Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm throwing around the idea of doing an autocross or two with my car in the near future. I also live about 45 minutes from Barber Motorports Park and could do a trackday. May car is stock performance-wise, just have a few mods as can be seen in my signature...

Questions I have:
- What, if any prep is there for preparing for an autocross event? Should i flush brake fluid for some good DOT4? Any particular brand? Anything else other than making sure oil is relatively fresh (good synthetic) and having an air tank and gauge?
- What prep would I need if i wanted to do a trackday? Can a stock ST even do track days without getting heatsoaked in two laps? Im assuming for a trackday id at minimum need to have flushed brake fluid and hawk pads, and have fresh oil. Need heavier oil for a trackday?
- For either an autocross or trackday, can anyone who has done this with their car tuned let me know if it is unwise or is the car reliable with a tune (typical stratified stage 2 with intercooler)? I've planned to do a Intercooler and Stage 2 tune, but im thinking this may increase risk of blowing something compared to stock?

Note: I will definitely do an autocross before i track the car, if i ever trackday it. Im just curious about both, and im interested to hear peoples experiences when it comes to autocrossing/tracking their ST with a tune....Stock the intercooler is terrible so im wondering how long it would last on a track (autocross should be fine) but it seems like a waste to do an Inter without also getting a tune...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Typically, recommended prep would be upgraded brake fluid and brake pads. I use Motul RBF 600 for fluid.

I personally did not have any issue tracking the FoST completely stock. Though I've read other cases that differ with the heatsoak issue. I think there's plenty of factors such as how hard you're driving the car, the track, the weather, etc.

My FoST has been tuned with upgraded intercooler for about three years now and I've had zero issues at any of my track days. Still running strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I highly recommend swapping pads for a track suited set and fluid for high temp fluid (motul rbf600, redline 600, etc) other than that check your fluids, tire pressures (will need to let air out once tires are hot from a few laps to get pressures down to a normal area), and torque your nuts.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
The FoST is fine stock, it was practically built for autocross and it dominates the G-Street class (SCCA).

I've gone to four Track Night in America events and had no problems (3 x 20 minute sessions with about 50 minutes between them). I'm stock except for FRPP tune package (tune, CAI and plugs). Others experience heat soak, but I've generally been OK. My brake pads (stock) still need to be checked after this past event, but they were fine going into it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like good news, thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I just ran my very first autocross race yesterday with the SCCA in the G Street class. Honestly it was a blast, I had so much fun, more fun than I even expected. My car is completely stock, I have nothing done to it except a resonator delete and the car handled it very well; there was no heatsoak no loss in power whatsoever. Whoever said that the car is built for autocross was right, the setup is perfect to jsut get in and go. As an aside, I ran into someone with a daily driven 2014 stock ST that does every New England SCCA autocross event every year, she's a coordinator or something. She told me that in the 75k miles that she's had the car, she's done nothing but oil, tires, and breaks. How cool is that?

Just check your tires, oil, and other fluids and you'll be good to go. The first day will be spent learning the limits of the car. I ran 37 psi cold all the way around on stock F1's and that was good but I kept stepping the rear end out and I oversteered into a wall of cones. Dropping the psi in the rear by like 5 psi was enough to keep it more in line and that was super helpful but YMMV

Go out there and have fun! Highly recommend doing to autocross event first, it's so easy and incredibly fun. Plus people are more than willing to take you for a spin in their cars

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, I'm getting ready for my first autocross next month so im looking to flush the brake fluid (probably needs it anyhow). What all should I get for this?

- Motul RBF 600 DOT 4: 500ML or 1L?
- Should I invest in speed bleeders? Russell Speed Bleeders 639520? (8mm x 1.25 x 24mm long)?
- Some silicone hose

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey all, I'm getting ready for my first autocross next month so im looking to flush the brake fluid (probably needs it anyhow). What all should I get for this?

- Motul RBF 600 DOT 4: 500ML or 1L?
- Should I invest in speed bleeders? Russell Speed Bleeders 639520? (8mm x 1.25 x 24mm long)?
- Some silicone hose
Invest in a Motive Power bleeder.. far better than speed bleeders and you dont have to worry about refilling the master during bleeding.. I use this thing to bleed brakes and clutches and it makes life easy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts