Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I tried to do a launch with TC off. The road was slightly wet and I spun pretty hard, then started wheel hopping so bad that it felt like the engine was going to fall out. I have an upgraded COBB RMM, is this a sign that it is finally on its way out?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
So the other day I tried to do a launch with TC off. The road was slightly wet and I spun pretty hard, then started wheel hopping so bad that it felt like the engine was going to fall out. I have an upgraded COBB RMM, is this a sign that it is finally on its way out?
Personally I'd say no. FWD characteristically get wheel hop a lot regardless. Things like the RMM just help to eliminate some of it, it's not a definitive fix. If you get a loud bang when doing a hard 1-2 shift then yeah I'd say it's bad. Otherwise you're good.

Reactions: Bluestangii

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ditto. Shift bang, yes. Wheel hop, no. I couldn't get rid of wheel hop in the rain with motor mounts. That's why I switched to AS tires.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have all three cp-e mounts and my wheel hop is gone. There might be some but how I launch the car there is non.
Got any tooth fillings left?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It's really not that bad. Worse part is sitting idle with the A/C on. We don't have stop go traffic here so all is good.
Sent from another galaxy.
I tried the turbotech UMM and the Boomba RMM and combinations of the two and when you say "It's really not that bad..." I know what you mean. One can get used to it, but reality hits home when no one else thinks it's acceptable. And it just got too tiring for me. Especially since it did not totally get rid of my wheel hop. What fixed my wheel hop and shift bang was going to AS tires.

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
I tried the turbotech UMM and the Boomba RMM and combinations of the two and when you say "It's really not that bad..." I know what you mean. One can get used to it, but reality hits home when no one else thinks it's acceptable. And it just got too tiring for me. Especially since it did not totally get rid of my wheel hop. What fixed my wheel hop and shift bang was going to AS tires.
The thing about all season tires is you lose grip. Honestly the best thing is to work on your launches.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The thing about all season tires is you lose grip. Honestly the best thing is to work on your launches.

I might agree with that except that in the rain the F1's and MSS's would cut loose extremely quickly and start hopping before I could take my foot off the gas. And AS tires can be just as fun if one isn't tracking or autocrossing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry i was a bit absent the past few days. I guess it was just really bad wheel hop. I have never experienced wheel hop that bad, but at the same time I dont launch the car very often, especially not in the rain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts