Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering what were the options for the ST as far as axleback system's goes. I've only been able to see a handful and they look like a pain to do. Are they easy to install? I'm not looking for a ton of performance gains just something to make the car a little louder.. I could do a muffler swap or a resonator delete I guess to..
Or would it be better to just save up and get a full catback system?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing. Only option I see is the MRT system. Honestly though, for the price, a MBRP catback might be the better way to go. The aluminized steel version can be had on the cheap, provided you don't get a lot of snow and salty winter roads where you are. Even the 409 and 304 stainless systems are pretty affordable. That is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about doing the same thing. Only option I see is the MRT system. Honestly though, for the price, a MBRP catback might be the better way to go. The aluminized steel version can be had on the cheap, provided you don't get a lot of snow and salty winter roads where you are. Even the 409 and 304 stainless systems are pretty affordable. That is my 2 cents.
Yeah UT's roads are awful in the winter from snow and road salt...

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's worth it to get a cat back.

The resonator on these things are giant, the engine is trying to exhale through a straw.

I did the Roush 3 inch cat back which eliminates the resonator and has a tiny muffler. Sounds great and you can feel the difference, the engine can breathe so much better.

Check out CJ Pony Parts, they have reasonable pricing and you can find coupons online.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Also if you decide to go with a Cat-back message the vendors on here, they will do what they can to give you a good deal. I went through CFM Performance for my Borla and was very happy with the price they got me.
Food for thought

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Chopped out the muffler... installed a 90 bend and a few short pieces and then topped the cake with these custom glossy black Flowmaster tips.

I am in it for $15 because I did all the labor and helped my buddy do his and he bought the tips and powder coated them black as a thanks!

IMG_20160625_205731615.jpg

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't do a sound symposer delete and I have no drone.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Get catback and do symposer delete. If you don't do delete drone will kill ya.
I didn't do a sound symposer delete and I have no drone.
no sure how the symposer that is for the intake has anything to do with the exhaust? but please do explain why drone would be a issue? i deleted my muffler and have 0 drone @ 65MPH in 6th

·
Registered
489 Posts
no sure how the symposer that is for the intake has anything to do with the exhaust? but please do explain why drone would be a issue? i deleted my muffler and have 0 drone @ 65MPH in 6th
I'm guessing he's just refering to the conflicting noise between the symposer and the exhaust. But I don't see any reason why it would effect drone, since the symposer won't be activating when you're just cruising at a constant speed. Plus, like you said, they're on complete opposite sides of the system.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'm guessing he's just refering to the conflicting noise between the symposer and the exhaust. But I don't see any reason why it would effect drone, since the symposer won't be activating when you're just cruising at a constant speed. Plus, like you said, they're on complete opposite sides of the system.
Precisely!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also if you decide to go with a Cat-back message the vendors on here, they will do what they can to give you a good deal. I went through CFM Performance for my Borla and was very happy with the price they got me.
Food for thought
or @VividRacing Like I did.

:cool:

·
Registered
420 Posts
My exhaust is too loud to hear the symposer anyway. Lol, I guess I did an indirect delete?

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
My two cents is to listen to some different exhaust set ups in person. There are enough different designs to make each system unique in sound. If you want Borla, I have Borla, I have all the MBRP stuff, Agency Power is back in production but still a few months out, I can get Magnaflow & Greddy. Sure there are a few others I am missing too.

PM me if there's anything I can help you out with! Thanks for the shoutout @rascal!

Todd

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My concern is the sound that is produced lol a lot of the exhaust setups I've heard don't sound that good. I think the best I've heard is magnaflow. I love the deep low grumble exhaust setups the most and am also looking for something that cracks and pops a little!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My concern is the sound that is produced lol a lot of the exhaust setups I've heard don't sound that good. I think the best I've heard is magnaflow. I love the deep low grumble exhaust setups the most and am also looking for something that cracks and pops a little!
low rumble with pops and crackles, in my opinion, you're looking at flowmaster american thunder, borla touring, FRPP Cat back, or the magnaflow, personally I dont think the pops and crackles are that present with the magnaflow system if you are stock and are not running a DP.
But exhaust is subjective.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
low rumble with pops and crackles, in my opinion, you're looking at flowmaster american thunder, borla touring, FRPP Cat back, or the magnaflow, personally I dont think the pops and crackles are that present with the magnaflow system if you are stock and are not running a DP.
But exhaust is subjective.
I do plan on doing a DP later down the road eventually so that's a win win in my book :) I just wish I could keep the exhaust tips the same! I know a lot of people hate them but I actually really like them.

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
I do plan on doing a DP later down the road eventually so that's a win win in my book :) I just wish I could keep the exhaust tips the same! I know a lot of people hate them but I actually really like them.
Youtube is great for identifying tones and the rice crispy affect but does nothing for decibel levels. That's where hearing it in person helps. Let me know if you need some pricing, just send me a PM once you decide.

Todd

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
theres a company that makes an aftermarket cat back that keeps the same stock look, Ill see if I can find the thread

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Youtube is great for identifying tones and the rice crispy affect but does nothing for decibel levels. That's where hearing it in person helps. Let me know if you need some pricing, just send me a PM once you decide.

Todd
Thanks Todd!
I will definitely PM you once I figure out where I stand :)

theres a company that makes an aftermarket cat back that keeps the same stock look, Ill see if I can find the thread
Oh awesome I couldn't find anything and that's why I was just thinking of doing a res delete or something like that so it still keeps the look of the tip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts