Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just looking at some more bolt on options for my ST3. What’s the consensus on doing the balance shift delete? Are there really any HP gains? My focus is a weekend warrior and probably won’t see the track. Curious if the noise and vibration is worth it. I thought the oil pan kit with the delete from Mountune for $270 doesn’t seem like a bad deal
For what you get.

And the second question is the Agency lightweight crankshaft and water pump pulleys for $200. Again some says the gains are minimal

Anybody have the parts installed ? I don’t know. Would 25hp be worth $470? Or 10hp??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
My impression is that the BSD helps with the engine revving faster, not with outright HP.
Don't know about the pulleys, but I would imagine the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My impression is that the BSD helps with the engine revving faster, not with outright HP.
Don't know about the pulleys, but I would imagine the same.
But aren’t they one in the same? It would spin faster because of the hp? Just seems like the same thing? Can’t put into words what my brain is seeing lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
But aren’t they one in the same? It would spin faster because of the hp? Just seems like the same thing? Can’t put into words what my brain is seeing lol
That's a good question. That made me think of the impact of a lightweight flywheel - it too will make the engine rev faster, but it won't increase HP. Basically a lightweight flywheel or a BSD will reduce inertia, but engine torque will remain the same (hence HP will remain the same as well).
A more colorful example - imagine yourself rotating a big and heavy disk using a crank. You exert a maximum amount of power on the crank, and the disk spins. Now imagine that using the same crank you spin a lightweight disk. You would spin it up to speed faster, but the power you apply to the crank will be the same, and hence the "HP" hasn't changed, just how fast the disk took to reach its speed.

With that being said, although you won't gain HP, you should reduce acceleration time (provided that the tires have enough grip). I would hazard a guess that the change won't be very noticeable, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No wonder since installing a 6 Puck clutch with a lightweight flywheel, the car is like a go kart in the rain up to 3rd gear. Like a controlled go-kart :D. The wheels are spinning easily due to quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So just looking at some more bolt on options for my ST3. What’s the consensus on doing the balance shift delete? Are there really any HP gains? My focus is a weekend warrior and probably won’t see the track. Curious if the noise and vibration is worth it. I thought the oil pan kit with the delete from Mountune for $270 doesn’t seem like a bad deal
For what you get.
And the second question is the Agency lightweight crankshaft and water pump pulleys for $200. Again some says the gains are minimal
Anybody have the parts installed ? I don’t know. Would 25hp be worth $470? Or 10hp??

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Don’t get the lightweight pulleys, there have been ppl that have a lot of issues w them. Motor won’t rev past 4K **** like that
Have never heard of an issue with them Boomba use to make them. Knew a few people that ran them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,420 Posts
Have never heard of an issue with them Boomba use to make them. Knew a few people that ran them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Most people couldnt get the Motor timed properly with the CAS. Which is an ecoboost issue, not a pulley issue. Which led to running issues. Which is a major reason behind Boomba no longer making them. Too difficult to install and bad press from incompetent installations.

I run a bsd and 8lbs lwfw. My current 2.3 build will be bsd, lwfw, and lw pulleys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts