Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I am hoping to get some clarity on an issue I just came across and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue.

I have a 2014 ST3 with about 44K miles on it. Within the last couple of days I've noticed a substantial vibration coming from my car when I hit 35+ MPH. I feel it from the floor to even the pedals from what feels like the passenger side and it's driving me nuts as to what it could be. Not sure if this lead to the vibration or not but last weekend, I was just starting to drive out of my neighborhood very slowly, stopped at a stop sign and all the sudden when I went to pull onto a main road with out any pop or bang or anything I heard a very loud horrible metal on metal scrapping sound! I pulled over to see if anything was dragging or just didn't look right to the eye but it looked fine so I continued on with the noise still going. I went another 200 yards or so pulled over again into the neighborhood and the noise completely stopped! The car felt fine so I continued on and hasn't made that noise since....fast forward a couple days to the vibration I am getting. I am not sure if they might be related but I assume there is a very good chance. I also did my front and back brakes and rotors maybe a month ago but I know they were done properly and I did a proper break in procedure. The breaks felt fine after driving with them awhile and the vibration does not happen upon stopping so I think it's a separate issue and nothing to do with that break job.

I did just put my summer wheels/tires back on so my first thought was check to make sure they are balanced correctly. I took them to a local shop and 3 of 4 were off, so we zeroed them out and my hope was that did it. I took it for a test drive and now with the wheels properly balanced the vibration was even more noticeable!

A little background: I did lower the car on Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs about 20K miles ago and I know lowering cars can put added stress on the suspension components in some cases. But this was a modest lowering kit at .7 up front and 1 inch in back plus new dampeners. And honestly the car feels so much better on these springs overal and I know the tension was the same as OEM.

Please if has any thoughts as to what this might be I am all ears! I don't feel comfortable driving my car now so regardless I will probably take it to the dealer to try and be diagnosed this week...:sad:

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Look under the car on the passenger side. Do you see a lot of grease? If yes, it's your axle. Massive vibration was the tell tale each time my axle went out on my other car due to ride height.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I've been through this all with this car over the last 50k miles. I have the same springs also. Your tires are probably cupped. Especially if you happen to be driving on winters still. The stock shocks aren't really great. You may want to go to Billstein's.
The loud noise you heard is likely a rock between the brake shield and the rotor. As you start moving the rock kicks out.
We have a lot of gravel around here after winter and happens weekly.
New tires may fix your problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it's def not the axel no leaking of any kind.

I wouldn't think the tires are cupped don't look that way to me and these are summer wheels and tires that were off the whole winter. After work today I am going to put my winter wheels and tires back on and see if the problem still exists at least narrow it down. If it does I'll know I have a bigger issue on my hand.

I am hoping you're right about the rock because it was a horrible sound very loud. Although I've personally never had that happen to me in the past with any vehicle.

My roommate works for Ford and is going to take it to work with his Tuesday if it doesn't feel better with the other tires back on. So I'll keep you all updated as to what they diagnose it too.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Not the engine mounts even happens when coasting in neutral without trans engaged
If your engine is running then motor mounts are a possible thing to check...lol They have nothing to do with the transmission.

Why do you think people who upgrade motor mounts complain they have more vibrations when they are idling in neutral?

I support @UnfocusedST suggestion.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Take that sick puppy to the dealership and have them thoroughly inspect the front drive-train; Half shafts and bearings. Your Powertrain warranty is good for 5 years/60,000 miles and will cover this.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Take it in I'm willing to bet its a wheel bearing. Just put one in my ST at 75k

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts