Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, since the back seats haven't been getting any action :lol: since I purchased the ST, I figured I'd just go ahead and remove them. No point in having them in there taking up space and being dead weight. They come in 4 sections total, two butt-cushions and two back rests. I plan on making a video in the next couple of weeks on how to remove them. Please note that these were ST3 rear seats so the ST1/ST2 seats may weigh differently. Here's some pictures in the mean time:

I'm guessing everyone wants to know how much weight I removed? I weighed everything with my bathroom scale, so the total weight may be off by +/- 3lbs.

18 - small backrest
37 - large backrest
14 - large butt cushion
9- small butt cushion
78lbs total

I also removed the spare tire a couple weeks ago and plan on trying to figure out the best place to mount the amp. I'm probably going to add some netting to the rear hatch area in case I decide to haul something small. Need to figure which netting would be safest and also figure out how to safely secure it as I don't want anything flying to the front of the car in the event of a head-on collision.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cool. I've been tossing around the idea just need a place to store the seats.

I bet you can hear the already noisy fuel pump ever more now!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I've been tossing around the idea just need a place to store the seats.

I bet you can hear the already noisy fuel pump ever more now!
Hummm? Never even noticed any fuel pump noises. The FSWERKS exhaust is pretty loud and very droney, so I hardly hear any noises like that.

Edit: forgot to mention that my car is in pieces at the moment, so I haven't actually driven it to see if there is any increase in noise. Probably won't be back together until January.

·
1,976 Posts
Race car!!!!! lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ocysp, is that a factory amp laying in the back? Where does it normally go? Have you thought about making a light weight filler panel to go where the seat was with matching carpet to clean it up? I would be curious to see what that looks like. I never would have guessed the rear seat weighed that much!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Waiting till spring to pop the roof off ?
Hey I kid, but seriously I like updates in the quest to save weight.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I didn't find the rear seats to be all that heavy when we did the seat swap...the front's on the other hand were a lot heavier than I thought they would be. The st2 recaros felt heavier than the st1 fronts. Be prepared for a good amount of drone as the seats and the foam floor trim acts as insulation.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ocysp, is that a factory amp laying in the back? Where does it normally go?
If you lift up the panel that's ontop of your spare tire you'll see some styrofoam surrounding it. The amp has its own little spot molded into that styrofoam on the driver's side.
Have you thought about making a light weight filler panel to go where the seat was with matching carpet to clean it up? I would be curious to see what that looks like.
Good idea, but I won't be doing anything to "dress up" the inside of this car. I only use this car as a project/weekend car and also hopefully plan on tracking it next year at the road course that's being built at the corvette museum
I never would have guessed the rear seat weighed that much!
I was expecting to save about 40-50lbs total because I have removed the butt-cushions before to see how much they weighed. The backrests are really what kills it.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't find the rear seats to be all that heavy when we did the seat swap...the front's on the other hand were a lot heavier than I thought they would be. The st2 recaros felt heavier than the st1 fronts.
I'm not sure if the ST3s are much different than the ST2s as far as weight. I should've probably mentioned that I have an ST3. I'll update the OP.
Be prepared for a good amount of drone as the seats and the foam floor trim acts as insulation.
Bring it on, I have a stereo and lots of music for a reason :RockOn: :)

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Yes! This is where I installed my JL AMP, within the styrofoam, it does get a lil warm, BUT if you open your back windows on the highway the cold air takes quick care of the heat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's where I've seen that before. I guess I should get more flat tires and I would have known that!

What other weight savings do you have in mind?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm not sure if the ST3s are much different than the ST2s as far as weight. I should've probably mentioned that I have an ST3. I'll update the OP.

Bring it on, I have a stereo and lots of music for a reason :RockOn: :)
I can't imagine that the rears would be all that different, the shell of the rears should all be the same.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's where I've seen that before. I guess I should get more flat tires and I would have known that!

What other weight savings do you have in mind?
Not sure. I really need to remove some weight from the front or atleast relocate it to the rear. I've been thinking about relocating the battery to the rear but I haven't made up my mind yet. I've also been thinking about replacing the front seats with something light weight and selling my ST3 seats.

I can remember someone else doing a bunch of weight reduction mods to his car and even compiled everything and put it in a spreadsheet. Can't remember who it was... I think it may have been on the other ST forum.

Edit: Ahhh! it was Omniphil: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/4707-omniphil-chronicles-shedding-weight.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure. I really need to remove some weight from the front or atleast relocate it to the rear. I've been thinking about relocating the battery to the rear but I haven't made up my mind yet. I've also been thinking about replacing the front seats with something light weight and selling my ST3 seats.

I can remember someone else doing a bunch of weight reduction mods to his car and even compiled everything and put it in a spreadsheet. Can't remember who it was... I think it may have been on the other ST forum.
Are you thinking of Omniphil? I know he is all about weight reduction.

You do realize just by the shear mention of selling ST3 seats that you are going to have members humping your leg even while you sleep!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you thinking of Omniphil? I know he is all about weight reduction.
Yeah! I forgot his name. I can remember following his thread awhile ago, but I have a horrible memory.

You do realize just by the shear mention of selling ST3 seats that you are going to have members humping your leg even while you sleep!
That's fine :D. I'll consider some offers, but it would have to be worth while. Would really depend on how much I could sell the stock seats for, and how much the aftermarket seats were, and how much weight savings would be gained. Anyone know how much the two front seats weigh on an ST3?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm gonna do the engine and trans delete myself. I heard you can shave a few hundo off
Trying to go for the FlintSTones life bro? :D

Oh yeah, forgot that I'll be doing the balance shaft delete and also installing a lightweight flywheel which should save a bit.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people! I mean really. :lol::lol::lol: Next it will be remove headlights and hood. Then we will all be talking in morse code before you know it. We can also .... . . ... .. ...... . . ... . . .... . . . . .. . .. ...........!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts