Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 6496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been asked, Hemicouple and I felt this should be a Cone of Safety area for new users.

For those that just arrived and joined in that are not familiar with the layout can come to ask a question without fear of being flamed.

Let this begin now. For those with the answers can respond in kind.

And it's a sticky!

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
For people answering the questions: This is the noob section, this is a noob thread. Please feel free to answer questions to the best of your ability. HOWEVER do not flame. this is the only place noobs can ask about blow off valves and which tune is best without catching the wrath of the community.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other note........you all were Noobs at one time so please remember that!

·
Registered
972 Posts
What is the screw size/thread spec for the license plate holes? My dealer gave me 4 galvanized screws but they frankly look like s#$t. Woouldnt mind getting some brass or stainless screws to step things up a notch.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
972 Posts
How often do you guys check your air pressure? Once a week? I've ordered a nice pressure gauge from Amazon so I don't have to depend on the crappy one at the gas station.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What is the screw size/thread spec for the license plate holes? My dealer gave me 4 galvanized screws but they frankly look like s#$t. Woouldnt mind getting some brass or stainless screws to step things up a notch.

They did the same for me. I went to Lowes and purchased some similar to these. I just compared the bolts they gave me to some similar to these. I liked the look.

http://www.microfasteners.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Socket-Cap-Screw.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How often do you guys check your air pressure? Once a week? I've ordered a nice pressure gauge from Amazon so I don't have to depend on the crappy one at the gas station.

Depends on the weather, if the temp is constant I do a visual check and confirm once a month. Up and down temps I get a bit crazy with once a week.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

Check it as soon as you take delivery, it is common practice for the dealer to fill them very high to keep from developing flat spots while sitting on the lot, I check my air pressure every week because I go to the drag strip every chance I get and I always let a lot of air out

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

Good move Scrum. Tire pressure should be regularly monitored, and with a quality tool; not a gas station gauge. I check mine once a week, or if there's a big swing in the weather, I always adjust the pressure. I recommend ditching the spare and carrying a light weight compressor and a plug kit. A five horsepower bump for 30 bucks. JP

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Good move Scrum. Tire pressure should be regularly monitored, and with a quality tool; not a gas station gauge. I check mine once a week, or if there's a big swing in the weather, I always adjust the pressure. I recommend ditching the spare and carrying a light weight compressor and a plug kit. A five horsepower bump for 30 bucks. JP
most "performance" cars come with a tube of slime and a plug kit instead of a spare.

I had to replace mine in my SRT a couple times

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
most "performance" cars come with a tube of slime and a plug kit instead of a spare.

I had to replace mine in my SRT a couple times
Use canned aerosol tire repair products with caution. They can mess with your TPMS sensors, and many tire shops will add a pretty steep fee for cleaning up the mess. Additionally, they can make an inconspicuous leak very difficult for the shop to locate when they put the tire in the tank. JP

·
Registered
289 Posts
Use canned aerosol tire repair products with caution. They can mess with your TPMS sensors, and many tire shops will add a pretty steep fee for cleaning up the mess. Additionally, they can make an inconspicuous leak very difficult for the shop to locate when they put the tire in the tank. JP
Which plug kit would you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On another note, slime is a temporary get to the tire repair place and get it fixed solution. DO NOT leave the slime in the tire/rim for a long period of time, this will cure and then knock the tire/rim out of balance. Correct, most places will charge extra to get the gunk out when doing a repair.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Which plug kit would you recommend?
Mac, I use the NAPA plug kit. It comes with a reamer and a plug insert tool, both of which have a nice large T-handle the gives you the grip and leverage you need to get the job done. JP

·
Registered
661 Posts
And make sure you trim the excess of the plug, especially if its in the sidewall, because that thing flopping around while you drive will make the hole bigger and nullify the repair.

1 - 20 of 6496 Posts