Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i was changing my oil recently i noticed something strange. It seems like the exhaust was audible through the front of the car. It was especially loud when i took the oil cap off, and at one point it was even flinging oil. What do you guys think? Could it be a bad valve? I have 2015 ST3. Less than 3000 miles too

·
Registered
558 Posts
You should not really remove the cap with the engine running, since oil will be blown out. Remember the valvetrain is rotating at several hundred revolutions per minute. You are just hearing this happen. Oil is squirted up into the area between the valve cover and the head, then spinning on the two CAM Shafts and being thrown all around.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Um...wow...

What's next, aiming for a wall and stopping short, to see if your brakes are working right?

·
Registered
704 Posts
You are probably hearing the injectors—it's direct injection, which fires high pressure fuel, final pressurized by a pump mechanically-driven off a cam, directly into the cylinder against compression forces. This is a lot of the noise you hear from diesel engines. If you had a bad valve, it probably would have let you know already.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you had a bad exhaust valve you would likely have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Oil from inside the valve cover would go into the cylinder and that would cause smoke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts