Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new to the forum. i ordered a stage 1 kit from Freektune and we are currently working on a e30 tune for my 13' ST1. I have the Cobb RMM, COBB high flow filter, Turbosmart BOV, and muffler delete. I received the first tune from Freektune and love it so far, i just noticed that sometimes under acceleration with full throttle, i get a lot of backfire during acceleration. it sounds great and i like it but i dont think it should be happening, in previous vehicles, i would sometimes get backfires but after i let off the throttle. Any ideas on what could be going on? thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wasnt too sure, they said it could be a spark plug issue, maybe have to regap them (whatever that is)... just wanted to get different input

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like the plugs or the AFR is off. Did Freektune say anything to you about either knock, AFR, or Ignition timing?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
wasnt too sure, they said it could be a spark plug issue, maybe have to regap them (whatever that is)... just wanted to get different input
If you don't know what regapping your spark plugs means...are you sure it is a good idea to be tuning your car? That's a VERY important maintenance procedure that needs done pretty often on our cars.

Spark plug gap is the gap between the little metal strap and the tip of the plug that actually makes the spark. If they aren't at a proper distance from each other (too close or too far) then your car can prematurely (or not at all) spark and just overall cause problems with timing and performance. Plus, it will hurt the longevity of both your spark plugs and the car itself. Don't tune your car or run ethanol if you aren't putting your plugs at the proper gap.
Read this post
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/92689-spark-plugs-yes-read.html

And you can see at the bottom of this picture what strap and gap I'm referring to.
th5L0YJ6C6.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts