Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ST3 has 18,900 miles on, and so far I've done three oil changes and tire rotations. For the past month, my brakes have been squeaking like crazy at low speeds. I asked my local dealer to take a look when I put it in for an oil change last week, and they said they were fine. They claimed they cleaned them, but the squeaking persists.

Also, since the tire rotation last week, I am getting a terrible noise from the front tires. I sent the car back to the dealer and they said there's nothing they can do - they've got flat spots and there's nothing I can do apart from buy new tires.

I'm not a technically minded chap, so pardon my ignorance... but is it normal for a car with this many miles to get flat spots on tires after performing all recommended maintenance? And does anyone have ideas or solutions to the squeaking brake scenario?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Flat spots plus brake issues... With both, I doubt the dealer will help. The obvious scenario is that you slammed the brakes at some point flat spotting the tires and potentially causing your brake noise.

For the brakes, I agree with @UnfocusedST, you should change the pads. My experience is that the stock pads do not last all that long anyway.

For the tires, if they are flat spotted you will pretty much have to get new tires to get rid of the vibration. If there is an obvious manufacturer defect, you may get some money your way. However, I would not expect anything on a warranty claim (due to scenario I mentioned above). Particularly if you have several tires damaged. During the time that I worked at a tire dealer, it was rare to see multiple tires warrantied on a single vehicle unless there was a recall on a specific batch of tires.

Reactions: chronos

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The tires first; It sounds like they are cupping. If so this is usually caused by a wheel alignment problem. I would get that checked first. It can also be caused by abnormally worn suspension parts, but judging by personal experience and the forums, I don't think we have any general premature wear issues with the ST's. Next; the brakes. It's pretty common for brakes to make noise and for a dealer to tell you there is nothing you can do. My wife's PT cruiser had 4-wheel disks and came from the factory squealing. The dealer said there was nothing they could do so I fixed it myself. You can pull the pads and put some non-squeal stuff on the back sides of them. This is a pretty common fix, and in fact the auto parts places, pep boys, autozone, and others have several different types. Any should work. Having said that. I swapped my pads for Hawk pads when my original brake pads wore out at 21k miles, and they are much better suited for my car. They aren't as sensitive when first applied and wear much longer. I am 65 years old, have had 18 cars and have never paid for a brake job. Oh, and I am at 70k miles and the hawk pads are still good.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
This just in.. OE tires on ST flat spot SUPER easy.. bit of a pain, live with it or get better tires. It takes a while for them to "round" out, especially an issue as weather gets colder.

The car has ABS, you are not flat spotting a tire under breaking no matter what! Simple, easy. Flat spotted tires ( tread removed ) went out with invention of ABS.

See below for what real flat spot in and not just **** tire construction.. talking to you Goodyear Assyme... tires.

Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part

As for the OE pads.. chuck them in the trask, order yourself set of Wagner Thermoquiet, practically no dust and as name implies, very quiet.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This just in.. OE tires on ST flat spot SUPER easy.. bit of a pain, live with it or get better tires. It takes a while for them to "round" out, especially an issue as weather gets colder.

The car has ABS, you are not flat spotting a tire under breaking no matter what! Simple, easy. Flat spotted tires ( tread removed ) went out with invention of ABS.

See below for what real flat spot in and not just **** tire construction.. talking to you Goodyear Assyme... tires.

View attachment 270185
OK, now THAT's a flat spot. I have driver hard my whole life and I have never seen that. I would venture to say that the only way to get that would be to be playing with the ebrake to get some rotation. But you play you pay. The only fixes for that are 1) replace the tire, or 2) have them rounded (if they still do this). Seriously though, I don't think the OP is one that would actually experiment with things that would cause this sort of wear.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Flat spotting is one thing, cupping is another. The latter is caused from a bad alignment. The former is either a storage issue or tire construction issues (Not likely.) Storage issue relates to long periods of not driving the car, often more often during very warm weather, driving, then parking for long periods right after driving. (e.g. days/weeks)

The paste type brake grease on the back side of the pads can be an easy fix, or swap pads altogether. But stock pads are usually pretty quiet.
Get alignment checked, and toe set to as close to 0.01 as possible, but no more than 0.06
As for the tires, sometimes a flatspot will work itself out. Other times it wont, and you just replace those two tires.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Flat spotting is one thing, cupping is another. The latter is caused from a bad alignment. The former is either a storage issue or tire construction issues (Not likely.) Storage issue relates to long periods of not driving the car, often more often during very warm weather, driving, then parking for long periods right after driving. (e.g. days/weeks)

The paste type brake grease on the back side of the pads can be an easy fix, or swap pads altogether. But stock pads are usually pretty quiet.
Get alignment checked, and toe set to as close to 0.01 as possible, but no more than 0.06
As for the tires, sometimes a flatspot will work itself out. Other times it wont, and you just replace those two tires.
Flat spots from non-use are more of a problem with older nylon belted tires, not current steel belted tires. And it's generally a short-term issue that will correct itself with each use after 20 minutes of driving. I don't think I have even heard of anyone having this issue in the last 20 years. The flat spot in that picture is related to the brake having been locked up. Before the advent of ABS I had a friend who did this to all four tires when he was driving fast and came upon stopped traffic and locked up all four wheels to stop. He said there were clouds of tire smoke, and he had the flat-spot associated thumpity-thump until he got his tires replaced. It can also be associated with hand brake steering, where you pull the hand brake to initiate a bat turn. Otherwise known as hooning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts