Ford Focus ST Forum banner
6741 - 6760 of 6793 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST / 2007 GT500
13 Posts
Hello, can anyone tell me if the stock ST turbo is the same for all years 13-18? Was looking around online and noticed people selling them on eBay and they’re mostly advertised as 13-15 models or 15-18? I have a 14 and was looking for a new/newer stock replacement.

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts
Hello, can anyone tell me if the stock ST turbo is the same for all years 13-18? Was looking around online and noticed people selling them on eBay and they’re mostly advertised as 13-15 models or 15-18? I have a 14 and was looking for a new/newer stock replacement.
They are all KO3 turbos.

·
Registered
2014 Ingot Silver
19 Posts
Anyone know how to contract a mod? I can’t send a PM on account of needing to interact on an intro thread, but I’ve already done that and I was able to send PM’s a week ago

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST (ST2)
24 Posts
Soooooo.....yet another n00b multi question:

1. Do our cars need a turbo timer?
2. If so, is there a preferred brand/type?
3. Does anyone actually use those anymore? I never really hear anything about them.

I hope one of you wise souls out there can enlighten me, please and thank you :)

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
700 Posts

3. Does anyone actually use those anymore? I never really hear anything about them.

I hope one of you wise souls out there can enlighten me, please and thank you :)
They are not needed, unless you're doing some serious racing and are forgetful.

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

No...The turbo is water cooled. Even after the engine is shut off convection will keep some water flowing.

·
Registered
2014 Ingot Silver
19 Posts
Lemme hop in here:

1. How do bov’s (I have a boomba) vent at such low rpm’s if the turbo isn’t making boost? Shifting from first to second at pretty much any rpm above 2k makes a pshhhh noise, but the boost gauge never moves off of 0
2. I’ve been reading about using a sound symposer delete to run the bov instead of the ecu or whatever, but is the flutter this causes bad? I know it’s the compressed air escaping back through the turbo instead of the bov, but on closed throttle will this hurt anything?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Lemme hop in here:

1. How do bov’s (I have a boomba) vent at such low rpm’s if the turbo isn’t making boost? Shifting from first to second at pretty much any rpm above 2k makes a pshhhh noise, but the boost gauge never moves off of 0
2. I’ve been reading about using a sound symposer delete to run the bov instead of the ecu or whatever, but is the flutter this causes bad? I know it’s the compressed air escaping back through the turbo instead of the bov, but on closed throttle will this hurt anything?
1. Even though you don't see boost on the guage, it's possible you're making 1-5lbs of boost. These turbos spool extremely quickly.
It's possible you're hearing the return to the vacuum the motor pulls too. The car sits at like -10 psi at idle, if you're getting to 1 psi, it still will vent that little bit to get back to vacuum.

2. That's subject to debate. If you're worried about turbo longevity, it's best to get an adjustable BOV to prevent the flutter.
I've heard that it's fine and won't hurt the car, and I've also heard that it's bad.

As long as there isn't extreme surging, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
I've know a guy with a boomba running true vacuum for around 60k miles and he hasn't had any issues.

If you don't care about maybe possible damage to the turbo, full send and true vacuum it.
Turbos are cheap for these anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,795 Posts
Lemme hop in here:

To go further in depth to what skykri said, our engines have a vacuum pump attached to the head that is always creating vacuum. This vacuum is used to control the BOV at any time the ECM desires.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Will I need a defouler for a 100 cell dp? I'm in VA. We don't have emissions. Not sure about obd2 tho.
I'd go ahead and get one, or get your tuner to turn it off. It really depends on where you are in the state. Some places won't pass you if there's a CEL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd go ahead and get one, or get your tuner to turn it off. It really depends on where you are in the state. Some places won't pass you if there's a CEL.
I ordered one. Can you get dinged on a visual for having one? I'm south btw. Newport News.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I ordered one. Can you get dinged on a visual for having one? I'm south btw. Newport News.
Lol. That's not south, that's east.
I've never had anyone say anything about mine, but mine looks like is has a cat but there's nothing inside of it. Buddy of mine got failed because he rolled into a shop with a CEL on and a test pipe (straight catless) and he has an AWE track exhaust. He was from Richmond though so they're all foo fooey there.
I've heard they're relatively strict out your way too though.
I bet if you don't have a CEL and keep your under tray on the car, you'll have little to no issues as long as your car isn't obnoxiously loud at idle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lol. That's not south, that's east.
I've never had anyone say anything about mine, but mine looks like is has a cat but there's nothing inside of it. Buddy of mine got failed because he rolled into a shop with a CEL on and a test pipe (straight catless) and he has an AWE track exhaust. He was from Richmond though so they're all foo fooey there.
I've heard they're relatively strict out your way too though.
I bet if you don't have a CEL and keep your under tray on the car, you'll have little to no issues as long as your car isn't obnoxiously loud at idle.
😬 I have the awe track as well. It's not overly loud currently. But I know it will get louder with the dp. I did order the catted one because I knew we were kinda strict this way.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
😬 I have the awe track as well. It's not overly loud currently. But I know it will get louder with the dp. I did order the catted one because I knew we were kinda strict this way.
Come take a visit to Lynchburg. I've got a guy. Lol

6741 - 6760 of 6793 Posts