Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some new LED back up lamps because the stock bulbs are practically useless with tinted windows. Is the only access to the bulb through that little 3x3 door? I can barely get my fingers in there, much less my hand. Am I missing something here? Do I need to remove a bunch of trim pieces to gain access?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
You need to remove the entire tail light assembly from the car.
There are two plastic "nuts" that hold the tail light onto the body. A word of caution: DO NOT DROP THE NUTS!!!! If you do, then, in your words, you will "need to remove a bunch of trim pieces to gain access". Ask me how I know this.
Once the nuts are removed, the lights will still be held in with a couple of locating posts; you'll likely need to give the assembly a firm tug to get the posts to release.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You need to remove the entire tail light assembly from the car.
There are two plastic "nuts" that hold the tail light onto the body. A word of caution: DO NOT DROP THE NUTS!!!! If you do, then, in your words, you will "need to remove a bunch of trim pieces to gain access". Ask me how I know this.
Once the nuts are removed, the lights will still be held in with a couple of locating posts; you'll likely need to give the assembly a firm tug to get the posts to release.
Heed to this warning very carefully ^

That 3x3 door is only there to remove the wing nuts he's talking about. I suggest using pliers or it'll hurt your hand if they are tight lol, plus there isn't much clearance. Once they are loose enough to use your fingers then use your fingers so you keep a good grip on them so you don't drop them. Once both are out then you can pull the tail out off it's two little knobs holding it in place. Might I recommend to get the one where the "tail" of the taillight is (the piece that goes towards the front of the car) you can take a strap or string and put it behind the end and pull. Helps instead of trying to get your finger nails under it. Easy peasy with a firm tug it's out.

I removed both tails and replaced the lights with super bright LEDs from amazon (10 bucks) in less than 3 minutes and that's probably too long of an estimate.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I recommend taking a quick look at a short Youtube video or two, its super simple and only take a min or two to get each light out but it helps to watch in what direction they need to pull the light to get it to pop out after removing the two wing nuts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
dont drop the wing nuts, there are body cavities that turn into black holes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts