Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Damn, I only get 19.5 city driving and around 23/24 freeway. Maybe because I have to use 91?
Octane has very little to do with gas mileage; it is to help reduce detonation from higher compression and timing. On some smaller displacement turbo charged engines there have been some mileage gains on some tests under certain conditions from higher octane. I'm pretty sure (not positive) when Ford did their mileage testing it was done with 87 octane.

Reactions: turboguy327

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dumbass was reading up about E 85 in a focus ST and filled my car up and now my check engine light is on what should I do!!! New ST owner

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
My dumbass was reading up about E 85 in a focus ST and filled my car up and now my check engine light is on what should I do!!! New ST owner
Don' t drive; drain the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
It should run at low speed, but the fuel system won't be able to supply enough fuel to run at much rpm. There should be a funnel in one of the little cubby's by the spare you can use to open the capless fuel door to vent the tank. Going to need to drain most of that out and top it off.

Anyone else with a better idea?

Edit: now that I think a minute, the fuel line is on top of the tank where the pump mounts, so not going to be able to drain it from below (I'm old and remember gravity flow fuel systems). May have to get a skinny hose that will fit through the funnel and siphon it.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
What should plugs be gapped to on stock?
.026-.028, if you get them too wide there is a chance you can blow out the spark at higher rpm and boost levels, which will cause misfire and poor mpg.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tire pressure?

It seems low.

The computer tends to be off, so calculating by hand, using the mathz, is best.
not r
I have this issue as well. I see others report getting up to 30 on the highways, but Iv'e never gotten more than 23-24. At first I thought it was ECU just estimating and was way off, but I started checking it when I fill up, and I never break 24. I get 22 while city driving, and I'm a pretty reserved driver most of the time. My car only has 5K miles on it, but my previous '13 ST was the same way. I use 91 fuel as it's the best I can find around here.
Octain has verry little affect on mpg but also could be normal because your car is new. Also type of oil can affect gas I think reading somewere this we should always use primium full syntetic oil

·
Registered
138 Posts
What should plugs be gapped to on stock?
Mine are 0.31and I have zero problem but there ngk you can read them at my signeture also rockauto has them I got them at rockauto

·
Registered
138 Posts
.026-.028, if you get them too wide there is a chance you can blow out the spark at higher rpm and boost levels, which will cause misfire and poor mpg.
Wait for real im running them at 0.31 is that bad?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Wait for real im running them at 0.31 is that bad?
I would not gap mine there; too wide. Very good chance of spark blow out and they will wear to a much wider gap over a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Damn, I only get 19.5 city driving and around 23/24 freeway. Maybe because I have to use 91?
no maybe your driving habit you have to wait rpm to drop drive at 2k rpm until engine heats up and after shift at 2800k rpm every gear. Also avoid boost all times you can use maybe abit of 2 booost. Also raining days affect mpg badly

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would not gap mine there; too wide. Very good chance of spark blow out and they will wear to a much wider gap over a few thousand miles.
****!! Now what should I do??

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is 0.28 good?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, stock or modified the turbo builds enough boost to blow out the spark.
I honestly did not know this ****, Im ****ed I dont have a garage, outside its 5 F cold!. You think these plugs I have are still able to be gaped? Are the ngk plugs able to be ungaped?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
I honestly did not know this ****, Im ****ed I dont have a garage, outside its 5 F cold!. You think these plugs I have are still able to be gaped? Are the ngk plugs able to be ungaped?
Any spark plug can be gapped. You should be checking your gap before installation. Get a set of feeler gauges to check them, if they are too wide you can gently tap the ground strap on a counter top/table top (or purchase a proper gapping tool) to tighten them up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any spark plug can be gapped. You should be checking your gap before installation. Get a set of feeler gauges to check them, if they are too wide you can gently tap the ground strap on a counter top/table top (or purchase a proper gapping tool) to tighten them up.
Does penzoil do this service?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Does penzoil do this service?
I don't know, call them and find out. Personally I would not let an oil change outfit touch my car, for any reason.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts