Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of the with the resonator? I’m trying to figure out how loud it will be paired with a catless dp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Had one, with a catted dp. Was still too loud for me, but that was mostly at WOT. Still didn’t have any drone though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the track edition, stock DP. The touring system is the same with the addition of a rear muffler.

The track edition is loud but not overbearing under normal driving, to me. I think the touring would be a great choice for an "aggressively mild" system.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
How loud was it just driving around?

I remember normal driving wasn't bad. Going WOT is where it got loud. Keep in mind I'm not a youngster, so my ears may find things loud that the younger guys don't.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have the track edition, stock DP. The touring system is the same with the addition of a rear muffler.

The track edition is loud but not overbearing under normal driving, to me. I think the touring would be a great choice for an "aggressively mild" system.
Great. I’m going AWE track edition as next mod.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Great. I’m going AWE track edition as next mod.

Awesome. I am super happy with it. It is agressive!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the resonated touring and can attest it is loud at WOT but not unbearably so. On stock downpipe.

Cruising no drone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed the Touring non-resonated on my car today with stock downpipe. it's very loud on the throttle, but quiets down with no drone cruising. I'm super happy with the purchase. curious to see what happens after 1000-1500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Colereihl,

Have you tried the AWE touring resonated Cat Back Exhaust (CBE) yet?

Everybody,

I currently have a catless down pipe and an older Agency Power CBE. It is loud during WOT, which I don't mind. The issue is I want to cruise 80 MPH. 80 MPH in 6ths puts the engine at about 3k RPM. With my current exhaust setup, this results in the cabin seeming to resonate with the already loud exhaust. I am not sure what people call a "drone" sound. But it is ridiculously loud around 3k. Makes me either want to either drive 70 MPH or 90 MPH, but nothing between. But 70 is slow. 90 is commonly difficult with the risk of militarized road pirates emptying my wallet and/or slower blocking traffic.

I'm hoping the AWE touring resonated CBE will solve my cruising noise problem. (Q1) Has anyone tried cruising at 80 MPH/3k RPM with this exhaust (touring, resonated/non, or track & which down pipe)?

(Q2) Does the AWE touring resonated CBE, at the cat end, end with a 3" or 2.5" pipe? I read one poster on this forum claim his was 2.5", which is surprising to me. Can someone, maybe from AWE, measure/confirm what the size actually is at the cat end?

My wife also complains about the exhaust smell... and honestly I am not a fan of the level of catless pollution, so I'm thinking I will get a high flow catted down pipe. I haven't decided on a make yet. The mountune sport down pipe looks appealing to me. (Q3) Does the mountune have better flow than the cobb/cp-e given it has a 5" cat vs theirs look like they have something like a 3.5" or 4"?

Its possible I could also go w/ the mountune exhaust... but its 2.5"... and I hear conflicting claims on whether 2.5" or 3" is sufficient for the ST's power. I think 300 HP at the flywheel is about the threshold where 3" starts to be needed, and the stage 3 Focus ST is near at that HP threshold. (Q4) Has anyone done a dyno test w/ the mountune 2.5" CBE vs a 3" CBE? Ideally w/ corresponding custom tune, rest of car the same. How much HP difference are we talking about? Maybe I should just go w/ the Mountune Sport Cat Down Pipe & their 2.5" high flow CBE combo.

Thanks,
Bearcoat
:big smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone have any more input on the touring resonated model? I ordered it... really hope its not too loud!
I am thinking of getting the same exhaust as well, how has your experience been with it?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
It’s loud at WOT, but at normal cruising it’s not bad. It was still too loud for me, and with my 3” dp I thought it made my car sound like a crotch rocket at WOT. Wasn’t for me. YMMV though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts