowers the car an inch or just a bit more. The ride is great and the Bilsteins last forever.

·
Super Moderator
7,560 Posts
Thanks DD, how is it under braking/cornering?
Cornering is superior to the factory parts; car is much more planted. The lower center of gravity and Nitto tires probably contribute a bunch.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
462 Posts
I currently have H&R springs on my 2013 and love them, but with 125k the rear shocks are toast so I have a set of H&R coilovers waiting to he installed.

Love the springs, handles great, lower between 1-2 inches I think. 19 inch Wheels tuck nicely.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
462 Posts

Reactions: Theguynamedguy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I say go for coilovers right from the start. Do it right and you only have to do it once. My problem with springs are the lack of adjustability. Say you go with a lower offset wheel in the future or a wider tire or both as I did, you might end up rubbing slightly. If i had went with coilovers from the beginning, especially ones with camber and height adjustability, I wouldn't have had to buy springs and go through that whole ordeal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts