Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, after looking through some posts here I decided to upgrade my ST1 Audio. Keeping the stock h/u I ended up buying 2 sets of infinity Primus PR6500cs at the recommendation of a couple posts. Next I had laying around an old 4 channel 1000w amp, I was looking to spend as small amount I can so I just wired it using the high level inputs, So from the back of the head unit speaker wire is spliced in ran to the amp. My front output wires I ran back behind the head unit and used the factory harness for the rest of the way, My rears are spliced in right before the rear door.

Now the peculiar problem I am having is when I use my balance on the H/u the driver side or Left works when moved to the left, but if I move to the right I get no sound. Center will play all speakers. My Fade works properly.
The head unit has 4 channels
Ch1 Front Left
Ch2 Front Right
Ch3 Rear Left
Ch4 Rear Right

The amp itself never labeled anything for being left right front back ect. But I will say that each of the channels are grouped, they use 6 pin connectos channel 1 and 2 are together with a ground wire and channel 3 and 4 are together.

anyone ever run into this before or know anything about it. I am pretty new to messing with speaker amps and component systems.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
assuming that your wiring is correct, it could be a problem with the amp or the settings. I'd check to see of there is a switch on the amp for "fader" or "2ch/4ch" those switches could be set wrong and its not actually accepting 4 discrete channels of sound and then you may have some of the channels switched around.

for instance, if the amp is set to only use two channels of input, and the channels you have hooked up are just the left two channels... which could be why sound only plays when the balance is set to center or left and when fading all the way to the left, the right doesn't fade out.

if you can post the exact model number of the amp, I can look it up to see if it has those kinds of settings.

also, its much better to refer to amps power rating only by its RMS power rating, I'd personally never talk about its max power rating (aka it being called a 1000w) as most of the time that number is complete BS and no where near close to accurate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wellllll in my infinite wisdom I found the problem, amp is fine. Turns out the right side speakers were wired out of phase (not my fault) but also my inputs were completely wired wrong as well (was my fault) I honostly don't know how anything was playing at all lol. But it's all sorted out and sounds amazing!

In case you were wondering the amp is a volfenhag zx-7170 which I'm pretty sure I found in the trash, not bad for a garbage find! And these speakers are way better than the stock st1 crap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts