Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get your opinion on removing the balance shafts as I'm sure the Subaru 2.5 platform has them. Do the Evo's at 2 liters have them?

I always heard it was 4 cyl motors with more than 2.3 liters than got them normally, but low and behold our Focus ST has them.

I have a balance shaft delete kit sitting here and I know I am going to wake up the top end (Which this car desperately needs) and save a good chunk of weight with minimal added vibrations.
I am planning on autocrossing the car occasionally and am concerned with the lack of baffled oil pan. This car probably won't ever see a road course where I think the problem really manifests itself.

Primarily this will be for weight savings, but picking up 5-10 hp on the top end is also very welcomed.
Have you guys removed the balance shafts on many of the cars you guys have seen through your shop? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm just wondering about cornering without a baffled pan... Would rather not starve the motor of precious oil ;)

Used to do this back in the day on some DSMs... there will be added vibrations but it definitely seemed worth it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
114 Posts
A couple thoughts,

1.) I do not believe the Subaru 2.5L has any balance shafts - I am not aware of any kits for a balance shaft delete.

2.) The DSM 4G63T EVO 2.0L engine has a belt driven balance shaft design. The shafts sit internal to the engine block and the belt drive system is separate from the cam drive belt.
Failures of the balance shaft belt at higher RPM can take out the cam drive belt and cause catastrophic engine failure. Many people modding an EVO engine, delete the balance shaft drive for reliability not because of huge WHP gains just from this mod. The weight savings are also minimal.

3.) The MS3 and Ford ST 2.0 Ecoboost have the gear driven balance shafts off the crank in the middle of the engine. This is actually an elegant design which removes much of the reliability issues with the 4G63T EVO engine design.
The downside is the increased weight to have the shafts in a completely separate housing under the engine.

I agree it is relatively simple to remove. I'm not sure the WHP gains are worth that much. It should change throttle response much like a lightened flywheel. On a car used primarily for racing, why not get rid of the weight, on a DD or occasional track car, I'm not sure this is worth the effort. I would also want to add an oil pan baffle with the delete, controlling oil in the pan under G loading from all directions is a good thing. The JBR baffle looks like a good start.

It is going to take time for a few to try a delete on the Ford ST engine and give feedback. The MS3 engine is the closest in design and this experience probably the most relevant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have massive speed systems balance shaft delete on my st did it the first week of owning it with the 1k break in oil change :)
Look on focal jet for into from the 03+ 2.3 liter engines they have it and been deleting it forever the engines not much different I've owned lots of foci and had my engine apart already. Did wonders Karl at massive is awesome at customer service

PS
It also revs like a beast like my old 2.0 did.

Get 7 quarts of oil thou (mine took 6 1/2) and the best threadlocker you can get. The permanant stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have massive speed systems balance shaft delete on my st did it the first week of owning it with the 1k break in oil change :)
Look on focal jet for into from the 03+ 2.3 liter engines they have it and been deleting it forever the engines not much different I've owned lots of foci and had my engine apart already. Did wonders Karl at massive is awesome at customer service

PS
It also revs like a beast like my old 2.0 did.

Get 7 quarts of oil thou (mine took 6 1/2) and the best threadlocker you can get. The permanant stuff

Are you using any sort of baffle in the oil pan? Has the car seen any track use?

I am already sold on the benefits for me to remove the balance shafts, I am however not sold on what may happen under high G cornering and the oil pickup.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
How did you obtain the part(s)? Their website doesn't show a listing for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just call em up ask for Karl tell him Sean sent ya .
Or order online for a 2003 focus 2.3
And no track use just street but no adverse affects the thing isn't like its a baffle itself it holds hardly any oil and is its wo rotading counter whieghts looking like an upside down table and whieghs almost 30lbs
Also the stock oil pickup gets reconnected if you don't I'd rethink working on cars (I kid I kid!!) Maybe.... 0.o

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep in mind there's nothing super special about this car its still a focus everything is still fundamentally the same
I've had 2 05s a 12 and now my st.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm sure it fits. mostly because the design is basically the same as the 2.3 but these guys gotta fix their website if they want to sell parts.

"This Part Will NOT Fit Your 2013 FORD FOCUS ST 4Cyl 2.0L Turbo. Click here to see parts that will."

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Well, my JBR BSD is ordered. Hope I don't run into lack of baffle issues..

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Where can we get a baffle kit?
Nowhere that I know of. I may make my own.

Edit: Sorry Kaizen I always wind up posting in your threads. Maybe you guys can make a baffle kit :)

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Wanted to get your opinion on removing the balance shafts as I'm sure the Subaru 2.5 platform has them. Do the Evo's at 2 liters have them?

I always heard it was 4 cyl motors with more than 2.3 liters than got them normally, but low and behold our Focus ST has them.

I have a balance shaft delete kit sitting here and I know I am going to wake up the top end (Which this car desperately needs) and save a good chunk of weight with minimal added vibrations.
I am planning on autocrossing the car occasionally and am concerned with the lack of baffled oil pan. This car probably won't ever see a road course where I think the problem really manifests itself.

Primarily this will be for weight savings, but picking up 5-10 hp on the top end is also very welcomed.
Have you guys removed the balance shafts on many of the cars you guys have seen through your shop? What are your experiences?
Yes my 4G63T had them. I took them out when I balanced my new rotating assembly. if you balance the rotating assembly you will not get any added vibration whats so ever. It will allow the engine to rev more quickly overall. I did everything myself.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts