Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^ I thought so, but it's been so damn cold so long that I haven't hardly gotten the oil hot enough to fully warm up in months, so I might've freaked a bit :) I'd rather be paranoid and have a working engine than the other way around! :) Mark W.
Agreed!

I'd like to pull mine( had a ms3 with them pulled like the result)

But seeing as the dealer is doing my oil for free for the next 80k lol I'm not gonna confuse them with a car that needs an extra qt of oil lol

2013 TS3 FSWERKS tuned

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also, if you're considering doing this, check out my write up under CFM's section of the forum. It's pretty darn easy to do. Just plan on spending an hour cleaning RTV off the pan- GRR! Mark W.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Also, if you're considering doing this, check out my write up under CFM's section of the forum. It's pretty darn easy to do. Just plan on spending an hour cleaning RTV off the pan- GRR! Mark W.
Yeah the speed3 one was pretty easy too, just a pain to clean and reseal the pan lol, any kind of windage tray in the focus pan? ( ms3 BSD came with a windage tray)

2013 TS3 FSWERKS tuned

·
Registered
320 Posts
On the topic of lower oil pressure, I'm chalking it up to paranoia, and a bit to switching to synthetic- there's nothing wrong inside this engine- Mark W.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah mine hasn't changed just takes longer to warm up is all haha
But how it revs! I love it !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Curious if this lowers the oil temps at all? Maybe another benefit , with more fluid in the system it should not "heatsoak " as bad ...

2013 TS3 FSWERKS tuned
Not sure about oil temps dropping the oil lubricates that hot ass turbo. It heats up pretty quickly. But it should give it a little longer before getting too hot yes .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Curious if this lowers the oil temps at all? Maybe another benefit , with more fluid in the system it should not "heatsoak " as bad ...

2013 TS3 FSWERKS tuned
it will be exactly the same. If you want lower temp put a big oil cooler with a fan on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not so sure this is the greatest idea on a daily driver.

Now I won't call myself an engineer, but it doesn't take one to understand that removing the very component that is put in place to counter act an unbalanced rotating mass, such as one found in a 4 cyl engine which is FAR from balanced, will pose longevity issues on that very rotating mass in the form of increased wear. This is disregarding all NHV that also comes with the territory. For a race engine, I wouldn't think twice about doing such a thing, but this just seems slightly foolish on a car that would be used for commuter purposes.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

Now I won't call myself an engineer, but it doesn't take one to understand that removing the very component that is put in place to counter act an unbalanced rotating mass, such as one found in a 4 cyl engine which is FAR from balanced, will pose longevity issues on that very rotating mass in the form of increased wear. This is disregarding all NHV that also comes with the territory. For a race engine, I wouldn't think twice about doing such a thing, but this just seems slightly foolish on a car that would be used for commuter purposes.
Agreed to a point, but some people also enjoy fixing things once they break :D.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

I've always pulled them, from Hondas, my ms3 etx, never lost a motor, put 60k on my ms3 without issue, and 40-50k on my b18 with them pulled, buddy still runs his h22 with a BSD

·
Registered
288 Posts
Only B18 I've ever heard of that lasted 50k.. disposable engines ;)
I've done a lot of reading about this and it seems the vast majority of trouble comes from Mitsubishis. Primarily DSMs. This modification is catastrophic not for that engine but it's tranny. That platform also has a rock solid engine and transmissions known to fail. (To my knowledge, I've never owned one)

Now that I've installed all 3 mounts and a GTX on this vehicle, I can say by feel it runs smooth at idle, terribly at idle with AC on. And rough under all load conditions under 2k rpm but pretty smooth the rest of the way to redline. The knock sensors appear to pick up increasing engine noise up until maybe 4500 or so and then it kind of flat lines. It's may be the result of the BS doing it's job. I'd like to hear someone with a stiffer tranny mount describe the changes from a BS delete. I'd also like to see stock datalogs of knock sensor outputs of cars with and without this modification.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts

Not an engineer either, but I was under the impression that this isn't what the BSD does. It does not counter-balance the engine, its sole purpose is to mitigate NVH in the ST? If that's the case, provided that you can live with increased NVH, there isn't any mechanical risk to doing a BSD no?

I'm actually pretty interested in this, but kinda waiting for a baffle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is a big line between NVH and harmonics. A harmonic resonates at a certain frequency and can be incredibly destructive, especially to splines and other fine drive train components.

As far as a baffle, I think it's the MX5 pan than can be used and it already has a baffle.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not an engineer either, but I was under the impression that this isn't what the BSD does. It does not counter-balance the engine, its sole purpose is to mitigate NVH in the ST? If that's the case, provided that you can live with increased NVH, there isn't any mechanical risk to doing a BSD no?

I'm actually pretty interested in this, but kinda waiting for a baffle.
Here is a really good explanation of how balancing shafts work to counter act secondary forces on an I4 setup. As i mentioned, NVH has the potential to cause a number of drivetrain issues like clutch drag, and the crankshaft harmonics are anything but good for bearings. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
not necessary to have balance shafts on a 4 banger. 5 cyl yes. ford 2.0l no

81 - 100 of 100 Posts