Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 st1 I drive 40 miles a day for work all freeway and cruse control on the whole time at 70 I’m only seeing 23-24 mpg? I was expecting more does that sound accurate? I’m all stock besides rmm and rs intake

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes its accurate but its abit low but also depends on many factor but I can help.What octain gas are you using? Also what rpm do you shift at? When you start the car do you wait for rpm to drop before you go? Also do you shift at 2k rpm before engine heats up? Are you using boost? I do 28mpg by knowing all this I can help 🙌🏽

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m using 93 and in the city just under 2k and freeway I’m 6th the whole time I don’t have traffic on my way, and yes I start my car and wait a couple min before I go, and I’m barely using boost off boost does build up it’s around 10 psi only

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its accurate but its abit low but also depends on many factor but I can help.What octain gas are you using? Also what rpm do you shift at? When you start the car do you wait for rpm to drop before you go? Also do you shift at 2k rpm before engine heats up? Are you using boost? I do 28mpg by knowing all this I can help 🙌🏽
I’m using 93 and in the city just under 2k and freeway I’m 6th the whole time I don’t have traffic on my way, and yes I start my car and wait a couple min before I go, and I’m barely using boost off boost does build up it’s around 10 psi only

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Are you calculating this MPG by hand or going off the screen? Also do you reset the trip counter, including the MPG display at each fill up?

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
By hand and computer they are very close and every fillup
Tire pressure?

It seems low.

The computer tends to be off, so calculating by hand, using the mathz, is best.

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
I belive I’m at 35 and yes I do by math as well
How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the Spark plugs?

Age on air filter?

There's something killing your MPG, should be 26-28 at that speed. Maybe more. It depends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the Spark plugs?

Age on air filter?

There's something killing your MPG, should be 26-28 at that speed. Maybe more. It depends.
55k and spark plugs are about 20k and filter is a k and n not too old

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
55k and spark plugs are about 20k and filter is a k and n not too old
Should check the spark plugs for gap (.026-.028) and wear, and make sure your air filter is clean.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
142 Posts
Should check the spark plugs for gap (.026-.028) and wear, and make sure your air filter is clean.
My spark plugs are at 0.31 😅 but Im bone stock

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok Perfect anyways I always wait until rpm drops than I start driving. But I shift at 2k rpm, when the H to C niddle smack in the middle than I shift all gears at 2800k rpm. shifting under 2k rpm when engine is warm can kill your gas. Again I avoid boost whats so ever, maybe sometimes I acidently hit like 2psi boost 😅. Also leave traction in default mode, its actualy eco mode. 😅 Dont use boost until oil preasure temps hit pass second niddle to save gas. Best to avoiding boost all times saves even more gas. Using boost when oil temps cold kills even more gas. I do 28 mpg just with this trick.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2013 st1 I drive 40 miles a day for work all freeway and cruse control on the whole time at 70 I’m only seeing 23-24 mpg? I was expecting more does that sound accurate? I’m all stock besides rmm and rs intake
I have this issue as well. I see others report getting up to 30 on the highways, but Iv'e never gotten more than 23-24. At first I thought it was ECU just estimating and was way off, but I started checking it when I fill up, and I never break 24. I get 22 while city driving, and I'm a pretty reserved driver most of the time. My car only has 5K miles on it, but my previous '13 ST was the same way. I use 91 fuel as it's the best I can find around here.

·
1,571 Posts
There are hundreds of changing factors in relation to MPG. If you aren't setting any codes or experiencing any other symptoms(like brakes getting hot, etc.) there's nothing wrong with the vehicle. You're within the normal range.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Damn, I only get 19.5 city driving and around 23/24 freeway. Maybe because I have to use 91?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got a '16 ST3 that I bought new and I only average around 24 mpg no matter how I drive. I've gotten worse mileage, and a little better on a trip once, maybe 28, but that's it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If I wanted to get good gas mileage I would have bought a Prius.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a '16 ST3 that I bought new and I only average around 24 mpg no matter how I drive. I've gotten worse mileage, and a little better on a trip once, maybe 28, but that's it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If I wanted to get good gas mileage I would have bought a Prius.
that's pretty much what I've gathered from reading. It's more of a curiosity than anything else for me because honestly, a tank of gas lasts me 2 months at least... I don't care.
I do find it odd, however, to hear some people get 30 on trips and I am at best, 20% less than that. Only thing I can figure is it's my driving habits.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts