Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alrighty!

My 2015 Focus ST has almost 20,000 miles on it now. I think I may have a bad thermostat. Maybe.

Just went for maybe a 3.5 mile drive.

Here is the scoop.

It is 18F outside.
Started the car. Let it idle for about a minute.
Drove out of my subdivision, hopped onto a 35mph road. Started getting heat.
Drove about a mile to my bank's drive through. Sat there for probably 3 minutes.
Quick 1/2 burst to 50mph, slowed down to 40mph.
Drove about a mile back, got a coffee at another drive though, sat there for a few minutes.
Drive about 3/4 of a mile back to my driveway.

Temp gauge was at 1/4, and oil temp gauge was starting to lift off the peg. Seem normal?

I was at the car wash the other day, it was about 28F outside. My friend and I noticed, while the temp gauge was at 1/4, and the heat on full blast. The temp wouldn't go up any higher, unless we turned the fan speed down.

If I were to just start this car at below freezing temps, it would probably take forever to actually warm-up. The gauge probably won't get past 1/4, just idling.

If I hop on the freeway and drive 10 miles, the oil temp and coolant temp will reach full operating temperature.

I should start the car, and feel the hoses and see what the thermostat is doing.

Just want to see what you guys think. If there is a problem I'll just take it to the dealer. Which should be fun.. See my other posts..

- BlackST1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. May do that.

Anyone else live where it is cold? Will your car reach operating temp just idling?

I mean, my work has a 2014 Focus SE, and that car will. But it is not a ST.

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Hmm.. May do that.

Anyone else live where it is cold? Will your car reach operating temp just idling?

I mean, my work has a 2014 Focus SE, and that car will. But it is not a ST.
My car warms up just fine; it's been in the teens here for morning lows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine seems to take about 15 minutes of driving before temps get up anywhere near normal operating temp. I'm here is central lower Michigan...I went home for lunch today, it's a 7 mile drive that takes about 15 minutes (mostly 55 and 35 mph roads - about 2 miles in town and 5 miles of rural roads). I pull it into the garage and close the door and it sits for about a half hour. I get in to head back to work and the temp gauge is halfway between 0 and the first tick mark, but the oil temp is off of 0. I'm nearly all the way back to work before temps are up and the heater really starts kicking out some heat to the point I have to turn the fan down and dial it down.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Sounds like low coolant, air in the system or the thermostat is stuck open.

-4 F today and the water temp gauge hit operating temp within a few short miles, just like usual. Oil temp took longer, just like usual.

Once up to operating temp, the water temp gauge stays there until I shut the car off and leave it for a while -- regardless of the outside air temperature.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
My '16 with around 4700 miles on it does this, too. The temp needle sits still for a long time, but the car is putting out heat so I don't worry about it. I think you shouldn't worry about it, too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same for me as well. I need to drive it for half an hour at least to reach operating temp and I don't live in cold weather at all. I even had a code displayed (p0128) but the dealer checked it and said it was all good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems to me you didnt drive it long enough for the car to properly warm up. Especially stop and go. Idling doesnt really do much to warm up the car either unlees its for an extended period of time. This seems pretty normal to me. I live in ny and it was 5 degrees the other day. Car didnt really watm up till I was on the highway doing 75 for a few minutes. Before that ai was driving at about 40-45 for like 5 minutes hitting lights.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only since I've been reading up on it lately...the slats (AGS) in front of the radiator could be stuck open
Interesting you bring this up. I thought about that, and looked. They are about 25% open whenever I look lately. When I used to look they would be shut all the way. I had my friend start the car today, while I watched the slats. Knowing they have a self-test. They shut all the way, opened all the way and then returned to about 25? open.

I agree with you guys. Guess it's just how it is.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting you bring this up. I thought about that, and looked. They are about 25% open whenever I look lately. When I used to look they would be shut all the way. I had my friend start the car today, while I watched the slats. Knowing they have a self-test. They shut all the way, opened all the way and then returned to about 25? open.

I agree with you guys. Guess it's just how it is.
Mine are about the same in Teen temps. Car only gets to a 1/4 on the gauge by the time I get to work, mixed driving. The AGS never opens more than a slit even at full temp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts