Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd hop on and share my experience with this cutback (and this company, AWE, altogether). I should note that I work for at AmericanMuscle and I deal with exhausts (really all mods) on a daily basis. I've had, or dealt with, my fair share of catbacks ranging from eargasm to migraine inducing.

I have a 2017 Focus ST (bone stock with the exception of a BOV and other small non-performance accessories). I decided to pickup a catback, and my first purchase was a Roush Performance catback - which is essentially a straight pipe (it does have a bullet style muffler, but it doesn't have much baffling). The exhaust was on the louder side and had a ton of drone. Great quality, just too much for my daily.

I decided to switch to the AWE Touring Resonated catback after much research into what would sound good but have little-to-no drone. I got in touch with AWE, went over to their headquarters in Horsham, PA after ordering the exhaust and picked it up. I took a tour of their HQ, and I loved what I saw! These guys make every single exhaust to order and they take extreme care and pride in doing so. They also have a Porsche Carerra hard-parked in their lobby...sick.

Sound:

The AWE Touring Resonated sound was exactly what I wanted. If I had to rate it volume wise, I'd give it around 3/5 on a loudness meter. Quality wise, definitely 5/5. It has a GREAT wide open throttle sound, on deceleration it has a nice rumble and slight backfire at a great, deep tone. Idle is tamed, no uneasy sounds, no interior NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Perfect for a daily driver, which mine is of course. The biggest thing that I was looking for was drone. There are so many options out there for this car that are just a 3", non-resonated, drone-city catbacks. That's not what I wanted, and it's not what I got! While this is a 304 Stainless 3 inch diameter, it's got the AWE 180 degree tech built into the muffler to eliminate high-frequencies that ultimately cause the headache inducing drone, and the resonator keeps it from getting too overwhelming for a daily. I'm here for quality, not volume. At 3k-4k RPM's, the sound is awesome, and it's all outside of the car. You can hear it barking, but not in an "I need earplugs and a Tylonol" kind of way. Also, I got the Black Diamond tips - the absolute best look on this car! Of all of the exhausts I've played with, installed, listened to, rev-tested and beat the **** out of, this one fit the best and the BD Tips look the best.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for a catback that has no drone, but does have a fun-as-hell daily driver sound, the AWE Touring Resonated catback is great choice. The Black Diamond tips look amazing, but cost a couple extra bucks. Their Chrome/Silver tips look good too and have a more classic look, which is all personal preference.

·
Vendor
2016 Focus ST
27 Posts
At the end of the day, if you're looking for a catback that has no drone, but does have a fun-as-hell daily driver sound, the AWE Touring Resonated catback is great choice.
Thanks for this great review! The FoST crowd has been amazing to work with and we definitely nailed it on this product line!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd hop on and share my experience with this cutback (and this company, AWE, altogether). I should note that I work for at AmericanMuscle and I deal with exhausts (really all mods) on a daily basis. I've had, or dealt with, my fair share of catbacks ranging from eargasm to migraine inducing.

I have a 2017 Focus ST (bone stock with the exception of a BOV and other small non-performance accessories). I decided to pickup a catback, and my first purchase was a Roush Performance catback - which is essentially a straight pipe (it does have a bullet style muffler, but it doesn't have much baffling). The exhaust was on the louder side and had a ton of drone. Great quality, just too much for my daily.

I decided to switch to the AWE Touring Resonated catback after much research into what would sound good but have little-to-no drone. I got in touch with AWE, went over to their headquarters in Horsham, PA after ordering the exhaust and picked it up. I took a tour of their HQ, and I loved what I saw! These guys make every single exhaust to order and they take extreme care and pride in doing so. They also have a Porsche Carerra hard-parked in their lobby...sick.

Sound:

The AWE Touring Resonated sound was exactly what I wanted. If I had to rate it volume wise, I'd give it around 3/5 on a loudness meter. Quality wise, definitely 5/5. It has a GREAT wide open throttle sound, on deceleration it has a nice rumble and slight backfire at a great, deep tone. Idle is tamed, no uneasy sounds, no interior NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Perfect for a daily driver, which mine is of course. The biggest thing that I was looking for was drone. There are so many options out there for this car that are just a 3", non-resonated, drone-city catbacks. That's not what I wanted, and it's not what I got! While this is a 304 Stainless 3 inch diameter, it's got the AWE 180 degree tech built into the muffler to eliminate high-frequencies that ultimately cause the headache inducing drone, and the resonator keeps it from getting too overwhelming for a daily. I'm here for quality, not volume. At 3k-4k RPM's, the sound is awesome, and it's all outside of the car. You can hear it barking, but not in an "I need earplugs and a Tylonol" kind of way. Also, I got the Black Diamond tips - the absolute best look on this car! Of all of the exhausts I've played with, installed, listened to, rev-tested and beat the **** out of, this one fit the best and the BD Tips look the best.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for a catback that has no drone, but does have a fun-as-hell daily driver sound, the AWE Touring Resonated catback is great choice. The Black Diamond tips look amazing, but cost a couple extra bucks. Their Chrome/Silver tips look good too and have a more classic look, which is all personal preference.

·
Vendor
2016 Focus ST
27 Posts
Hey, we were talking on IG yesterday. I spoke with Engineering and they said they do not have they info here, and went into a long explanation regarding not having the controlled space to accurately measure db consistently. That aside, we have sold many of these and the Civic Type R systems (and tons of BMW systems) to NJ and have heard of 0 issues regarding state inspection. Kies Motorsports is in NJ and one of our bigger BMW dealers and they like things LOUD. Anyhow, I would always say to check with your local shop (not dealer) where you might plan on taking your car for inspection. The Resonated Touring sounds like it will fit the bill for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, we were talking on IG yesterday. I spoke with Engineering and they said they do not have they info here, and went into a long explanation regarding not having the controlled space to accurately measure db consistently. That aside, we have sold many of these and the Civic Type R systems (and tons of BMW systems) to NJ and have heard of 0 issues regarding state inspection. Kies Motorsports is in NJ and one of our bigger BMW dealers and they like things LOUD. Anyhow, I would always say to check with your local shop (not dealer) where you might plan on taking your car for inspection. The Resonated Touring sounds like it will fit the bill for you.
Oh cool!! Lol thanks! Those are Probly way louder
I’m just not even sure about the laws over here so just doing some thinking before I buy one. But all the checks are being checked off so it seems like this is the one
Thanks for ur help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts