Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first major road trip in the car today and discovered that I have serious drone at all speeds above 60mph. I installed the austenite CBE in december and have been trying to find the sweet spot for the little end caps but I can't get rid of the drone...

I am starting to think that something is wrong with the install but I have already had it checked over by a mechanic once. This leaves me with two questions: where does everyone else have their end caps set? A measurement off the hanger would definitely be appreciated... And was the muffler supposed to be installed oriented a certain way? Everything is bolted up and tight, but could I have the muffler in backwards... ?? Lol that sounds like a crazy question... Thanks and I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
are they really adjustable? I tried to move them in but they only moved an inch before stopping. I put the logo on the resonator facing downward. not a crazy question, it is loud and drones on the high way

Reactions: SC4333

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering that all the marketing material on this catback advertises no drone, I have to believe that something is wrong with my install. I am hopeful anyways. Hopefully more people with this exhaust pipe up... (No pun intended... Lol)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just installed mine not too long ago. I also installed the catless CP-E QKspl downpipe. My exhaust is barely audible cruising at 75. I have the resonators set out as far as they will go, but haven't tried adjusting them since install.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had my first major road trip in the car today and discovered that I have serious drone at all speeds above 60mph. I installed the austenite CBE in december and have been trying to find the sweet spot for the little end caps but I can't get rid of the drone...

I am starting to think that something is wrong with the install but I have already had it checked over by a mechanic once. This leaves me with two questions: where does everyone else have their end caps set? A measurement off the hanger would definitely be appreciated... And was the muffler supposed to be installed oriented a certain way? Everything is bolted up and tight, but could I have the muffler in backwards... ?? Lol that sounds like a crazy question... Thanks and I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Sorry about your drone problem. You have to adjust the resonators. Basically slide the capped tips in and out and go for a drive to see if the adjustment works. We did this to give everyone the most adjust-ability as no 2 cars are exactly the same. Some cars have stock DPs, some have cp-e some have cobb etc.
Try pulling on out and the other all the way in, if that doesn;t work do the opposite. See which one is better. Then you can fine tune from there. Or pull both out as far as you can, then both in as far as you can. We're here to help. Keep us updated and we will do our best to get you to where you need to be. You should be able to eliminate any drone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about your drone problem. You have to adjust the resonators. Basically slide the capped tips in and out and go for a drive to see if the adjustment works. We did this to give everyone the most adjust-ability as no 2 cars are exactly the same. Some cars have stock DPs, some have cp-e some have cobb etc.
Try pulling on out and the other all the way in, if that doesn;t work do the opposite. See which one is better. Then you can fine tune from there. Or pull both out as far as you can, then both in as far as you can. We're here to help. Keep us updated and we will do our best to get you to where you need to be. You should be able to eliminate any drone.
I have been trying that. It seems to have little to no effect. I am wondering if there is an issue with how the front flange is lined up. With the stock down pipe, I was supposed to use the stock gasket, not the included 3" one correct? Also, just to confirm, the direction of flow through the muffler doesn't matter? or is it not possible to bolt the thing up backwards? Thanks for the reply, and I will keep this updated with what I discover.

This of course is also quite hard to do right now as the weather here is ****... lol. I may have to tough it out until spring when I can really get under the car again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed mine not too long ago. I also installed the catless CP-E QKspl downpipe. My exhaust is barely audible cruising at 75. I have the resonators set out as far as they will go, but haven't tried adjusting them since install.
Wow, that definitely is not my experience. I will try putting them as far out as they will go and see what that does. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the cp-e catted down-pipe and CBE. The resonators have been adjusted full out, full in, and a handful of positions in between but I also cannot seem to rid the drone. This past weekend I went on a 800 mile trip through hill country and nearly pulled over to buy some hearing protection. Yes, the drone was THAT bad. This is coming from someone who grew up racing super-comp dragsters. .

You have encouraged me to give it another shot and I sure hope I can lessen, if not eliminate the drone or the CBE will have to go. The cp-e CBE is a VERY well built setup and sounds equally great under WOT and idle, but the drone I seem to inevitably get at highway speeds under load is horrendous. :popped out:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It has been a long time since I adjusted mine, but I believe I have both of the resonator caps near center, but one a little in from center and the other a little out from center. This means each pipe should resonate at a slightly different frequency. If you have both pipes set identically, and they both resonate at the same frequency, it may be louder. The way mine are set it is near silent when cruising between 1800-2200 RPMs. It gets progressively louder the higher the RPM, but that is normal. I do notice it gets louder when under load, like when going up a steep incline, but since Orlando is flat, I rarely have to deal with that. The downpipe you use probably has an impact, since a smaller pipe should mean a higher exhaust velocity, and that would change the resonator frequency if all other things stayed the same. With differences between cars and individual preferences, just try different settings until you find the one that works best for you. There is certainly no need for the symposer with this exhaust, so I did a symposer delete and it sounds much better now.

Reactions: www.cp-e.com

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have been trying that. It seems to have little to no effect. I am wondering if there is an issue with how the front flange is lined up. With the stock down pipe, I was supposed to use the stock gasket, not the included 3" one correct? Also, just to confirm, the direction of flow through the muffler doesn't matter? or is it not possible to bolt the thing up backwards? Thanks for the reply, and I will keep this updated with what I discover.

This of course is also quite hard to do right now as the weather here is ****... lol. I may have to tough it out until spring when I can really get under the car again.
I have the cp-e catted down-pipe and CBE. The resonators have been adjusted full out, full in, and a handful of positions in between but I also cannot seem to rid the drone. This past weekend I went on a 800 mile trip through hill country and nearly pulled over to buy some hearing protection. Yes, the drone was THAT bad. This is coming from someone who grew up racing super-comp dragsters. .

You have encouraged me to give it another shot and I sure hope I can lessen, if not eliminate the drone or the CBE will have to go. The cp-e CBE is a VERY well built setup and sounds equally great under WOT and idle, but the drone I seem to inevitably get at highway speeds under load is horrendous. :popped out:
Yeah it definitely takes some fine tuning. Some people luck out and get it on the first try, but I have personally been in a FoST that had the drone, but after some adjustments there isn't any at all. In hindsight we probably should have documented what we were doing for these exact situations. But like I said, Each car is different so we wanted to give our customers the best range/adjust-ability. We hope you guys get it all sorted out. As always we are here to help so keep us updated

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this issue before I put a tune on the car. I mean I would hope you put a tune on the car just for the sake of performance and durability, but for the two days I was without a tune there was an obnoxious amounts of drone.

·
Registered
557 Posts

How are you coming along with the adjustments?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are you coming along with the adjustments?
We just got 12 inches of snow yesterday and it has been -12 celsius, so I haven't had a chance to do anything :) Living in canuckistan can be difficult sometimes.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What rpm do you normally shift? Drone problem could be related to that, I have the MBRP but I have been behind somebody with a CPE for a cruise and there was no drone and not much noticeable beyond stock untill highway 70-80 mph, which is usually 4-5k rpm in 6th

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure about this one but I read a symposer can make that happen, do you have a symposer oor delete. That might be the answer!?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the boomba symposer delete now. It had no impact on drone.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I too have a terrible highway 70-75mph drone I've been all the way out and all the way in with no change I need to keep messing with them. I love the sound of this exhaust though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I too have a terrible highway 70-75mph drone I've been all the way out and all the way in with no change I need to keep messing with them. I love the sound of this exhaust though.
You can also try left side all the way out and right side all the way in. There are hundreds of possibilities. We chose this type of resonator because everyone has different setups different rpm ranges create different outcomes. THis way you can tune the drone out with whatever setup you have.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Ever you able to eliminate the drone? I have the same issue with my 15 ST. Stock dp w/cpe catback.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts