Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ever you able to eliminate the drone? I have the same issue with my 15 ST. Stock dp w/cpe catback.
The short answer is no. I eventually gave up trying to adjust the resonators as I couldn't get them any better than they are.

I was able to reduce the drone, but when the engine is under load in 6th gear, it is still very loud in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I find it almost comical with people complaining about this exhaust, when you put a very well built free flowing exhaust with little to no obstructions how do you expect it to not have some drone or even be loud under load. I just bought the exhaust from another member and I'm researching to see what everyone's experience is and this thread has shown me that I think alot of you guys who are unhappy with the sound or drone have to consider that this exhaust is built for performance first and sound "tuning" second. Now that's my personal opinion on it.. I have a 3" catless downpipe from Levels and I'm fully anticipating that my car is going to be loud and crap. But I'll tinker with the resonators and see if it'll adjust the sound.. but at the end of the day. It has one small center section muffler and two tiny resonators that handle frequency adjust "some"... the only way to reduce the drone will be to maintain a catted downpipe or add an additonal muffler which would be horrible considering you'd have to chop up the CPe exhaust to put one in.. Okay end rant.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I find it almost comical with people complaining about this exhaust, when you put a very well built free flowing exhaust with little to no obstructions how do you expect it to not have some drone or even be loud under load. I just bought the exhaust from another member and I'm researching to see what everyone's experience is and this thread has shown me that I think alot of you guys who are unhappy with the sound or drone have to consider that this exhaust is built for performance first and sound "tuning" second. Now that's my personal opinion on it.. I have a 3" catless downpipe from Levels and I'm fully anticipating that my car is going to be loud and crap. But I'll tinker with the resonators and see if it'll adjust the sound.. but at the end of the day. It has one small center section muffler and two tiny resonators that handle frequency adjust "some"... the only way to reduce the drone will be to maintain a catted downpipe or add an additonal muffler which would be horrible considering you'd have to chop up the CPe exhaust to put one in.. Okay end rant.
I can say with a big turbo/catless dp I seriously needed ear plugs for a long drive at highway speeds it was pretty bad, the Sony "premium" (I use that lightly lol) couldn't drown it with music either lol. But with that being said there isn't a better sounding exhaust(WOT) I've heard in person and I've heard most of them. Also the build quality was freaking amazing other than the rear hangers that are bent at a 90* angle broke on both sides and I had to weld them haha.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got the CPE catted downpipe and this exhaust (exhaust installed a few days ago). This is astronomically louder than I had expected. First of all, the youtube clips do this absolutely no justice in terms of in-cabin volume. I purchased this based off of viewing these clips versus the others... zero raspiness and it seemed fairly quiet. I can only assume the difference is the downpipe vs. the video which must be a stock downpipe. My ears cannot perceive any differences in adjusting the resonators. :( Would the system be quieter if the resonators were left off or is that a bad idea?

A couple of notes on the install:

1. The instructions indicate that the first hanger should be pointing to the driver's side. I found that his is not the case for the pipes I have. Due to the ends where the slits where cut (to slide over the solid pipes), the only way this works is if the hanger is pointing towards the passengers side.

2. The same section of pipe as mentioned above also hangs pretty low under the vehicle and doesn't seem to make use of the available space. Call me crazy but I think this piece of pipe was cut backwards! I think items 1 and 2 are related.

3. The third section of piping which goes over the axle has a hanger on it. The stock system doesn't have a hanger on the pipe at this point. The vehicle itself does have what appears to be an available hanger on it. In my case I had to cut the hanger off of the pipe to be able to get it to fit through there. Probably just my lack of patience...

Unless I can get this quieted down some, I will have to get rid of it as my wife hates it and I am finding it slightly obnoxious. :(

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I've got the CPE catted downpipe and this exhaust (exhaust installed a few days ago). This is astronomically louder than I had expected. First of all, the youtube clips do this absolutely no justice in terms of in-cabin volume. I purchased this based off of viewing these clips versus the others... zero raspiness and it seemed fairly quiet. I can only assume the difference is the downpipe vs. the video which must be a stock downpipe. My ears cannot perceive any differences in adjusting the resonators. :( Would the system be quieter if the resonators were left off or is that a bad idea?

A couple of notes on the install:

1. The instructions indicate that the first hanger should be pointing to the driver's side. I found that his is not the case for the pipes I have. Due to the ends where the slits where cut (to slide over the solid pipes), the only way this works is if the hanger is pointing towards the passengers side.

2. The same section of pipe as mentioned above also hangs pretty low under the vehicle and doesn't seem to make use of the available space. Call me crazy but I think this piece of pipe was cut backwards! I think items 1 and 2 are related.

3. The third section of piping which goes over the axle has a hanger on it. The stock system doesn't have a hanger on the pipe at this point. The vehicle itself does have what appears to be an available hanger on it. In my case I had to cut the hanger off of the pipe to be able to get it to fit through there. Probably just my lack of patience...

Unless I can get this quieted down some, I will have to get rid of it as my wife hates it and I am finding it slightly obnoxious. :(
I'm following your posts on this subject. I've also posted to you a couple times but I'm not sure if you've seen the posts at all. I'm in nc too and was considering buying this exhaust because it is louder and selling my magnaflow which is nice a subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm following your posts on this subject. I've also posted to you a couple times but I'm not sure if you've seen the posts at all. I'm in nc too and was considering buying this exhaust because it is louder and selling my magnaflow which is nice a subtle.
@VenomousSVT - I've seen 'em, don't worry, not ignoring you. I was hoping to get it working at a suitable level and not have to deal with it anymore. Will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
UPDATE: The post from today just reminded me on how much I love and hate this exhaust. I've had it now for 8 weeks an I can tell you with a cat-less down pipe and everything bolted up as nicely as it all fits.. it's unbearably loud. The only time the exhaust sounds good is under little to no throttle and tapping the gas during low RPMS it's overly obnoxious with part or full throttle. This exhaust might as-well be considered a full race exhaust because the muffers do hardly anything. My biggest issue is I love the design and build quality and wish I could customize it by adding another muffler or longer resonators somewhere but it would require cutting up this well built piece of "loud" art.

At this point I'm researching new exhaust options and looking for a stealth exhaust, after going almost 3yrs with everything done to my car besides big turbo and full cat-back I went with the exhaust thinking it would make me fall in love again or more with the car. But in reality it's blindly annoying I can't pass someone on the highway when I'm just crusing without causing a ruckus.

Score:
Build Quality - 9.5/10
Exhaust tips don't match perfect lengths.
Sound under idle lite-lite throttle -8/10
Part Throttle Crusing - 4/10
You cannot get this car to be quiet for you without driving slower than a 84' Toyota Corolla Diesel
RaceCar sounds under heavy throttle w/ Catless DP - 10/10
For loud as crap and annoying fun.

Moral of the story you'll either love this exhaust or hate it. I've slowly drifted to hating it. It's kinda like a fantasy, the pretty hot sexy girl you have all these dreams about them and want to be with them and then when you finally get your chance you find out she's crazy and unstable and you all the sudden want nothing to do with her.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Would those with issues provide photos/videos/audio? Also, if the issues cannot be alleviated, I wonder what the possibilities are...maybe cp-e can design/fabricate different (bigger?) Helmholtz resonators...?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed this exhaust with their catless DP. My intermediary, or "z" section pipe hangs a little low as well. In fact - it causes the brace to hit the exhuast. Did you find this to be the case for you?

I was able to get the axle section of the exhaust in with no issues. I also upgraded my hangers to the cobb urethane hangers to help with rigidity. The Cobb hangers include one for the "axle" section of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
I just installed this exhaust with their catless DP. My intermediary, or "z" section pipe hangs a little low as well. In fact - it causes the brace to hit the exhuast. Did you find this to be the case for you?

I was able to get the axle section of the exhaust in with no issues. I also upgraded my hangers to the cobb urethane hangers to help with rigidity. The Cobb hangers include one for the "axle" section of the exhaust.
Mine hangs a little bit. You should losses the clamps and works the pipes a bit to get a better fit.

Send from another galaxy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I installed a cat-less downpipe to compliment the cp-e Austenite exhaust yesterday. So far, I'm really happy with the setup. I have the resonators extended out, about 1.5 inches in, just enough to clamp them down. At idle, I think the xFlex RMM Stage 2 makes more noise/vibration than the exhaust. At times, I can hear a tinny rattle, but I think it is related to the aluminum heat shield between the exhaust and underbody...I'll get under the car to massage the lining a bit. Other than that, the exhaust sounds great. It only gets brappy at 4000 rpm and above, which is where I want it. I'm sure it would get loud if I tried gassing it in a high gear at low RPM, but I know better to downshift.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be cp-e's choice to mix Standard and Metric hardware...

When I installed my cat-less downpipe, I loosened all of the clamps, adjusted the rear section, and pushed the z-pipe up a bit while tightening down the clamp from the muffler to z-pipe. The stock downpipe seemed to sit a little lower than the CFM downpipe. With the CFM downpipe, the muffler section of the exhaust sits a bit higher, eliminating the issue I had of the exhaust piping resting on the brace. Also, I made sure the third and fourth sections were good, too, then tightened all the clamps down. I'll check on them in a week or so to make sure everything a-okay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
@tmcor after some massaging, I figured out how to best help you with your hanging z-pipe. Loosen the clamps from the muffler to z-pipe and the z-pipe to over-axle pipe. Push the z-pipe elbow near the rear and then tighten the clamps. You should have a lot more clearance between the exhaust and brace and the z-pipe shouldn't sag anymore.

