Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to check my compression just to see how everything is and was surprised to see these #'s of 1=134, 2=131, 3=151 and 4=152. I believe thats more than 10% a cross the board. NOT GOOD! Now what to do :confused:

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tune too. Not going to do anything until I get this taken care of.

Any thoughts on those #'s?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
So I decided to check my compression just to see how everything is and was surprised to see these #'s of 1=134, 2=131, 3=151 and 4=152. I believe thats more than 10% a cross the board. NOT GOOD! Now what to do :confused:

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tune too. Not going to do anything until I get this taken care of.

Yeah...that's oddly varying for 1 and 2. Certainly a reason for concern I'd say. Not really sure what the course of action should be in a situation like that though. @SIstomper what say you? If they were like 140 it wouldn't be iffy but having 2 down in the 130s with 2 at 150s..

It isn't HORRIBLE...but it's concerning I think

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...that's oddly varying for 1 and 2. Certainly a reason for concern I'd say. Not really sure what the course of action should be in a situation like that though. @SIstomper what say you? If they were like 140 it wouldn't be iffy but having 2 down in the 130s with 2 at 150s..

It isn't HORRIBLE...but it's concerning I think
Yes, I'm curious to here some thoughts on this from some people who are more savvy on these little turbo motors. I'll just drive it for a while unless something further develops. Hopefully nothing :serious: Thoughts of 2.3 big turbo LSD keep running through my mind lol

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

Did you do it cold or warm and did you do a leakdown? The #'s can differ somwhat. Dont freak out yet until you do a leakdown

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you do it cold or warm and did you do a leakdown? The #'s can differ somwhat. Dont freak out yet until you do a leakdown
I forgot to mention that, yes it was warm and my elevation here is about 2500'. I'll have to get a leakdown tester. Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Why you doing a compression test anyway?

Did you notice a drop in performance?

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why you doing a compression test anyway?

Did you notice a drop in performance?

Yes, I noticed my boost seemed to be a little down. I could pull 23 +lbs all most 24 sometimes and lately the best i've been able to get is 21.99, so I decided to check it. I don't like the #'s, I don't like that much variation between cylinders. My leakdown tester is suppose to be here tomorrow, if UPS shows up at the normal time I should be able to check it before I leave for work and report my findings.

I put the stock tune back in it (well the COBB stage 0 so I could keep an eye on everything). The car seems to run just fine, starts and idles smooth, still has lots of power, no lights or any kind of weirdness going on. I'm going with what @SIstomper said and not freak out until I find out whats up with the leakdown test.

The only real difference I felt between the stage 3 and the COBB 0 was the throttle response (just have to push the pedal down a bit more for same results) but it seemed to pull just as hard on top. Weird.

Just hoping I don't have to tear into this thing, but I'm not having a good feeling :popped out:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yes, I noticed my boost seemed to be a little down. I could pull 23 +lbs all most 24 sometimes and lately the best i've been able to get is 21.99, so I decided to check it. I don't like the #'s, I don't like that much variation between cylinders. My leakdown tester is suppose to be here tomorrow, if UPS shows up at the normal time I should be able to check it before I leave for work and report my findings.

I put the stock tune back in it (well the COBB stage 0 so I could keep an eye on everything). The car seems to run just fine, starts and idles smooth, still has lots of power, no lights or any kind of weirdness going on. I'm going with what @SIstomper said and not freak out until I find out whats up with the leakdown test.

The only real difference I felt between the stage 3 and the COBB 0 was the throttle response (just have to push the pedal down a bit more for same results) but it seemed to pull just as hard on top. Weird.

Just hoping I don't have to tear into this thing, but I'm not having a good feeling :popped out:
Sounds like another issue. I don't know stock turbo the car never felt that fast. I could only really tell by time slip if something was wrong.

In other words when it ran 13.1 it felt like a 12 second pass. Mid 14 second pass felt no slower than mid 13 second pass.

I wouldn't worry if something internal is wrong, another engine is $600 or less. Then build up the original engine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like another issue. I don't know stock turbo the car never felt that fast. I could only really tell by time slip if something was wrong.

In other words when it ran 13.1 it felt like a 12 second pass. Mid 14 second pass felt no slower than mid 13 second pass.

I wouldn't worry if something internal is wrong, another engine is $600 or less. Then build up the original engine.

Where!? Just in case.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Where!? Just in case.
I found a few on car-parts.com All you need is an engine from an Escape, Edge or Fusion.

In-fact engines from those cars will be cheaper than an ST specific engine. 2015+ no difference other than the ST has an oil cooler.

Reactions: CaliJoe

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a few on car-parts.com All you need is an engine from an Escape, Edge or Fusion.

In-fact engines from those cars will be cheaper than an ST specific engine. 2015+ no difference other than the ST has an oil cooler.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Just with a quick search (Under Ford Escape, 2.0L Turbo) turned up several from $600 down to $300 less the turbo. Mine came less turbo for $550 shipped to the shop where it was installed.

Sistomper put together a basic 2.0L build for just under $1900 with machine work (lined hone with torque plate). No advantage if you run the stock turbo but if that's all you got the car that engine went into has the stock turbo on it for the time being.

With a GTX2860 that would make for a fun combination about 420-430 on race gas (low ethanol content) that is bulletproof. Stock engine is fine there too, so the choice is yours.

Drop-in a used engine and upgrade the turbo (which is what I did) or build it up and get a turbo later.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp they shipped my tester On-Trac so it didn't show up yet, damn! They have a hard time finding my house for some reason. Hopefully it will still show up today so I can do this in the morning.

Dammit!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s a good one, never had this happen before. Apparently my tester was delivered at about 1230 this afternoon and instead of driving up my driveway to my house the driver just left it behind a bush by the mailbox on the highway. WTF! lol That’s old route 66 right there and I’m about a quarter-mile up a dirt road, They’ve been to the house several times, I don’t know what happened this time but get a load of this!
D6D519AA-7F9A-43F7-8CDF-904CF30D15C8.jpeg i

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok the results are in.

Cyl #1 134 lbs at 9% leakdown

Cyl #2 131 at 10%

Cyl #3 151 at 8%

Cyl #4 152 at 4%.

You can hear the air leaking past the rings on 1, 2, and 3.

Bummer, I guess it's time to go big.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Five to 10 percent loss indicates an engine in great to good running order.

An engine between 11 and 20 percent can still run OK, but it’ll be time to keep an eye (or ear) on things. Above 20 percent loss and it may be time for a teardown and rebuild. Thirty percent? Major problems. The percent of leakage should also be consistent across the cylinders. Any great differences indicate a problem in that cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
curious as to what leakdown tester you bought

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Five to 10 percent loss indicates an engine in great to good running order.

An engine between 11 and 20 percent can still run OK, but it’ll be time to keep an eye (or ear) on things. Above 20 percent loss and it may be time for a teardown and rebuild. Thirty percent? Major problems. The percent of leakage should also be consistent across the cylinders. Any great differences indicate a problem in that cylinder.
Yeah I'll definitely be keeping an eye and ear on it. It's the variation that got me a little nervous.

;2240450 said:
curious as to what leakdown tester you bought
The OTC 5609, Amazon, 67 bucks. Worked great no issues.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Based on those leakdown percentages it looks like your engine is in good working order! Are you still concerned Joe?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on those leakdown percentages it looks like your engine is in good working order! Are you still concerned Joe?
A little but just because of the big variation in pressure and leakdown %, I'd be happier if they were a bit closer. I'm not going to worry to much and just drive it.

I just read through @SIstompers 2.3 build page (big mistake) Now I want to start a build no matter what :popped out:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts