Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I believe he's on the stock turbo, except for some better sealing because of new parts I wouldn't expect a big difference as the stock turbo is the bottleneck.

Understand this, 2.3L with a large enough turbo will exceed the torque rating of all the clutches you can use with the stock dual mass flywheel.

ACT = 565 ft
Spec Stage 3+ = 525 ft

I don't want a noisy clutch assembly so I might stay at 2.0L

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I believe he's on the stock turbo, except for some better sealing because of new parts I wouldn't expect a big difference as the stock turbo is the bottleneck.

Understand this, 2.3L with a large enough turbo will exceed the torque rating of all the clutches you can use with the stock dual mass flywheel.

ACT = 565 ft
Spec Stage 3+ = 525 ft

I don't want a noisy clutch assembly so I might stay at 2.0L
I was thinking 375 to 400 with an LSD will be just fine for my DD and tons of fun. So yeah the 2.0 just might be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Did you make sure each cylinder was at top dead center when doing the leak down test? Also the crank needs to be held sometimes because the compressed air can move the piston down. Do you know what you’re doing?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did you make sure each cylinder was at top dead center when doing the leak down test? Also the crank needs to be held sometimes because the compressed air can move the piston down. Do you know what you’re doing?
Yes, I know what i'm doing. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Most people don’t know how to do a leakdown. I was just going to help if I could. I’m curious what you do find if you break the motor open

Reactions: CaliJoe

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Most people don’t know how to do a leakdown. I was just going to help if I could. I’m curious what you do find if you break the motor open
Thank you, much appreciated. Yes that air pressure will try and move those piston's. It's even more fun on a twin cylinder (Harley), easy to do with the primary cover off because you can secure the crank pulley easy enough but with the cover on you have to deal with the slop of the primary chain, so you have to get it just right.

I'll keep you guys posted when this tear down happens, I'll be keeping a close eye on everything. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build a motor to drop into this thing regardless. I just hope I can take my time gathering pieces for it :smile:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I would build a motor on the side and once it is complete swap it in. Sell off the current motor to a builder.

I should start doing the same. I have 64k on mine now and it seems ok but need to do a comp test just to feel better.
Yep thats the plan. I ran this by the wife and she didn't seem as excited as me haha. I told her this is a hell of a lot cheaper than my last hobby :haha:

Oh it's happening!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Haha it won't be quite that bad :haha:

I have a little update. I started thinking about when I noticed the little drop in boost and it dawned on me that I had just put the new BPV in it a few days before, so I decided to pull it back out and check it out real good, all looks to be just fine. Then I stuck my finger in the hole and felt a burr in there, I was able to pop it off with my fingernail, just a little piece about the size of a grain of sand. Anyways I put the new BPV back in it and I have my 23+ boost back. All I can figure is that that burr was holding the new one up a little on that burr with the brass and rubber piston, where maybe the big stock rubber one would seal over it, IDK but I got my boost back and I'm happy about that.

I still don't care for the big variation in compression and leakdown but for all i know it may have been that way from the start, I'll still be keeping a close eye on things for a while. And I'm still going to build a drop in :cool2:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I’m at 90k and still 150 psi across the board

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I’m at 90k and still 150 psi across the board
Same, well except 83k but close enough
That's fantastic guys! I'm a little bummed because I know my car is not up to its full potential with the varying cylinder pressure, I'll be testing again in a few more hundred miles just to make sure it isn't getting worst. I have to call a guy up here about a block tomorrow. I really don't want to spend the money on a new engine, I want to buy a new guitar lol.

Hey @SIstomper, is there a particular year I should look for?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
That's fantastic guys! I'm a little bummed because I know my car is not up to its full potential with the varying cylinder pressure, I'll be testing again in a few more hundred miles just to make sure it isn't getting worst. I have to call a guy up here about a block tomorrow. I really don't want to spend the money on a new engine, I want to buy a new guitar lol.

Hey @SIstomper, is there a particular year I should look for?
Yeah, personally I would look for a lower mileage 13-14 motor. The later motors seem to have things missing.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...isfire-can-t-get-service-157.html#post2190282
@kdeyoung1 is close to you and has used engines.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah, personally I would look for a lower mileage 13-14 motor. The later motors seem to have things missing.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...isfire-can-t-get-service-157.html#post2190282
@kdeyoung1 is close to you and has used engines.
The only one I have atm is a 70k mileage motor. I'd sell it cheap. If anyone needs it for a build. I also have blocks ready for building.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Very cool! Thanks guys!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts