Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted on FF as well but I really wanted to spread the joy!

I bought my ST last September and the dealer was nice enough to do a little modding for me from the get-go. To wit, Enkei wheels for the summer tires, and a Cobb cold air intake and cbe. Problem was, the drone at highway speeds was making me crazy. I loved the tone otherwise but for a daily driver, well... I installed sound deadening in the trunk,pulled the symposer (Steeda symposer delete) and that only dropped the drone 6 dB, down to 83 dB from 89 at highway speeds.

I talked to Josh Davis at AWE and after a little discussion, decided to get the AWE Non-resonated Touring Edition. Plonked down the payment and was told it could be a few weeks as it was in queue for production. I placed my order 23 Feb and was in my hot little hands by the 8 Mar. I finally got it installed this weekend and, Wow! Quiet around town, and a great tone when you lay on the throttle! Best of all, no drone! Cruising at a little over 110 KMH and only 72 dB. I can have a normal conversation! Plus, a great little burble and crackle when you're decelerating. Long term plans include a Cobb Stage 1 and Accessport. Then, once the warranty isn't an issue an MFactory LSD. I don't really see the need to go Stage 2 since I won't be autoX or racing but you never know.

I'm putting together a vid of my experience and I'll post a link once it's done. I'm open to questions if anyone wants to know anything about the whole process.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Thanks for including dB readings!!

·
Administrator
12,695 Posts
I've posted on FF as well but I really wanted to spread the joy!

I bought my ST last September and the dealer was nice enough to do a little modding for me from the get-go. To wit, Enkei wheels for the summer tires, and a Cobb cold air intake and cbe. Problem was, the drone at highway speeds was making me crazy. I loved the tone otherwise but for a daily driver, well... I installed sound deadening in the trunk,pulled the symposer (Steeda symposer delete) and that only dropped the drone 6 dB, down to 83 dB from 89 at highway speeds.

I talked to Josh Davis at AWE and after a little discussion, decided to get the AWE Non-resonated Touring Edition. Plonked down the payment and was told it could be a few weeks as it was in queue for production. I placed my order 23 Feb and was in my hot little hands by the 8 Mar. I finally got it installed this weekend and, Wow! Quiet around town, and a great tone when you lay on the throttle! Best of all, no drone! Cruising at a little over 110 KMH and only 72 dB. I can have a normal conversation! Plus, a great little burble and crackle when you're decelerating. Long term plans include a Cobb Stage 1 and Accessport. Then, once the warranty isn't an issue an MFactory LSD. I don't really see the need to go Stage 2 since I won't be autoX or racing but you never know.

I'm putting together a vid of my experience and I'll post a link once it's done. I'm open to questions if anyone wants to know anything about the whole process.
A fmic is super important if you daily drive your car. It's not just for autocross or racing, its for protecting your car from high intake air temps. The OEM is horrible. Most people consider a fmic the first mod you should do to a ST.

Also, yeah the cobb exhaust has some of the worst drone out of any exhaust for our car. Horrible. Glad to see you got rid of it, lol.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm considering the cp-e fmic when the time comes or possibly the Mountune recirc and fmic. It all comes down to cost and when I can stop spending money on other things... Then a tune.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm considering the cp-e fmic when the time comes or possibly the Mountune recirc and fmic. It all comes down to cost and when I can stop spending money on other things... Then a tune.

Price is a consideration then you should look at a Depo fmic. I run the three and a half inch and stage 3 on the stock Turbo. and I'm running an RS lid. My charge temps are usually two to three degrees above ambient. And it bolts right up no issues.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! That's good to know and I'll definitely check it out. Do you run it with the shutters on the front or no? I'd like to make some token attempt at gas mileage and faster warm-ups in the winter. It gets freakin' cold here in December!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe the Steeda FMIC is the same as the CP-E lightweight model, the only difference being the Steeda branding on the front. Depo is an option too, but I think the main issue is stock availability.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I used two different apps to measure, Sound Meter Pro and Spectroid. The first for overall levels and the second to see level and frequency.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Thanks! That's good to know and I'll definitely check it out. Do you run it with the shutters on the front or no? I'd like to make some token attempt at gas mileage and faster warm-ups in the winter. It gets freakin' cold here in December!

My shutters are gone. I still averaged almost 27 miles per gallon. And I drive like an ass most of the time. I think if I tried to drive conservatively I could easily get over 30 miles per gallon. I've seen over 40 on the highway.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't sound any worse than what I'm getting now, and I have a tendency to lean on the throttle more than I should, too.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts