Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And/or what is the part number? The Dorman 522-812 i keep getting says for up to 18" wheels only when i look it up.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You have to buy the whole arm, unless you go to a specialty arm from a racing equipment company. Also the ST arms are different from the regular Focus arms (geometry and/or the stiffness of the bushings I believe).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any places that offer it other than dealership? I know the regular focus bushings wont work.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There are a few companies that make aftermarket and performance parts like ball joints and bushings

hardrace
Powerflex
Moog

Just to name a few

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tasca Parts online. - but the part numbering system is confusing as there are multiple part numbers and they do not mention 18 inch wheels at all. I would give them a call and have them cross check against your VIN

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
Tasca's shipping has been hit or miss lately; I've been using Autonation Ford White Bear Lake with very good prices and service.

Reactions: gemery

·
Super Moderator
8,424 Posts
Summit shows some ball joints that supposedly can be bolted in after shaving the rivets off. Has anyone done that?
Well thats the issue, is removing the rivets. Not that its super hard, but its a PITA and you can end up damaging your A arm.

Is the whole arm, and it has new real LCA bushings in it, so it'd be a nice refresh. Its not tricky to swap, but does require dealing with the LCA bolts (120ft/lbs-ish and lock tited) and the rear LCA bush is nutted from the top, you have to sneak a 23mm iirc wrench on top to hold the nut. Its a bit awkward, but not crazy. I have done it too many times removing my TB gusseted traction bar and reinstalling it.

Is cost your biggest obstacle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i was just trying not to spend 200 bucks on the whole control arm. Im not concerned withgrinding rivets off. That wont be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,424 Posts
Yeah, i was just trying not to spend 200 bucks on the whole control arm. Im not concerned withgrinding rivets off. That wont be an issue.
There yah go then! Buy em, grind em, and let us know how it went.

Going OEM or stepping up? Doing one or both?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My question stated at first is trying to verify are there ball joints for an ST sold separately without the whole lower control arm or not. I keep getting mixed answers. Summit shows some,but ibwas told that those are actually for regular focus. Just seeing if anyone knows THAT actual answer.

·
Super Moderator
8,424 Posts
My question stated at first is trying to verify are there ball joints for an ST sold separately without the whole lower control arm or not. I keep getting mixed answers. Summit shows some,but ibwas told that those are actually for regular focus. Just seeing if anyone knows THAT actual answer.

Rock auto has two different manufacturers listed. Claim to fit the Focus and Transits. It's a ball joint, it's probably the same for all focus of this gen, the search is for our turbo-ed ST trim. Just doesnt specifically state it. Can't do an OEM cross reference, because Motorcraft just replaces the whole arm, not the ball joint.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Had to replace one on mine, i tried a mevotech arm. When it showed up, the balljoint had a tapered/ threaded shaft. I had to return it and just go with ford. I am interested if any aftermarket balljoints work though, im not afraid to air hammer a couple rivets off to save 150 bucks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Like i said Hardrace has both OE and performance options

·
Super Moderator
8,424 Posts

As @mitch808 mentioned

Not sure bout the vendor, or other vendors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts