Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AWE Track and Resonated Touring Exhaust (Review/ Discussion)

Hey everyone,

(I have a stock 2016 ST with an Air Intake and BOV. No Tune. Stock Down Pipe)

I wanted to write a review while discussing my AWE experience, their track exhaust, and their resonated touring exhaust. Essentially, I have the track edition and then purchased the Track-to-touring conversion kit. This basically allows you to swap out the back part of the exhaust for either the track (muffler delete) or the touring (muffler). In this review, I will try to be as unbiased as possible and compare these two exhausts for potential buyers. Without further ado, let’s begin.

AWE TRACK EDITION

After watching many videos and reading many reviews of various exhaust, I decided to go ahead and purchase the AWE Track Exhaust for the Focus ST. However, when I received the exhaust and installed it, I quickly realized there is not an honest review of this setup. I spoke with many people and 50 percent said there was no drone and the other 50 said there was drone. Of the 50 percent that said there was no drone, they also do not “believe” in drone. Meaning, they have had Borla Attacks or straight pipe 5.0 Mustangs. This stated, the Focus ST Track exhaust seems quieter on the inside of the cabin. However, please note that drone is a thing and it does exist with this exhaust. While cruising above 65 MPH on the highway and while increasing speed in the city will give off a drone like heavy bass on the inside of the cabin that will rattle your interior. However, the sound is absolutely incredible. You will experience gargles and pops that will quickly negate the drone in the cabin. During the first week, I was a little surprised by the amount of drone in the cabin, but quickly became addicted to the performance it gave and the sound it omitted. I have several friends who do not appreciate hot hatches. After putting on the Track Exhaust, they wanted me to start driving them everywhere for lunch. Yeah, it sounds that good.

SUMMARY – The Track exhaust is the way to go if you love loud deep tones and are not bothered by constant deep drone in the cabin. This in no way sounds like a screaming 4 banger so if you are worried about being turned into a rice maker, please cast your worries away. Your local GTI and WRX owners will start to get jealous and the local country truck drivers and V8 owners will start inviting you to Mexico for a quick sprint…..

AWE - Customer Relations

Before I begin the Touring edition review, I got the conversion kit because I commute 40 minutes a day at 75-80 MPH. LOVE the sound but I thought the consistent headaches was a little silly. I worked with AWE and they were GREAT to work with. A guy over there set me up with the conversion kit and to say I am pleased is an understatement. If you are worried about going with AWE, hear (or read) me when I say they are a great company to work with. They will make sure you are taken care of. They specialize in high-quality exhaust for European cars and the dedication to match. They will absolutely give you a product worthy of putting on a McClaren, but for your Focus ST. This being stated, I believe their exhaust is worthy of your purchase over other brands.

AWE RESONATED TOURING

The only difference between the AWE Touring with Resonator and the Track Edition is the muffler. The track edition is basically a straight pipe with a resonator. The Touring with Resonator is both the muffler and resonator. The closest comparison to this type of setup would be the Ford Performance Exhaust made by Borla. If you are thinking about going with the AWE Touring without the resonator, please be advised that the resonator cancels out all of the 4-banginess. If you want a hot-hatch deep tone, you will require the resonator. Sure, the touring with resonator delete is louder but you will have more raspyness.

The AWE Touring with Resonator was louder than I was anticipating. I was actually surprised by the volume and deep tone. As they do indeed market, this setup with their 180 technology does indeed give you that hot-hatch deep tone with zero drone. If you still want to impress your friends and maintain those deep gargles on down-shifting while having 0 drone even at 90 MPH, then this is the way to go. It is quieter than the track (DUH) but you will still have those beautiful pops are crackles. Basically, imagine the sound of the Track exhaust but just tamed. Quiet around town but when you step on it, you will be noticed. One thing to note is that this exhaust will give you the opportunity to still admire turbo spool-up and intake noises where the track could potentially drown that out.

SUMMARY AND PREFERENCE

So, which exhaust should you go with? Personally, I am so happy I got the conversion kit. I do a lot of car shows and this is also my commuter. So, when I go to a car show, I quickly swap on my track exhaust portion (about 15-30 minute installation). When I know I will be going on long trips, I put on the touring conversion kit for that 0 drone. Regardless, both setups are worthy of a car show. I just love going up against V8s so….I like to be as straight through as possible. Both setups will give you a noticeable performance gain (not much, but noticeable).

If you cannot afford the conversion kit, then get the touring with resonator. Later on, when you can afford the conversion kit, the touring-to-track costs $155 from AWE. Get the best of both worlds.

If the conversion kit for some reason just doesn’t float your boat because you require just one setup (you weirdo), then it boils down to taste. Do you like untamed loudness and do not mind interior rattling drone? Track-it my dood. If you feel even slightly worried that the drone will bother you, touring with resonator it my dood. That simple.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I will be coming out with a video soon comparing these two exhausts and I will post it here on this thread. Thanks guys! Let me know if you would like to see/hear anything in particular with the video.

~ OTA

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
All truth about the Track Edition, and AWE Tuning. Love mine, and have no regrets. Local autox community love the sounds my car makes, especially the R and GTI folks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I will be coming out with a video soon comparing these two exhausts and I will post it here on this thread. Thanks guys! Let me know if you would like to see/hear anything in particular with the video.

~ OTA
I would love to see a video comparing the 2. I probly will do what you did, but I want to be sure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went over to a friends house with my track and catted dp and his neighbor came over and asked "what have you done to it? is it souped up?" im like, "no pretty much just an exhaust..." He said "damn that thing sounds good dude!" I said thanks and went to my friends door. Everyone who hears my car really loves it :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
AWE Track and Resonated Touring Exhaust (Review/ Discussion)

Hey everyone,

(I have a stock 2016 ST with an Air Intake and BOV. No Tune. Stock Down Pipe)

I wanted to write a review while discussing my AWE experience, their track exhaust, and their resonated touring exhaust. Essentially, I have the track edition and then purchased the Track-to-touring conversion kit. This basically allows you to swap out the back part of the exhaust for either the track (muffler delete) or the touring (muffler). In this review, I will try to be as unbiased as possible and compare these two exhausts for potential buyers. Without further ado, let’s begin.

AWE TRACK EDITION

After watching many videos and reading many reviews of various exhaust, I decided to go ahead and purchase the AWE Track Exhaust for the Focus ST. However, when I received the exhaust and installed it, I quickly realized there is not an honest review of this setup. I spoke with many people and 50 percent said there was no drone and the other 50 said there was drone. Of the 50 percent that said there was no drone, they also do not “believe” in drone. Meaning, they have had Borla Attacks or straight pipe 5.0 Mustangs. This stated, the Focus ST Track exhaust seems quieter on the inside of the cabin. However, please note that drone is a thing and it does exist with this exhaust. While cruising above 65 MPH on the highway and while increasing speed in the city will give off a drone like heavy bass on the inside of the cabin that will rattle your interior. However, the sound is absolutely incredible. You will experience gargles and pops that will quickly negate the drone in the cabin. During the first week, I was a little surprised by the amount of drone in the cabin, but quickly became addicted to the performance it gave and the sound it omitted. I have several friends who do not appreciate hot hatches. After putting on the Track Exhaust, they wanted me to start driving them everywhere for lunch. Yeah, it sounds that good.

SUMMARY – The Track exhaust is the way to go if you love loud deep tones and are not bothered by constant deep drone in the cabin. This in no way sounds like a screaming 4 banger so if you are worried about being turned into a rice maker, please cast your worries away. Your local GTI and WRX owners will start to get jealous and the local country truck drivers and V8 owners will start inviting you to Mexico for a quick sprint…..

AWE - Customer Relations

Before I begin the Touring edition review, I got the conversion kit because I commute 40 minutes a day at 75-80 MPH. LOVE the sound but I thought the consistent headaches was a little silly. I worked with AWE and they were GREAT to work with. A guy over there set me up with the conversion kit and to say I am pleased is an understatement. If you are worried about going with AWE, hear (or read) me when I say they are a great company to work with. They will make sure you are taken care of. They specialize in high-quality exhaust for European cars and the dedication to match. They will absolutely give you a product worthy of putting on a McClaren, but for your Focus ST. This being stated, I believe their exhaust is worthy of your purchase over other brands.

AWE RESONATED TOURING

The only difference between the AWE Touring with Resonator and the Track Edition is the muffler. The track edition is basically a straight pipe with a resonator. The Touring with Resonator is both the muffler and resonator. The closest comparison to this type of setup would be the Ford Performance Exhaust made by Borla. If you are thinking about going with the AWE Touring without the resonator, please be advised that the resonator cancels out all of the 4-banginess. If you want a hot-hatch deep tone, you will require the resonator. Sure, the touring with resonator delete is louder but you will have more raspyness.

The AWE Touring with Resonator was louder than I was anticipating. I was actually surprised by the volume and deep tone. As they do indeed market, this setup with their 180 technology does indeed give you that hot-hatch deep tone with zero drone. If you still want to impress your friends and maintain those deep gargles on down-shifting while having 0 drone even at 90 MPH, then this is the way to go. It is quieter than the track (DUH) but you will still have those beautiful pops are crackles. Basically, imagine the sound of the Track exhaust but just tamed. Quiet around town but when you step on it, you will be noticed. One thing to note is that this exhaust will give you the opportunity to still admire turbo spool-up and intake noises where the track could potentially drown that out.

SUMMARY AND PREFERENCE

So, which exhaust should you go with? Personally, I am so happy I got the conversion kit. I do a lot of car shows and this is also my commuter. So, when I go to a car show, I quickly swap on my track exhaust portion (about 15-30 minute installation). When I know I will be going on long trips, I put on the touring conversion kit for that 0 drone. Regardless, both setups are worthy of a car show. I just love going up against V8s so….I like to be as straight through as possible. Both setups will give you a noticeable performance gain (not much, but noticeable).

If you cannot afford the conversion kit, then get the touring with resonator. Later on, when you can afford the conversion kit, the touring-to-track costs $155 from AWE. Get the best of both worlds.

If the conversion kit for some reason just doesn’t float your boat because you require just one setup (you weirdo), then it boils down to taste. Do you like untamed loudness and do not mind interior rattling drone? Track-it my dood. If you feel even slightly worried that the drone will bother you, touring with resonator it my dood. That simple.

~ OTA
Great review on the exhaust man. I’m stuck between the track addition and the Borla catback. How would you compare these two?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts