Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,550 Posts
Hey guys,
I thought I would give a little back story to what potentially could be the worst questions ever asked below.
To get to the point, I'm a chick who knows pretty much nothing about cars but has always had an interest in how guys talk about it amongst themselves. I listen and wish I understood because I have a genuine interest in them and what these guys do with tuning.
The reason for wanting to learn is because I'm looking into making a step up into the bigger leagues with the boys and buying a Ford Focus ST.
However I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end. Which brings me to the question as to whether anyone would be interested in helping me understand everything including tuning, what's involved, what can be done, what I should be looking for, the car lingo, what I should expect to be asked from people and just ST knowledge.

I know it's a lot to ask and I'm trying to do as much research as possible. But thought I'd bite the bullet! I really don't want to get into this not knowing anything and look like a complete idiot.

Sincerely, a chick who just has a love for fast cars and is sick of a 4 cylinder.
We're all here to help. Dive in, buy the car, and learn along the way. I've been wrenching for years but knew practically nothing about this specific platform until i bought mine 6 months ago and began hanging around these forums.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
Thanks for the response. This is my first modified car, so I haven't really paid attention to how thorough they are with the visual, but from what I've heard they're pretty thorough. I've also heard that even catted dps will fail. But I think you're right, the EFR turbo might be my best bet, although the turbo fitting is different from stock, so if the downpipe won't pass I'd have to swap everything back anyway. It's a nightmare trying to get this to work.
Since pretty much all these big turbo kits retain stock downpipe location, just reinstall the stock downpipe for inspection and dont run the car hard while its on there. It's kind of a pain but easier than moving to a different state! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
To add to what was said above, if you have access to an air compressor, a way to check for windshield leaks is to spray a foaming glass cleaner on the outside of the windows edge, and use compressed air to blow on the inside of the windshield, and see if the foam blows away.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
It's 499. Which isn't bad. The "beast" from depo is 439. Would you go with the cvf over the beast for stock turbo (maybe upgrade in the future) any downside to running such a large intercooler so soon?
People run the larger intercoolers stock turbo with no detrimental effects. You will be just fine.

Reactions: Grullo

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
All 12.4 is usable? And just in case my estimation of fuel in tank is off, is it better to be over or under slightly on e?
Both are bad for different reasons. Use the fuel level percentage on the AP once you've been sitting still for a minute and it should get you close enough as far as volumes are concerned.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
I was unaware that the AP had that feature with our cars. Appreciate it man.
Oh yeah! Its a real time reading so when you pull up to the pump you'll see the numbers bouncing around with the fuel slosh. Just got to sit for a second and wait for the fuel to settle down to get an accurate reading.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
And you recommend a particular brand of tester? Was probably gonna go with whatever the parts store had. I'm seeing holley at most of them.
I dont own one (my buddy runs his drag cars on e85 and tests at the station i use, i take his word for it) but guys are saying to get the glass one with the etched graduations. Paint and stickered graduations dissolve.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
Lemme hop in here:

1. How do bov’s (I have a boomba) vent at such low rpm’s if the turbo isn’t making boost? Shifting from first to second at pretty much any rpm above 2k makes a pshhhh noise, but the boost gauge never moves off of 0
2. I’ve been reading about using a sound symposer delete to run the bov instead of the ecu or whatever, but is the flutter this causes bad? I know it’s the compressed air escaping back through the turbo instead of the bov, but on closed throttle will this hurt anything?
To go further in depth to what skykri said, our engines have a vacuum pump attached to the head that is always creating vacuum. This vacuum is used to control the BOV at any time the ECM desires.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
Okay folks, talk me into not buying a ST tomorrow.

It's a 2015 Canadian Stage 3. Anything I should watch for at the dealer on the car? Any advice is appreciated, totally new member here but I've done the online forum thing many times.
Stage 3, or st3?

Aside from the typical things to look out for (rust, etc) Get a compression check done. A lot of these cars are returned to stock before being traded in, and you have no idea what the history is. Helps to have a good bill of health for the engine going into it.

Also reasearch LSPi here on the forums (using the search bar) and make sure you avoid it when you gwr the car. You can blow it up in short order just by driving it wrong.

Reactions: gemery

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
ST3. Sorry still figuring out the lingo.

I'm safe compression wise I think. This one came off lease. No molestation, it was dealer serviced and inspected. Someone was crazy enough to lease a 40K car for 6 years and it's my luck it there. I'll ask if they can do one though.
6 year lease? Thats wild!

You'll have to pay for a compression test, that wont be a freebie.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
I wouldn't of believed it but in Alberta you can pull the registry information through AMVIC if your dealer is up for it. The car was a lease, and there's proof in the registry up until last month. It's at a GM dealer because they did a trade with the shortage of used of up right now. You Americano's are stealing most of our used cars. This one likely would of spent one more week on lot and then, poof, off to the US for 20% more money but 90ish days before payment.
Well i hope it turns out to be a nice car and you can make a deal! Keep us posted

Reactions: TressN

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
Hey there friends, I’m having an issue with my Bov not holding pressure. Was fine a couple of days ago, I haven’t installed anything new or something. I am curious if it is just the Bov needing tightening or what? I’m lost af haha

This is common. They get dirty and start sticking. Follow that video on how to clean and lube it. I think they recommend every 6 months to prevent this From happening.

Reactions: Red Pepper
1 - 17 of 17 Posts