Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new contender tire winning in quite a few classes at Nats in 2019, I'm curious if anyone else is jumping the RE71R/ Rival S 1.5 ship this season.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not running nats but I’ll be running the yokos for Dixie match and maybe Bristol. Also considering the Grenada and Bristol pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like the A052s? I know that the grip is very good on them, but I'm curious is to how they wear as I've heard mixed opinions, "like they wear like Hoosiers", or "they wear just like the RE71Rs" as long as you have some camber dialed in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure yet. I won’t put them on until February since Dixie is in March that way I only have one or two local events on them. I’ve heard they have better grip in the lower temp range but don’t tolerate the upper temps like the bridgestones. I suspect bridgestone will be quick to retaliate with updated compounds this year. Not sure I want to see a tire war and having to hassle with getting tire rack to send the most recent manufacture date tire.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Will continue with Bridgestones as I'm not going to use Yokos in Street until they can survive with less camber.

If I were in STH, I'd be seriously considering the Yokos and trying to decide whether I could tune them & my driving before the Las Vegas Tour.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will continue with Bridgestones as I'm not going to use Yokos in Street until they can survive with less camber.

If I were in STH, I'd be seriously considering the Yokos and trying to decide whether I could tune them & my driving before the Las Vegas Tour.
I am considering the Yoks since I may have enough camber for them

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think one advantage the yokos have is they are wider than the bridgestones in the same tire size. 1.2 inches wider over 4 tires in 255/35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after speaking with a few national champions that have driven on the A052s, RE71Rs, and Rival S 1.5s, I ended up passing on the A052s for now and running the Rival S 1.5s for this season.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So after speaking with a few national champions that have driven on the A052s, RE71Rs, and Rival S 1.5s, I ended up passing on the A052s for now and running the Rival S 1.5s for this season.
Any reasons you feel like disclosing lol?

I’ve heard the rivals are trickier than the 71s in the wet.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any reasons you feel like disclosing lol?

I’ve heard the rivals are trickier than the 71s in the wet.

Not at all. Speaking with Brian Peters, Alex Piehl, and Jon Lugod, the A052 need a ton of camber, like more than -3 degrees to keep them happy, otherwise they wear away very quickly and worse on our pig heavy FWD platform. Since I'm only doing 1 national event this season, the return on investment of winning and them lasting less than 6 months isn't worth it to me.

As far as wet traction goes, I still have a set of RE71Rs and Nexen's to swap between if I needed to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts