Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My goal is to have a close to 100% oem install of the rear camera for less than an aftermarket module/camera setup.

After studying the wiring diagrams for our cars, the cars without the rear view camera have a single harness in the back for the latch/defroster/plate light, while the cars with the rear view have 2 harness. Both types connect to the same connector on one side in the back. The 'jumper' harness for the rear camera ties into a new connector on one side, then jumps the rear defroster and latch mechanism signal.

We also need to get the back up camera ECU (Image Processing Module-B aka IPM-B), which communicates via the MS canbus, and powers the camera.

So, I bought the 2 harnesses CV6Z17K400EC ( 14405 Tail Light Harness 5 Door Sedan ; Rear View Camera-Fixed ) , CV6Z18C618BC ( 14A069 Fuel Sender Gauge Wiring 5 Door Sedan ; Jumper/Harness To Rear Video Camera ), the camera BM5Z19G490B ( 19G490 ) and the bracket BM5Z19H421A ( 19H421 ). I also placed an order for the camera ecu control module BM5T-19H423-AD (19H405 Module Rear View Camera-Fixed). So far, I'm in for around $400 with everything new but a used IPM-B. I think I'm missing just a connector and some wire.

I figure that the reason people haven't been successful with turning on the backup camera in FoCCCus is because the APIM doesn't recognize the camera ecu control module (IPM-B).

Here is the overall schematic of the rear camera. Notice, the IPM-B has a dedicated power supply from the rear power block, powers the camera, and communicates on the MSCAN.
01 - Main Schematic.png

Here's where we need to splice into the MSCAN
05b - MS can splices.png
05c - MS can splices location.png

Here's the location of the IPM-B
02 - IPMB Location Connector.png

This is the connector pin out for the IPM-B
05a - IPMB Location Connector Detail.png

This is the original rear harness WITHOUT the camera for reference.
04 - C411 Original Connection Rear Harness.png

This is the main connector that we have in our cars for the rear defogger/hatch etc. The cars with or without the rear camera have this connector and it's always in use.
04 - C411 Location.png

This is the new setup with the sub 'jumper' harness. The new harness jumps over the defroster and latch mechanism via 2 connectors on top (connecting to the new 'main' harness 17N400 aka 14405). The jumper harness connects to C494, the 17N400 harness and then to the camera, latch, and defogger.
03b - C494 Connection Rear Harness.png

Interior location of C494, which we need to add.
03b - C494 Connection Front Harness.png

This is just preliminary research. Once I get the parts I can verify the connections and wiring. I'll eventually tear apart the rear and take pics of what we have from the factory and see what needs to be done.

SO, basically:
  1. Replace rear harness in hatch with the new 'split' harness.
  2. Mount camera and connect in hatch. (needs new painted finishing panel with ford badge....this is $$$$. Possible cutting hole to mount camera in existing?)
  3. Mount IPM-B via new connector C4402.
  4. Splice IPM-B into MSCAN via C4402.
  5. Power IPM-B with rear fuse block via C4402.
  6. Add connector C494, splice to IPM-B via C4402.
  7. Run wire to the APIM from C494.
  8. Flash via FoCCCus to enable rear camera.
We'll see if it works. I'm waiting for parts so this can take a WHILE, but let's get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
324 Posts
*Following* as well. Yes, I can turn my head around, but the car should have come with this feature. A little extra assurance never hurt--especially when you have to parallel park in a cramped city. It's also kind of hard seeing back there at night with my tints.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Can't wait for this to be solved. I wonder if dealer could activate with IDS tool once the new harness is place.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Subscribed! I hope you can get this to work. I would love to install an OEM back up camera. Please take good pictures and do an in-depth write up!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My goal is to have a close to 100% oem install of the rear camera for less than an aftermarket module/camera setup.
[*]Mount camera and connect in hatch. (needs new painted finishing panel with ford badge....this is $$$$. Possible cutting hole to mount camera in existing?)
[/LIST]
I suspect the holes are already there; it seems it would be more complex to spec a different hatch with different holes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
2012-ford-focus_gw_005-702.jpg

It looks like it sits to the left of the license plate underneath the cover for the license plate lights.

