Ford Focus ST Forum banner

6501 - 6520 of 6537 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi,

i just did the balanced shaft delete, oil pan and the oil radiator.

my question is that when i was testing the car i heard a sound that starts at 3000rpm.
this sound is normal after have did the bsd?

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my very first post on this site. I am the definition of noob. About 4 months ago I bought a used 2017 Focus ST with the magnetic paint job. It's gorgeous and so much fun to drive.

However, I do have some issues with the car. When I bought it, there were a series of mods that were done to the exhaust and also to the blow off valve. I am not sure which make or model of blow off valve was installed. Do you know how I can find that out? As far as the exhaust, the mechanic at the dealership where I bought the car said it had a cobb cat-back exhaust system. He also said it had a cobb downpipe, but I honestly don't know if it has the catted downpipe or not.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I love the car but can't handle the volume of the exhaust. I'm not sure though whether I should go back to stock or if there is another system I should look at that lacks the loud gutteral noises coming out of the car.

Is it possible to trade this exhaust system with someone else with something stock? I have no idea how many miles are on this system or if there is any way to see how much life is left in these parts.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me! Thank you so much in advance for sharing your expertise.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Is it possible to trade this exhaust system with someone else with something stock? I have no idea how many miles are on this system or if there is any way to see how much life is left in these parts.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me! Thank you so much in advance for sharing your expertise.
If I was you, I would rather go to a good exhaust shop and have it modified. Should still be cheaper than a new exhaust.
If it isn't straight piped, there should be a muffler which can be stuffed with more insulation wool.
Or if it does not have one yet, you can have a resonator added. A capable shop should be able to do both for ~$500 I think.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Id think way less. I had a resonator installed today. Probably overpaid, $80 for the tube, $100 for the install - So Cal labor rates. The guy literally installed it in 15 minutes. Completely tamed a 100 cel depo catted dp and borla system. Was way too loud before, now it's perfect. It's a 14" magnaflow resonator.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Id think way less. I had a resonator installed today. Probably overpaid, $80 for the tube, $100 for the install - So Cal labor rates.
I'm not really familiar with the prices in the US. So I just assumed what would be a mediocre price here and converted it to USD.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I was just wondering if a downpipe is worth it on a stock exhaust setup.
If you want a stage 3 tune w/ intercooler and high flow filter (and don’t have sniff testing in your state / can pass emissions w/ a defouler) then absolutely, downpipe is worth it, as it’s more restrictive than the exhaust (which is not necessary for stage 3).

But no swapping the downpipe w/o tuning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want a stage 3 tune w/ intercooler and high flow filter (and don’t have sniff testing in your state / can pass emissions w/ a defouler) then absolutely, downpipe is worth it, as it’s more restrictive than the exhaust (which is not necessary for stage 3).

But no swapping the downpipe w/o tuning.
I have the Cobb high flow filter and a velossatek snorkel, but a stock fmic. Would an access port be adequate or would I need a legit tune?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
I thought I would give a little back story to what potentially could be the worst questions ever asked below.
To get to the point, I'm a chick who knows pretty much nothing about cars but has always had an interest in how guys talk about it amongst themselves. I listen and wish I understood because I have a genuine interest in them and what these guys do with tuning.
The reason for wanting to learn is because I'm looking into making a step up into the bigger leagues with the boys and buying a Ford Focus ST.
However I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end. Which brings me to the question as to whether anyone would be interested in helping me understand everything including tuning, what's involved, what can be done, what I should be looking for, the car lingo, what I should expect to be asked from people and just ST knowledge.

I know it's a lot to ask and I'm trying to do as much research as possible. But thought I'd bite the bullet! I really don't want to get into this not knowing anything and look like a complete idiot.

Sincerely, a chick who just has a love for fast cars and is sick of a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys,
I thought I would give a little back story to what potentially could be the worst questions ever asked below.
To get to the point, I'm a chick who knows pretty much nothing about cars but has always had an interest in how guys talk about it amongst themselves. I listen and wish I understood because I have a genuine interest in them and what these guys do with tuning.
The reason for wanting to learn is because I'm looking into making a step up into the bigger leagues with the boys and buying a Ford Focus ST.
However I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end. Which brings me to the question as to whether anyone would be interested in helping me understand everything including tuning, what's involved, what can be done, what I should be looking for, the car lingo, what I should expect to be asked from people and just ST knowledge.

I know it's a lot to ask and I'm trying to do as much research as possible. But thought I'd bite the bullet! I really don't want to get into this not knowing anything and look like a complete idiot.

Sincerely, a chick who just has a love for fast cars and is sick of a 4 cylinder.
We're all here to help. Dive in, buy the car, and learn along the way. I've been wrenching for years but knew practically nothing about this specific platform until i bought mine 6 months ago and began hanging around these forums.

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Hey guys,

There is a ton to learn here but most of it is geared towards people who know a little bit to start. I'd start watching some youtube videos from Engineering Explained. He gets in depth about aspects of cars that might help you understand more. Also ask questions here, don't feel ashamed, we all started somewhere.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

No one is going to be judgy here. You could buy an ST and keep it completely stock and it would still be a fun and cool car. Then once you have the car, then you can start learning hands on.

In the meantime, if cars are a big interest in you, just start consuming everything you can; crap ton of youtubers out there that go over everything possible, just pick a category. Start watching something that interests you and YT will start suggesting more. Tell us what you are interested in and we can steer you in the right direction. Plenty of written material on this site as well

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
hmm, a chick with a stick...i'd be real carefull about this one guys!!! lmfao ⚠

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
this is going to be an interesting thread, lets see who takes the bait!!! autobots transform!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Taking the bait, I’ve searched but what’s the max dimensions for a intercooler like would a 31x11x3 work? I noticed most are 28x7x2.5-5

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Taking the bait, I’ve searched but what’s the max dimensions for a intercooler like would a 31x11x3 work? I noticed most are 28x7x2.5-5

I doubt that'll fit. If you're trying to do it on a budget just get one from Depot. You won't find a better price on a brand new intercooler that bolts right up to factory mounting locations and charge pipes.

6501 - 6520 of 6537 Posts