·
Registered
557 Posts

We reccommend tightening the clamps initially so they are snug, or just barely clamping, once you get all the pieces on then start adjusting, each piece should move more freely and it will be easier for you to adjust to make the fit to your liking

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recently purchased this exhaust and researched everywhere except this post (kicking myself as I read this post) and I'm having the same issues as everyone else. I live in the mountains and I swear to god that I'm fearing for my life when I do a 5 mile climb as I'm certain that the massive drone is going to match the natural frequency of my head and it's just going to vaporize. My daughter refuses to ride in my car as it gives her a massive headache. That being said, if you're not on the gas for a long time I actually enjoy the sound and it's a well built exhaust.

I spent half the day Saturday tuning on the resonators and have come to the conclusion that there's no way that the resonators will kill the massive drone if the car is under any load. I went from all the way out to all the way in and everywhere in between. I tried it with the resonators off (quite loud indeed) and I tried blocking the side tubes (turns into a pi$$ed off bee, aka RICER) but nothing seemed to work. My next idea I'm thinking about trying is to find some heat resistant sound dampening material and putting it into the resonators. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently purchased this exhaust and researched everywhere except this post (kicking myself as I read this post) and I'm having the same issues as everyone else. I live in the mountains and I swear to god that I'm fearing for my life when I do a 5 mile climb as I'm certain that the massive drone is going to match the natural frequency of my head and it's just going to vaporize. My daughter refuses to ride in my car as it gives her a massive headache. That being said, if you're not on the gas for a long time I actually enjoy the sound and it's a well built exhaust. I spent half the day Saturday tuning on the resonators and have come to the conclusion that there's no way that the resonators will kill the massive drone if the car is under any load. I went from all the way out to all the way in and everywhere in between. I tried it with the resonators off (quite loud indeed) and I tried blocking the side tubes (turns into a pi$$ed off bee, aka RICER) but nothing seemed to work. My next idea I'm thinking about trying is to find some heat resistant sound dampening material and putting it into the resonators. Any thoughts on this?
I found that if going up hill was creating a lot of drone. I brought my RPM up to 4Kish and let it go back down to cruising speed that it was quite a bit quieter

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I recently purchased this exhaust and researched everywhere except this post (kicking myself as I read this post) and I'm having the same issues as everyone else. I live in the mountains and I swear to god that I'm fearing for my life when I do a 5 mile climb as I'm certain that the massive drone is going to match the natural frequency of my head and it's just going to vaporize. My daughter refuses to ride in my car as it gives her a massive headache. That being said, if you're not on the gas for a long time I actually enjoy the sound and it's a well built exhaust.

I spent half the day Saturday tuning on the resonators and have come to the conclusion that there's no way that the resonators will kill the massive drone if the car is under any load. I went from all the way out to all the way in and everywhere in between. I tried it with the resonators off (quite loud indeed) and I tried blocking the side tubes (turns into a pi$$ed off bee, aka RICER) but nothing seemed to work. My next idea I'm thinking about trying is to find some heat resistant sound dampening material and putting it into the resonators. Any thoughts on this?
Did you try each resonator at different levels like one in all the way and the other out all the way. If you can get them on different frequencies it may help cancel each other out and help hide some of the drone you're getting in the cabin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found that if going up hill was creating a lot of drone. I brought my RPM up to 4Kish and let it go back down to cruising speed that it was quite a bit quieter
This is definitely something to try. It started snowing last night so the car is parked until it clears up a bit. I'll try running in 4th as compared to 5th and 6th.

Did you try each resonator at different levels like one in all the way and the other out all the way. If you can get them on different frequencies it may help cancel each other out and help hide some of the drone you're getting in the cabin
I did. All the way out on both seemed to help the most, but not enough. I'm also thinking about increasing the length of the side pipes. A longer pipe should help with the lower frequencies that are experienced in the shorter rpm ranges.

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
I'm running a cp-e catless turboback. With my setup at around 3.5K rpms there is a very noticeable tone shift. The entire exhaust changes frequency. It also doesn't seem nearly as loud. So for going up hill I do agree with downshifting. This is also better on the engine so you don't create LSPI.

Send from another galaxy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't plan on getting the exhaust any time soon, but if I got it installed at your shop would you make sure it has as minimal drone as possible? In the future I plan on getting your catted downpipe and exhaust installed in the future.

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
I don't plan on getting the exhaust any time soon, but if I got it installed at your shop would you make sure it has as minimal drone as possible? In the future I plan on getting your catted downpipe and exhaust installed in the future.
I'm putting together a video with a good external mic for my catless turboback exhaust. I'll post it here when I get it done.

Sent from another garage.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts