Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy the AWE Track Edition For my 2014 and the problem I have is a mom at home who doesn’t like loud cars too much (I’m 17). Wondering if anyone out there who has an awe track could give me some info on how loud the exhaust really is. I really just need to keep it quiet for a block or two, maybe keep it under 2k until I get kinda far away. I’ll just have to cringe each time I cold start the car.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
@Oc_Heard The name alone should tell you, it's loud... Why don't you look at their other models? All aftermarket exhausts with a muffler and/or resonator are not too bad under normal startup and driving, and can get loud when at WOT... You don't need to be annoyingly loud at all times.

You can even get a more aggressive sound by removing the resonator alone, many folks do that, and it's an affordable mod from a muffler shop. For a bit more, you could even change tips too, if you're looking for a "look."

·
Registered
135 Posts
The AWE Track Edition cat-back is one of the loudest aftermarket systems that you can purchase. Even with the factory downpipe it is loud, especially on cold starts. All it has is a small resonator for drone behind the flange that connects to the downpipe. You'd be better off with the resonated Touring Edition cat-back if you're worried about volume, as it adds a muffler in the rear section along with the front resonator, but it is significantly more expensive. What is your budget, what kind of sound are you looking for and are you going to purchase a downpipe eventually?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
For the most part, exhaust mods are just for sound, they arent gonna add much, if any performance until you have done all the other mods. Living at home, i wouldnt be going for the loudest exhaust possible. I would try to delete the res as mentioned above and see if that can hold you over.

Spend money on an open intake filter and/or intercooler.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Im looking to buy the AWE Track Edition For my 2014 and the problem I have is a mom at home who doesn’t like loud cars too much (I’m 17). Wondering if anyone out there who has an awe track could give me some info on how loud the exhaust really is. I really just need to keep it quiet for a block or two, maybe keep it under 2k until I get kinda far away. I’ll just have to cringe each time I cold start the car.
I know what you WANT, but I still want to share some advice from someone who lived it all.
The exhaust won't do a lot for performance at all, so that needs to be accepted. But above all, you like the sound right? Well, it attracts attention... and when you are 17, it attracts attention from people you'd rather not be looking your direction. Often times they have red and blue lights on top of their vehicles. It may or may not be legal where you live, but it's still a hassle. In my day, it was jacked up rear bumpers and glass packs... cops are drawn to it like flies to honey.
Anyway, just my 2 cents on the matter. Loud exhaust caused me a LOT of grief in my younger days. You'll likely even have neighbors calling your mom. There are a lot of Karens out there man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AWE Track Edition cat-back is one of the loudest aftermarket systems that you can purchase. Even with the factory downpipe it is loud, especially on cold starts. All it has is a small resonator for drone behind the flange that connects to the downpipe. You'd be better off with the Touring Edition cat-back if you're worried about volume, as it adds a muffler in the rear section, but it is significantly more expensive. What is your budget, what kind of sound are you looking for and are you going to purchase a downpipe eventually?
I really fell in love with the sound that the awe systems have so I would really really like to get one of them but all of them seem so loud. How loud is the resonated touring version? I can’t really find many videos that doesn’t have the microphone stuffed inside the exhaust so it’s hard to tell sometimes. It’s definitely the most expensive tho. I’m thinking the best option would be to find something else as my budget is around $800. Maybe Borla? The Cobb system was another that I was interested in but it seems not worth the price.

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
I really fell in love with the sound that the awe systems have so I would really really like to get one of them but all of them seem so loud. How loud is the resonated touring version? I can’t really find many videos that doesn’t have the microphone stuffed inside the exhaust so it’s hard to tell sometimes. It’s definitely the most expensive tho. I’m thinking the best option would be to find something else as my budget is around $800. Maybe Borla? The Cobb system was another that I was interested in but it seems not worth the price.
Here you go; inexpensive, easy to install, nice sound that's not too loud;

Reactions: Oldandintheway

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a resonated AWE Touring and it is definitely louder than stock. It's not obnoxiously loud but I'd recommend that you do a res delete on the stock exhaust for now, save yourself $700, and spend that on an intercooler (Depo or ESP), rear motor mount, an AEM dry filter, hood struts, and a resonator delete. After that maybe consider a wing riser as a cosmetic mod. Much more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you want an exhaust that will be loud and will allow you to be able to hear the turbo whistle, but you aren't going to install a downpipe eventually, then the AWE Track Edition and non-resonated Touring Edition, Agency, Roush, Borla and Flowmaster cat-backs are going to be your most common options. The Cobb cat-back sounds good, but I think the MBRP cat-back sounds better and is less expensive. However, both of those cat-backs won't be as loud or produce as much turbo whistle without being paired with an aftermarket downpipe. Though they are deeper and aren't raspy whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
801 Posts
I have a resonated AWE Touring and it is definitely louder than stock. It's not obnoxiously loud but I'd recommend that you do a res delete on the stock exhaust for now, save yourself $700, and spend that on an intercooler (Depo or ESP), rear motor mount, an AEM dry filter, hood struts, and a resonator delete. After that maybe consider a wing riser as a cosmetic mod. Much more bang for the buck.
This is some brilliant financial counseling^^. if stock dp, no pressing need for 3" pipes. just snip the stock resonator. sounds great.

I have Stock DP, AWE track with an additional resonator welded in. A bit cheaper set up than touring, but has great tone. seems like previous owner found the track alone to be too loud.
cruises at 78db on the highway. Track would DEFINITNELY cruise louder than 80db without my resonator.

Gets very loud when you open it up. stealthily manageable in neighborhoods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is some brilliant financial counseling^^. if stock dp, no pressing need for 3" pipes. just snip the stock resonator. sounds great.

I have Stock DP, AWE track with an additional resonator welded in. A bit cheaper set up than touring, but has great tone. seems like previous owner found the track alone to be too loud.
cruises at 78db on the highway. Track would DEFINITNELY cruise louder than 80db without my resonator.

Hey what kind of resonator did he add do you know? Does yours drone between 2500-3000 rpm when giving it throttle? I have the same exhaust and thinking if adding a resonator will reduce drone.

Gets very loud when you open it up. stealthily manageable in neighborhoods.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
801 Posts
Hey what kind of resonator did he add do you know? Does yours drone between 2500-3000 rpm when giving it throttle? I have the same exhaust and thinking if adding a resonator will reduce drone.
I think this one
Not sure

If you want absolutely no resonance drone, then I'd get the touring attachment with no deadening material.

This resonator knocks down the db, but still can permit a tiny bit of drone. It mostly just quiets everything down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts