Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has been in the dealer 3 times now for numerous engine lights and codes relating to MAP and causes the car to run like ass. 3 MAP sensors, two wiring harness splice repairs, and one oil pressure sensor, i pick up the car last night and low and behold its throwing codes again. They also said they csnt update the BCM because ford engineering doesnt have the software. Does that not mean I am driving a vehicle that does not meet fmvss standards? The sad part about this is the dealer ive been dealing with has been awesome (thats an understatement) and patient with me yet understanding my OCD. My 15 only has 6k miles and I really dont feel safe driving it anymore. I underatand that stuff happens but I feel as if ford engineering / techline as well is just problematic. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my car has been in the dealer 3 times now for numerous engine lights and codes relating to MAP and causes the car to run like ass. 3 MAP sensors, two wiring harness splice repairs, and one oil pressure sensor, i pick up the car last night and low and behold its throwing codes again. They also said they csnt update the BCM because ford engineering doesnt have the software. Does that not mean I am driving a vehicle that does not meet fmvss standards? The sad part about this is the dealer ive been dealing with has been awesome (thats an understatement) and patient with me yet understanding my OCD. My 15 only has 6k miles and I really dont feel safe driving it anymore. I underatand that stuff happens but I feel as if ford engineering / techline as well is just problematic. Any suggestions?

What happens while your driving? Does it shut off while driving or does it randomly throw codes?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens while your driving? Does it shut off while driving or does it randomly throw codes?

Randomly throws codes especially on cold starts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Randomly throws codes especially on cold starts

I was kind of having the same issue but with the car shutting off while driving. Mainly at cold starts and going over bumps in the road. Turned out to be the ground connected to the PCM which is located under the air box. When it was manufactured the ground wasn't secure and not contacting for a solid ground. They had to buff off some paint and relocate it to a stronger contact point. After that never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine never shuts off... just starts to run so rich it wont run

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine never shuts off... just starts to run so rich it wont run

Just got word that the dealer is replacing the engine wiring harness or attempting to get ford to try to that the tech is sick of doing splices in the harness. GREAT.

I am getting sick of this car really fast. I really am at the point where I never want to buy a ford again. I REALLY love my car.. I dont like the idea of some dealer tech UTI special ripping my car apart and putting it back together at 6k.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just got word that the dealer is replacing the engine wiring harness or attempting to get ford to try to that the tech is sick of doing splices in the harness. GREAT.

I am getting sick of this car really fast. I really am at the point where I never want to buy a ford again. I REALLY love my car.. I dont like the idea of some dealer tech UTI special ripping my car apart and putting it back together at 6k.
Buy Back? Perhaps get you into a new one?

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy Back? Perhaps get you into a new one?
Idk. I love this car so much and stuff.. idk we will see. I dont want to be a **** but me and the focus are having trust issues

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
With only 6k miles and this many issues? I mean if you don't feel safe driving it, then consider seeing if the dealer can get you into a new one. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With only 6k miles and this many issues? I mean if you don't feel safe driving it, then consider seeing if the dealer can get you into a new one. Just my $0.02.
Maybe. Idk. I have a 125k warranty on this one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out lemon law. The full wiring harness should help unless this next one is a also a lemon or turns bad. But keep Lemon Law in your pocket in case you have more woes which require extended time at the dealer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is a link to the Illinois Lemon Law: Illinois Attorney General - Lemon Law. In brief, they get four tries to repair a problem, or more than 30 days out of service, then the car is a lemon. You only have the first 12 months or 12,000 miles to file a lemon claim. Based of what you've written, if it doesn't come out fixed this time, it's a Lemon. My advice - if it's not right when you get it back, then file a claim. Looks like you don't even need an attorney in Illinois. Life is too short to waste time on frustrating, broken stuff. Get Ford to take it back, get your money back, and move on. If you like the ST, get a new '17. Most of use are having good experiences. My '14 ST3 is 26 months in-service, has 25K miles on it, and has never been into the dealer for a repair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you buy it in 2015, or was it a carryover that they had in 2016? They usually go buy purchase date, not build date.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
Wiring faults are a significant cause of mysterious, intermittent, seemingly unsolvable drivability issues. If this were my 2015 MM ST (see my sig; just like yours) I'd be delighted to have the entire wiring harness replaced, providing two benefits:

(1) I get a part whose quality probably won't be worse than the part taken off of the car.
(2) The act of removing the old harness and installing the new harness means that every connector will be separated and reconnected. If the harness has any body grounds secured by screws, they will have to be removed and refastened. As far as the skill of the tech doing the work, I'd be much more worried about the quality of splice work than about removal and replacement of the entire harness.

If this doesn't solve the problem, a large variable has been eliminated. Focus (pun!) can shift to a bad control module or a problem on one or more body harnesses to which the engine harness may connect.

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiring faults are a significant cause of mysterious, intermittent, seemingly unsolvable drivability issues. If this were my 2015 MM ST (see my sig; just like yours) I'd be delighted to have the entire wiring harness replaced, providing two benefits:

(1) I get a part whose quality probably won't be worse than the part taken off of the car.
(2) The act of removing the old harness and installing the new harness means that every connector will be separated and reconnected. If the harness has any body grounds secured by screws, they will have to be removed and refastened. As far as the skill of the tech doing the work, I'd be much more worried about the quality of splice work than about removal and replacement of the entire harness.

If this doesn't solve the problem, a large variable has been eliminated. Focus (pun!) can shift to a bad control module or a problem on one or more body harnesses to which the engine harness may connect.
I agree but it is just upsetting to have this much of my new car torn apart so badly in this short of time

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree but it is just upsetting to have this much of my new car torn apart so badly in this short of time

At least they gave me a nice loaner

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've said it a thousand times - if you have electrical issues that make you want to call an exorcist, 95% of the time it's ground issues.

I know that isn't going to do you a whole lot of good at this point but I really think an engine harness replacement will fix it - if only because it forces them to redo all the grounds.

Hope they can fix it. Grounding issues aren't vehicle specific or even manufacturer specific. Grounding issues affect literally any piece of electronics. I've had people with LCD TVs that always displayed a ****ty image being cause by a house grounding rod not pushed far enough into the ground. I had an HF radio whose transmissions would show up on the radar scope on the plane I fix caused by grounding issues. Don't blame Ford (necessarily); it could happen to literally any car.

Add to that the sad reality that most "technicians" (I use the term lightly) don't ever think to check for ground issues, or don't even know that that's a thing. They just keep replacing components until the customer gives up or lemon laws it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've said it a thousand times - if you have electrical issues that make you want to call an exorcist, 95% of the time it's ground issues.

I know that isn't going to do you a whole lot of good at this point but I really think an engine harness replacement will fix it - if only because it forces them to redo all the grounds.

Hope they can fix it. Grounding issues aren't vehicle specific or even manufacturer specific. Grounding issues affect literally any piece of electronics. I've had people with LCD TVs that always displayed a ****ty image being cause by a house grounding rod not pushed far enough into the ground. I had an HF radio whose transmissions would show up on the radar scope on the plane I fix caused by grounding issues. Don't blame Ford (necessarily); it could happen to literally any car.

Add to that the sad reality that most "technicians" (I use the term lightly) don't ever think to check for ground issues, or don't even know that that's a thing. They just keep replacing components until the customer gives up or lemon laws it.
Im assuming your an A and P or instrument tech on narrow/widebody craft from the sounds

1 - 20 of 211 Posts