In which case, you'll only have to trim a plastic piece. That doesn't look too bad. The wiring harness changes look more difficult. And I wonder if the firmware in the head unit has to be changed to even know a camera exists?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the only picture I could quickly find that shows the OEM layout from outside. It's from another forum, and shows a sedan layout, but the hatch layout is the same.
fUtAYfSl.jpg

This is the exploded diagram from the ford parts website. It's the finishing panel <43400 , but the diagram doesn't show the hole for the camera.
RenderIllustration.jpg

It looks like to remove the interior panels on the hatch, you pop off the two handles cover plates, remove 4 bolts, there's a push pin by the center rear brake light, then the rest are just clips you pull out. To get to the wiring, it looks like you need to take off the Cpillar upper (1 bolt and alot of clips), and the Dpillar (the plastic area where the rear tray cover sits. There looks to be around 5 bolts and a bunch of clips.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Round 2:
Here's the communications block diagram:
01 - Block Diagram.png

Here's the communications chart:
02 - Network Message Chart.png

This is the description of the system:
For each one of these system features except the camera delay feature, the driver generated backup camera commands are sent from the FDIM (Front Display Interface Module) to the APIM (SYNC Module) (vehicles equipped with 8-inch (203-mm) touchscreen) or the FCDIM (vehicles equipped with 4.2-inch (107-mm) display) to the Image Processing Module - B (IPM-B). The Image Processing Module B (IPM-B) then sends the command to the video camera. For vehicles equipped with 8-inch (203-mm) touchscreen, the video camera outputs the video signal to the APIM which in turn displays the video on the FDIM . For vehicles equipped with 4.2-inch (107-mm) display, the video camera outputs the video signal directly to the FCDIM .

The video camera delay feature is controlled within the APIM .

The Image Processing Module B (IPM-B) and the video camera communicate on a LIN which is a dedicated single wire communication network.

The messages sent from the Image Processing Module B (IPM-B) to the video camera are:
  • transmission selector (PRNDL) status
  • liftgate ajar status
  • camera configuration data
  • display manual zoom request
  • parking aid audible warning status
  • parking aid sensor distance to object data
The messages sent from the video camera to the Image Processing Module - B (IPM-B) are:
  • camera status
  • display zoom status
  • camera part number data
  • visual park aid alert status
  • fixed guideline status

Video Camera
The rear video camera system is active with the ignition in RUN and the transmission selector in REVERSE. The video camera receives commands and sends status over a dedicated LIN to the Image Processing Module - B (IPM-B). The video signal is hardwired from the camera to the APIM which is directly connected to the FDIM . The video camera is configured by the Image Processing Module - B (IPM-B) and does not require Programmable Module Installation (PMI).

Video Display
The video display is the FDIM touchscreen or the FCDIM . Refer to the appropriate section in Group 415 for the procedure.

Image Processing Module B (IPM-B)
The Image Processing Module B (IPM-B) serves as the gateway module between the video camera and modules on the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN). The Image Processing Module B (IPM-B) is configurable and requires Programmable Module Installation (PMI).
uhhh....
"requires Programmable Module Installation (PMI)"
...crap. I hope this isn't a problem. This may need to be programmed by the dealer, BUT! since I'm getting a used one, hopefully it's already configured?

Well, anyway, my gut was right. The IPM-B does communicate with the APIM, granted it's only sending its status. The IPM-B also receives the steering angle status, so it looks like it reports that to the APIM to add the static and active guidelines. I still don't know where the active guide lines are overlayed: is it from the IPM-B to the camera, or is it internal in the APIM? Meh, still need the IPM-B no matter what, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking for an OEM install, which should have the active guidelines when you turn the steering wheel. To do that, you need the OEM camera control module and the OEM camera. The aftermarket combined latch button and camera only have RCA out of the camera, and has no way of communicating/being controlled by the IPM-B.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm looking for an OEM install, which should have the active guidelines when you turn the steering wheel. To do that, you need the OEM camera control module and the OEM camera. The aftermarket combined latch button and camera only have RCA out of the camera, and has no way of communicating/being controlled by the IPM-B.
I did not know that, I was hoping I could keep the aftermarket unit and eventually use the 7" touchscreen but I guess not. I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress, I'm not a fan of the current mirror setup but it'll have to do for now.

Thanks for your hard work!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My question is if this could be wired into another monitor if you have a ST1?
With an ST1, it SHOULD work the 4.2 inch display you have already. There's Focuses out there without sync that have the rear view. The wiring in the back is the same, it's just the two video wires go to the FDIM (Front Display Interface Module) instead of the APIM (SYNC Module). I'm guessing FoCCCus should work for ST1s as well since it's configuring the BCM (Body Control Module).

st1.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@coriolis: Your thread for adding the aftermarket camera is AWESOME! How did you route the wires from the rear of the car to the front, just through the headliner and down the A pillar?

For the APIM connector C2383 (54 pins), pins 14 and 15 need to be populated. What is the correct pin to use that we can insert into the connector? I think it's molex, something like:
Pin.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have seen the Euro ST's use the small monitor as well and that is what I was hoping for. So I am definitely interested in this as well.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts