Ford Focus ST Forum banner

6541 - 6547 of 6547 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can skip gears both upshift and downshift. Go easy on the clutch -> rev match. When skipping gears upshifting, try not to get into very low revs and flooring it at the same time

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I plan on installing my catted Cobb DP soon and have heard about possibly needing a defouler added. My question for you all is that if I get a custom tune, could they deactivate the CEL thus not needing to buy a defouler? I would rather save the money from buying a defouler and use it for a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
So I plan on installing my catted Cobb DP soon and have heard about possibly needing a defouler added. My question for you all is that if I get a custom tune, could they deactivate the CEL thus not needing to buy a defouler? I would rather save the money from buying a defouler and use it for a custom tune.
Most tuners will deactivate the downstream O2 sensor as default for a stage 3 tune. I however asked to leave the downstream sensor active and I used the defiler so I can pass my annual inspection in New York state. If you don't have emissions where you live then you don't need to worry about it. if you're like me and live in New York or somewhere similar where they check the readiness of the monitors through the OBD2 port then you'll need a defouler or revert back to a stage 2 tune for your monitors are ready. If you live in Cali I probably wouldn't even bother with a downpipe.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Live in Texas, might just do the defouler so don't have to deal with issues

Most defoulers are basically the same. But I recommended the vibrant j style defouler. With the Cobb downpipe you may be able to run the largest insert as it's 200 cell. I believe I'm running the middle-sized insert my 100 cell catted downpipe. Also make sure once installed that the defouler is at a slightly upwards angle so no fluids can collect in the defouler around the sensor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Live in Texas, might just do the defouler so don't have to deal with issues
If you don't have emissions, then you don't need a defouler, just make sure the tuner deactivates the downstream O2 sensor so you don't have a constant CEL.

If you do have emissions and/or you simply don't want any sensor readiness altered, get the defouler mentioned by @G heinrich and ask the tuner not to alter your O2 sensor readiness. I also run this in Oregon and have had no CEL's and pass emissions no problems

6541 - 6547 of 6547 Posts